Melbourne 2nd Meet 2010 - 26.06.2010 impressions
Jun 28, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #76 of 186
Haha there's me 
biggrin.gif
 First pic I think I was comparing dt880 to dt990. Second pic I am trying Yukari's ALO Rx amp. My ears are still not trained enough to pick up differences. All I heard was the bass was a lot more powerful. Last pic is of me listening to Kunal's K701 with Yukari's iMod and Diy amp. This combination actually sounded quite good. Great sound for a transportable combo.

Yeah haha, I do prefer circumaural cans. The Stax O2 were perfect. Kunal didn't find this to be true for him, though. For me, the O2 didn't touch my ears, very comfortable. Hard to criticise those O2's...

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #77 of 186

Quote:
Haha there's me 
biggrin.gif
 First pic I think I was comparing dt880 to dt990. Second pic I am trying Yukari;s ALO Rx amp. My ears are still not trained enough to pick up differences. All I heard was the bass was a lot more powerful. Last pic is of me listening to Kunal's K701 with Yukari's iMod and Diy amp. This combination actually sounded quite good. Great sound for a transportable combo.

Yeah haha, I do prefer circumaural cans. The Stax O2 were perfect. Kunal didn't find this to be true for him, though. For me, the O2 didn't touch my ears, very comfortable. Hard to criticise those O2's...

Haha... Me too... my ears are not good enough to pick the differences. (I think this results from my hearing loss in high frequency range ^ ^). However, I agree with you that Stax O2 and 404 are perfect for Jazz, Classical and soft music... (I have no comment on rock, heave metal music  ^ ^). They provide so sweet sound with high melodic response. (I like them so much ^ ^)...

Now I'm arranging a big photo and I will post it very soon.....^ ^

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #79 of 186
How do you do that cool bi-location trick, Kunal? 
smile.gif
This is how you compare the HD650 and 800 at the same time.

The LCD-2 would have been at the meet had they arrived in time. As it is, I'll still be waiting another three or four weeks at least, I think.

Alex, get ready to sell your gear. If I like the LCD-2, the O2s will be on the market :) [and vice-versa of course]

Quote:

As Kunal.... He seemed so serious with Sennheiser HD650 ^ ^ (I think he likes HD800)

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #80 of 186

[size=medium]
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
 Here's to hoping that you prefer the LCD-2 
biggrin.gif
 And to me preferring the O2. It would be great if I could have another listen before you sell the O2 (if you want to sell the O2), to be 100% sure I wanna spend that amount of money on headphones 
evil_smiley.gif
 I am clueless as to what I would sell. I would imagine I would sell my UM3X and go for RE0 and Sansa Clip 8GB (love that little thing 
smile.gif
). I don't mind selling my headphones, but letting go of my amps...now that's a struggle. The M3 and DT880...wow. I would love to compare that to your O2 critically sometime just to let down my shield and sell them both off 
beyersmile.png

How about amping the O2? How would I go about that if I bought them from you? I guess I just ask someone to build me the eXStata (all I would be able to afford)?? I know it holds them back, but I don't care to be honest; they sound amazing as they are 
evil_smiley.gif

BTW I am playing a vinyl at the moment, I couldn't imagine how they would sound with the O2. Not sure if it would be too warm of a combination, or just perfect. 

[/size]

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #82 of 186

Quote:
smile.gif

The LCD-2 would have been at the meet had they arrived in time. As it is, I'll still be waiting another three or four weeks at least, I think.

Alex, get ready to sell your gear. If I like the LCD-2, the O2s will be on the market :) [and vice-versa of course]

I'am amazed at my concentration, may be I was trying to justify a purchase.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #83 of 186

Quote:
That's a great idea :D

;D That would all depend on if I love the O2 as much as I do now if Duckman decides to sell them. But after all, what happens if I prefer the LCD-2 more? 
wink.gif
 Remember, I listen to jazz, classic rock, hard rock and metal, so dropping that much money on one setup it would have to do darn good with all of those genre's (well, at least some metal, all classic and hard rock).
BTW, I think Kunal is first in line if I sell the MAD Ear+ HD (he asked me not too long before you did). 

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #84 of 186
I will definitely be interested in trying those LCD-2.

The O2 I feel are not enough of an improvement over my current headphones to justify a 1k+ price tag. Similarly with most other 1k+ headphones I've heard so far, there are really only tiny improvements once you pass the $500 barrier.

I feel this applies even more to amps. Once you pass the 750ish barrier, the improvements become so tiny the purchase can hardly be justified.

Quote:
smile.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #85 of 186
Haha looks like there may be another meet this year after all...well maybe a mini meet. That is, if Dave actually wants us to try his headphones (which is completely understandable if he doesn't. I would be on the edge if I own such good headphones myself). I guess I should put my plans for a K1000 system to a hault and continue to save money for the O2 in case Dave ends up selling them. Some say the LCD-2 are even better than the O2. I guess Dave can be the judge of that for us 
biggrin.gif

About the improvement over $500...The real differences once you get past a certain price point (IME), is that colouration is just added to the sound. For example, buy a $800, well built DAC, like the DAC-19DSP and you will gain lots of detail. Once you go past that performance point, you most likely aren't getting many more details at all (not sure of this though, as I haven't tried one better, but others believe it to be true), you will just be adding colouration to the sound. You may or may not like this. Same with headphones. The K701 are very detailed and getting more detailed cans than that will vary a lot on your current equipment, too. The most likely changed in headphones will be bass quantity, soundstage, emphasised frequencies etc. Not detail revival etc. Dunno if this theory is true or not, though, but it is what I like to think 
tongue.gif
 You see, I love the O2 for their presentation. I do not notice a difference (or try to) in detail, how revealing they are etc. I notice how smooth they sound, how relaxing they can make music sound, without being boring at the same time.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #86 of 186

Quote:
Haha looks like there may be another meet this year after all...well maybe a mini meet. That is, if Dave actually wants us to try his headphones (which is completely understandable if he doesn't. I would be on the edge if I own such good headphones myself). I guess I should put my plans for a K1000 system to a hault and continue to save money for the O2 in case Dave ends up selling them. Some say the LCD-2 are even better than the O2. I guess Dave can be the judge of that for us 
biggrin.gif

About the improvement over $500...The real differences once you get past a certain price point (IME), is that colouration is just added to the sound. For example, buy a $800, well built DAC, like the DAC-19DSP and you will gain lots of detail. Once you go past that performance point, you most likely aren't getting many more details at all (not sure of this though, as I haven't tried one better, but others believe it to be true), you will just be adding colouration to the sound. You may or may not like this. Same with headphones. The K701 are very detailed and getting more detailed cans than that will vary a lot on your current equipment, too. The most likely changed in headphones will be bass quantity, soundstage, emphasised frequencies etc. Not detail revival etc. Dunno if this theory is true or not, though, but it is what I like to think 
tongue.gif
 You see, I love the O2 for their presentation. I do not notice a difference (or try to) in detail, how revealing they are etc. I notice how smooth they sound, how relaxing they can make music sound, without being boring at the same time.

I would be interested in getting an LCD2 myself.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #87 of 186
Hmm I am not too sure if I WANT one, but would love to try a pair. Amping could become an issue...I am led to believe you are going to want a pretty expensive amp for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back