Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jun 30, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #76 of 658
If I finally decide which dac i want to buy, one with I2S input, I will probably make my own DDC with I2s / without AES/SPDIF, and will compare with MX-U8.
But that will be something for autumn I suppose,,,,,

I look forward to hearing your result, as I encounter DSD channel mix (not swap) with my DAC via I2S/DSD (RJ45).
As far as I know, there are not so many DAC models with I2S/DSD input (not via HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD).
Audio-gd / L.K.S. MH-DA002, MH-DA003 / YSDZ: DA-03 (This is a Chinese design house which is very likely to have something to do with Mytek.)

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #77 of 658
  I look forward to hearing your result, as I encounter DSD channel mix (not swap) with my DAC via I2S/DSD (RJ45).
As far as I know, there are not so many DAC models with I2S/DSD input (not via HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD).
Audio-gd / L.K.S. MH-DA002, MH-DA003 / YSDZ: DA-03 (This is a Chinese design house which is very likely to have something to do with Mytek.)

Hi Minorisuke,

You've encountered DSD Channelmix, please explain, is it some sort of crosstalk between the channels you hear?
Did you compare I2S pinout from your DAC with MX-U8? What kind of DAC you have?

It's not that difficult to try making an I2S RJ45 cable, at least, if you have the krimp-tool, just to try if you can sort-out the problem.

Cheers   
beerchug.gif

Alex

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #78 of 658
Minorisuke,

Maybe it's a good idea to try the Audio-GD I2S kits.

I Am planning to use one I2S output kit, but I have to buy an I2S dac first before i will try this,,,,,,

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/diy/I2Skits/I2SEN.htm

Input module cost $18 excluding shippingcosts
Output module cost $20 excluding shippingcosts

Maybe worth to try?

Cheers    
beerchug.gif

Alex

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #79 of 658

Hi Minorisuke,

You've encountered DSD Channelmix, please explain, is it some sort of crosstalk between the channels you hear?
Did you compare I2S pinout from your DAC with MX-U8? What kind of DAC you have?

Thank you for your reply.  I have tried everything I could do.  I know Audio-gd I2S kit that converts HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD to "normal" I2S/DSD.
I am 100% sure that the pin assignment of my hand-made cable is correct, as PCM files can be played correctly.  Except GND, there are only three: DATA, LRCK, BCLK (for DSD: RDATA, LDATA, DSDCLK).
My DAC is equivalent to LKS MH-DA002 and I have already consulted with its circuit designer, a Japanese man.  It does not accept MCLK input.
With my DSD test file, "Left Channel" voice which should come only from the left loudspeaker stays in the middle, "Right Channel" the same.  Strangely, it has a depth.  "Leff" stays in front, "Right" in the back.  This happens both with MX-U8 and U12 via Tanly conversion board (HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD to "normal" I2S/DSD, similar to Audio-gd I2S kit).
On the other hand, the internal USB-I2S/DSD board of my DAC works perfectly with DSD.  Combo384 is said to work fine too, as it is also an option as the internal USB-I2S/DSD board of this DAC.  I connected the output of MX-U8 directly to this internal pins, but the DSD channel mix still happens.
I asked some owners of U12 and DAC-X12 in the forum and all replied DSD playback was correct.

What I have not tested yet is to connect MX-U8 or [U12+Tanly conversion board] output to a different DAC that has I2S/DSD input (not HDMI LVDS like DAC-X12, W4S, PS Audio).

Therefore, I am curious if you get a DAC with I2S/DSD input (not HDMI LVDS), connect MX-U8 to it, and play DSD files.

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #80 of 658
  Thank you for your reply.  I have tried everything I could do.  I know Audio-gd I2S kit that converts HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD to "normal" I2S/DSD.
I am 100% sure that the pin assignment of my hand-made cable is correct, as PCM files can be played correctly.  Except GND, there are only three: DATA, LRCK, BCLK (for DSD: RDATA, LDATA, DSDCLK).
My DAC is equivalent to LKS MH-DA002 and I have already consulted with its circuit designer, a Japanese man.  It does not accept MCLK input.
With my DSD test file, "Left Channel" voice which should come only from the left loudspeaker stays in the middle, "Right Channel" the same.  Strangely, it has a depth.  "Leff" stays in front, "Right" in the back.  This happens both with MX-U8 and U12 via Tanly conversion board (HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD to "normal" I2S/DSD, similar to Audio-gd I2S kit).
On the other hand, the internal USB-I2S/DSD board of my DAC works perfectly with DSD.  Combo384 is said to work fine too, as it is also an option as the internal USB-I2S/DSD board of this DAC.  I connected the output of MX-U8 directly to this internal pins, but the DSD channel mix still happens.
I asked some owners of U12 and DAC-X12 in the forum and all replied DSD playback was correct.

