Meizu m6sl vs Sony a8xx
Feb 5, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dkaz is on a mission. Anyway, now on to the dirty question of the night: Do you eq? If so, what are your settings?

Cheers.

I eq. My EQ depends on headphones I am using and my mood
smily_headphones1.gif

For Sony NWZ-S6xx
With Shure E4c = no EQ. I am using these for reference as they are probably my most accurate headphones.

With Ety ER4P = +1 at 0.4

With Super.Fi 5 Pro = -1 at 0.4, +2 at 6.3 and +2 at 16khz

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #47 of 67
I think for more upbeat music the Sony benefits from +1 clear bass w/ Ety ER6i. However, I tried using +1 clear bass on Classical/Jazz and found it muddies up the mids slightly. Just a personal thing...I want to hear everything in Classical. I haven't experimented with EQ nor do I plan to
biggrin.gif

Does anyone know precisely what clear bass does?

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #49 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2! Falang I could not agree with you more.

Quote:

(to DKaz) Well said. Great reviews.

Wait. My Spidey senses have uncovered a devious & nefarious plot to decieve & confuse us all. DKaz & falang are actually one & the same person posting under separate accounts.

I've even managed to discover a little known picture of him,.. err, them... the family photo of the Dkalang clan (their REAL name). That's HIM in the middle!!!

Here it is... You monster! You're foiled at last (and we can all breathe easier now) whew...

600px-ASZS.jpg

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #50 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait. My Spidey senses have uncovered a devious & nefarious plot to decieve & confuse us all. DKaz & falang are actually one & the same person posting under separate accounts.

I've even managed to discover a little known picture of him,.. err, them... the family photo of the Dkalang clan (their REAL name). That's HIM in the middle!!!

Here it is... You monster! You're foiled at last (and we can all breathe easier now) whew...

600px-ASZS.jpg

I know who these people are, the triad youth- very dangerous. See the girl in the back that looks like shes making a peace sign? Thats really a "tri" angle, not a peace sign
eek.gif
You should not have posted this ! I fear for you sir.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #52 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nice theory you have there. I think I will call you the deflector from now on. You are good at deflecting things.

Now back to the Sony.

DKaz is actually my mother.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #53 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know precisely what clear bass does?

It's supposed to make only the bass frequency louder without altering any of the other frequencies. That's why it's a separate adjustment to the equalizer. It works pretty well.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #54 of 67
Quote:

Dkaz is on a mission.

falang; I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that you just want to see some blood.
wink.gif

It's been a long day.
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, I first want to take the edge off this thing. I find it unfortunate that what I said was completely misconstrued. My original post (to Kaz) was reasonable, and non-threatening. I even finished off saying, You be the judge and I'll accept your findings. He finished with a conclusion that his opinion; "appparently means nothing if I do not agree with Rob." This is silly. Because I never argued one way or another which was better. I just wanted to be certain that the M6 was being used at its best in the comparison, and his review wasn't clear on that.

Anyone reading this thread can understand that my requests, while challenging... were of a friendly non-threatening nature.

You of all people falang, know this is true. It's obvious in my postings to you.

DKaz... You're not winning. There's nothing to win here. It's not about me, nor is it about you. It's not personal.

I never meant this to become personal, but I suppose that I probably brought it on myself when I wrote to you; "You're well-meaning, but not a very good reviewer (at least yet)."

I should've phrased it differently; in a non-judgemental way. It was the thing that brought you to this offensive anger. You got carried away on a crusade, taking almost everything I posted out of context. There's a difference between a cut finger and a cut throat. I cut your finger and you went for my throat. Good job DKaz. Good way to respond objectively.

I can only say that I didn't mean for this to be personal, (I don't take any of this personally) and Kaz if you're reading this... you should know that I'm sorry if I offended you, and I apologise for it.

I still stand by everything I wrote prior to this.

Lastly, I'll engage anyone on these boards in a reasonable, polite & objective exchange. I made my first mistake with one sentence of judgement. It won't happen again. I'm all too willing to learn from my mistakes and render an apology if necessary in order to make things right. I don't hold grudges. As I've said before, my focus here has been portable audio. The DAPs and IEMs to me are Toy-Fi. I think they're terrific and a lot of fun. If I wasn't clear and precise before, I'll say it again; In the world of true highend audio I'm a complete purist. Regarding Portable Audio; I think that the judicious use of tone controls and other sonic adjustments can at times, for some people, with some music,... enhance the experience. I respect everyones right to choose. Period.

And DKaz... I really hope that in your time, you're as fortunate as I've been in having the experience of a great variety of wonderful equipment and the media to play on them. Regards to you.

PS - if you're a gentleman, you'll acknowledge this and we'll put it behind us. If not, well it's your choice. Choose wisely.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #55 of 67
ill add to this by just saying both are great players, it differs according to your taste. they both hiss insanely for small players when they stand against the likes of the ipod nano.

onto another subject: this is headfi. we have no requirements to enter. we are the internet as raw as can be had. we have ridiculously low requirements to be labelled 'headphoneous supremous' of all things. as much as we should be civil or hope that our opinions are read well, it matters little.

if this were a civil place like a seminar or online club - with proper positions and rules of behaviour that even moderators obey, i think we would have to be more careful of our rantings but it is not. i have seen some of the worst stuff said by moderators here. it is a large old boys club essentially. we are a specifically geared club of geeks. we are hot-tempered, probably eat too many crisps and are upset if anything even a leaf crosses our path.

i know i have perfectly represented our population here.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #57 of 67
Quote:

This topic has been coompletely derailed. The original poster, a non-native English speaker, must be reading this thread with absolute befuddlement.

No it hasn't, it's been enhanced. Besides he doesn't speak very good English, so he couldn't appreciate all the FUN that we've had.

Sludig... Buy the Sony. You'll probably like it better, and it's easier to operate.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #58 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
onto another subject: this is headfi. we have no requirements to enter. we are the internet as raw as can be had. we have ridiculously low requirements to be labelled 'headphoneous supremous' of all things. as much as we should be civil or hope that our opinions are read well, it matters little.

if this were a civil place like a seminar or online club - with proper positions and rules of behaviour that even moderators obey, i think we would have to be more careful of our rantings but it is not. i have seen some of the worst stuff said by moderators here. it is a large old boys club essentially. we are a specifically geared club of geeks. we are hot-tempered, probably eat too many crisps and are upset if anything even a leaf crosses our path.

i know i have perfectly represented our population here.

Thank you shigzeo, I appreciate the clarification.
smily_headphones1.gif
... and I think I get it. I guess it's kinda like when you ask a two or three year old to do something, and you're adamant... even though you ask nicely... they can get all upset, losing their temper,... maybe spitting-up all over you and themselves cause they didn't understand you.

The only thing you can really do is clean-up the mess and hope that it doesn't happen again.

And I guess even good people can do dumb things. (No DKaz, I don't mean you) - I mean me.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #59 of 67
now that we are all square (other than being headphone geeks) i really do wish i had my meizu with me. as much as i love my sony for size, weight and great bass response, there was something special about the looks of that meizu.

turn heads with a good looking ipod clone. rob, i understand why you love it. i love it too. to the others, the sony too is damn good. just if you like me don't properly run windows, it is impossible other than recording to get music on the thing.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #60 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now that we are all square (other than being headphone geeks) i really do wish i had my meizu with me. as much as i love my sony for size, weight and great bass response, there was something special about the looks of that meizu.

turn heads with a good looking ipod clone. rob, i understand why you love it. i love it too. to the others, the sony too is damn good. just if you like me don't properly run windows, it is impossible other than recording to get music on the thing.

yeah, the miniplayer's a cool tool. Hey... I'm embarrassed to tell you but, I'm not really up on the ipod line-up. I know the M3's a 2G nano twin. Tell me again which one the miniplayer looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back