What I have not tested yet is to connect MX-U8 or [U12+Tanly conversion board] output to a different DAC that has I2S/DSD input (not HDMI LVDS like DAC-X12, W4S, PS Audio).

Therefore, I am curious if you get a DAC with I2S/DSD input (not HDMI LVDS), connect MX-U8 to it, and play DSD files.

Ok, that's loud and clear, don't have any clue why this happens. I don't think I will buy an I2S DSD DAC soon, at least not before the end of the year,
but, if I get one, I will test it off course!

Hope you can solve it in the meantime!

Btw, maybe this is some interesting stuff:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/1905#post_11703375

Regards,

Alex

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #82 of 658
  Thank you.  The link you quoted is for channel swap, not for mix.  Actually, it is not a swap, either.  U12 and PS Audio assign differently.

You are right, sorry, my mistake,,

Maybe you can find an audiostore near your surroundings which sell DAC with I2S/RJ45 input to test if your I2S output works correctly?
If I read your findings it seems to me there's something wrong with your MX-U8.

And, to be honest, after reading rb2013's findings about MX-U8 bad solderings, and my own findings about the very poor soldering job in my MX-U8,
I wouldn't wonder if there's something wrong with your device.

I really think it's best to test it with another kind of dac which has I2S/RJ45 input, especially since other users, like motberg, don't have any issues with MX-U8.

Regards,

Alex

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #83 of 658

You are right, sorry, my mistake,,

Maybe you can find an audiostore near your surroundings which sell DAC with I2S/RJ45 input to test if your I2S output works correctly?
If I read your findings it seems to me there's something wrong with your MX-U8.

And, to be honest, after reading rb2013's findings about MX-U8 bad solderings, and my own findings about the very poor soldering job in my MX-U8,
I wouldn't wonder if there's something wrong with your device.

I really think it's best to test it with another kind of dac which has I2S/RJ45 input, especially since other users, like motberg, don't have any issues with MX-U8.

Regards,

Alex

I also suspected that something was wrong with MX-U8 firmware, but had to stop doubting it after having seen that the DSD channel mix also happened with U12.
As far as I know, none of the MX-U8 users in this forum has tried connecting it with a DAC with I2S/DSD input (RJ45) and playing DSD files.
And yes, it is the best and the only way to check with another DAC with I2S/DSD (RJ45) input, which is however almost impossible unless I buy a new one. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #84 of 658
  I also suspected that something was wrong with MX-U8 firmware, but had to stop doubting it after having seen that the DSD channel mix also happened with U12.
As far as I know, none of the MX-U8 users in this forum has tried connecting it with a DAC with I2S/DSD input (RJ45) and playing DSD files.
And yes, it is the best and the only way to check with another DAC with I2S/DSD (RJ45) input, which is however almost impossible unless I buy a new one. 

It seems I'm still awakening, even if it's almost 1:30 PM overhere,,,,,, again I didn't read punctual,,, you have the exact same problem with your U12, hmm, thats very strange.

You were talking about: The designer told you the dac doesn't accept MCLK input, that's something Kingwa is also talking about on the I2S modules page I posted above.
He says: 

Performance improve advice:
A,If you had some skill on DIY and had the ES9018 built in DAC.
You can try the below advice.
Both RJ45 and HDMI I2S transmit models, the most ES9018 had not request the MCLK signal, you can cut the MCLK wire in the source , connect to GND or chassis if it is connect to GND.
Please Note: 
1,After this modify, the I2S source only can working with ES9018 built in DACs  and the design don't request on the MCLK.
2,The DIY always had the risk , we can't warranty any people can finished the modify  succeed and safe on the unit.

B, For compatibility with other brands,the default data line up is : DATA, BCLK, WCK, MCLK, GND.
You can try the new line up but it is may not compatibility with other brands : 
DATA, WCK, BCLK, MCLK, GND .

You just want to exchange the WCK and BCLK wires in the input module output side and the output module input side.

Maybe you can try the above? Or, did you simply not connected MCLK?

Regards,

Alex

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #85 of 658

It seems I'm still awakening, even if it's almost 1:30 PM overhere,,,,,, again I didn't read punctual,,, you have the exact same problem with your U12, hmm, thats very strange.

You were talking about: The designer told you the dac doesn't accept MCLK input, that's something Kingwa is also talking about on the I2S modules page I posted above.
He says: 

Performance improve advice:
A,If you had some skill on DIY and had the ES9018 built in DAC.
You can try the below advice.
Both RJ45 and HDMI I2S transmit models, the most ES9018 had not request the MCLK signal, you can cut the MCLK wire in the source , connect to GND or chassis if it is connect to GND.
Please Note: 
1,After this modify, the I2S source only can working with ES9018 built in DACs  and the design don't request on the MCLK.
2,The DIY always had the risk , we can't warranty any people can finished the modify  succeed and safe on the unit.

B, For compatibility with other brands,the default data line up is : DATA, BCLK, WCK, MCLK, GND.
You can try the new line up but it is may not compatibility with other brands : 
DATA, WCK, BCLK, MCLK, GND .

You just want to exchange the WCK and BCLK wires in the input module output side and the output module input side.

Maybe you can try the above? Or, did you simply not connected MCLK?

Regards,

Alex

Sorry to keep you awake.  My DAC is ES9018 dual mono and does not require any MCLK input.  (There is no method to give MCLK to it.)
I know this statement by Kingwa and tried to connect MCLK to GND, which made no change (= still with DSD channel mix) in [U12 + Tanly conversion board], but no output even from AES/EBU in MX-U8.
About B., I suppose it is simply a matter of pin assignment.  With the current connection, PCM files are played correctly.

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #86 of 658
  Sorry to keep you awake.  My DAC is ES9018 dual mono and does not require any MCLK input.  (There is no method to give MCLK to it.)
I know this statement by Kingwa and tried to connect MCLK to GND, which made no change (= still with DSD channel mix) in [U12 + Tanly conversion board], but no output even from AES/EBU in MX-U8.
About B., I suppose it is simply a matter of pin assignment.  With the current connection, PCM files are played correctly.

It seems strange to me that Kingwa is talking about:
RJ45 model pins define:
Pin 1 : SDATA
Pin 3 : LRCK
Pin 5 : SCLK
Pin 7 : MCLK

HDMI model pins define:
Pin 1 : SDATA -                      Pin 2 : GND                          Pin 3 : SDATA +
Pin 4 : SCLK +                        Pin 5 : GND                          Pin 6 : SCLK -
Pin 7 : LRCK -                         Pin 8 : GND                          Pin 9 : LRCK +
Pin 10: MCLK +                      Pin 11: GND                          Pin 12: MCLK -
Pin 13: NC                               Pin 14: NC                            Pin 15: NC
Pin 16: NC                              Pin 17: GND                          Pin 18: NC

And you are talking about:

Except GND, there are only three: DATA, LRCK, BCLK (for DSD: RDATA, LDATA, DSDCLK

Regards,

Alex

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #87 of 658

It seems strange to me that Kingwa is talking about:
RJ45 model pins define:
Pin 1 : SDATA
Pin 3 : LRCK
Pin 5 : SCLK
Pin 7 : MCLK

HDMI model pins define:
Pin 1 : SDATA -                      Pin 2 : GND                          Pin 3 : SDATA +
Pin 4 : SCLK +                        Pin 5 : GND                          Pin 6 : SCLK -
Pin 7 : LRCK -                         Pin 8 : GND                          Pin 9 : LRCK +
Pin 10: MCLK +                      Pin 11: GND                          Pin 12: MCLK -
Pin 13: NC                               Pin 14: NC                            Pin 15: NC
Pin 16: NC                              Pin 17: GND                          Pin 18: NC

And you are talking about:

Except GND, there are only three: DATA, LRCK, BCLK (for DSD: RDATA, LDATA, DSDCLK

Regards,

Alex

Nothing strange to me.....
Kingwa's SDATA=DATA, SCLK= BCLK, and MCLK is not used.
For Amanero, 3, 4, 5 and GND are connected.

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #88 of 658
  Nothing strange to me.....
Kingwa's SDATA=DATA, SCLK= BCLK, and MCLK is not used.
For Amanero, 3, 4, 5 and GND are connected.

Maybe it is wise to contact Tanly about this problem, maybe they can help.

Regards,

Alex

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #89 of 658

Maybe it is wise to contact Tanly about this problem, maybe they can help.

I am familiar with this figure, as I own Tanly's conversion board.   In terms of my DSD channel mix issue, I find no reason to ask them without owning their USB-DDC.
There must exist a difference between the DSD output of MX-U8 and that of Combo384 from the same DSD file in the three signal lines [DSDCLK, LDATA, RDATA].

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #90 of 658
  I am familiar with this figure, as I own Tanly's conversion board.   In terms of my DSD channel mix issue, I find no reason to ask them without owning their USB-DDC.
There must exist a difference between the DSD output of MX-U8 and that of Combo384 from the same DSD file in the three signal lines [DSDCLK, LDATA, RDATA].

Combo384 uses LVCMOS output signals, what does Tanly HDMI>I2S deliver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back