Meier Concerto?
Mar 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #77 of 94
Anyone tried a stagedac/concerto with HD800s? I can get the entire set at a good price used. Seriously considering the combo. But I tried it and didn't feel blown away. Most people compliment the concerto pairing with the beyer T1 and LCD2s, but not the HD800s.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #79 of 94
It wasn't the great leap I expected thats all, coming from a JH13. I suppose i would have to spend more time with it to be 100% sure its not for me. I found the treble a little shrill for my taste, and I heard the HD800s sounds superb with tubes, which tames the treble and brings out the bass. I was just wondering about the synergy of the stagedac/concerto with the HD800s, and whether I should just get the dac/amp and look at getting a pair of LCD2s instead.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #80 of 94
Looking at your setup, I would say there is much to be desired if you decide to go into desktop mode. I personally haven't tried the JH-13 but knowing the reputation, it would cost quite a bit to match up to the same sound quality. However, if you do decide to get a HD800 or a pair of LCD2's, I would highly recommend a desktop DAC/AMP setup. 

I have no idea about the stagedac but I just bought the concerto and it's been great so far. Definitely the improvement I was looking for compared to the Compass which powered my 600 ohm beyers respectably. That being said, if you didn't enjoy the HD800's with the concerto then I would not get it. The LCD2's will do nicely with the concerto but I guess it depends on how much you're willing to spend at one time. You could always try them out on whatever you have now and see if you're satisfied by the sound.

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #81 of 94
The stagedac is a solid performer for the price and pairs very well with the concerto, atleast that's been my experience so far. The stagedac is not going to make a big difference in terms of synergizing with headphone X or headphone Y; the amp is. I wouldn't think twice before getting the stagedac but I would pair it with a good tube amp if you are seriously considering getting the HD800. If you are buying the LCD-2 or T1 or any denon headphone the concerto is a great amp.

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #82 of 94

Quote:
Looking at your setup, I would say there is much to be desired if you decide to go into desktop mode. I personally haven't tried the JH-13 but knowing the reputation, it would cost quite a bit to match up to the same sound quality. However, if you do decide to get a HD800 or a pair of LCD2's, I would highly recommend a desktop DAC/AMP setup. 

I have no idea about the stagedac but I just bought the concerto and it's been great so far. Definitely the improvement I was looking for compared to the Compass which powered my 600 ohm beyers respectably. That being said, if you didn't enjoy the HD800's with the concerto then I would not get it. The LCD2's will do nicely with the concerto but I guess it depends on how much you're willing to spend at one time. You could always try them out on whatever you have now and see if you're satisfied by the sound.

Quote:
The stagedac is a solid performer for the price and pairs very well with the concerto, atleast that's been my experience so far. The stagedac is not going to make a big difference in terms of synergizing with headphone X or headphone Y; the amp is. I wouldn't think twice before getting the stagedac but I would pair it with a good tube amp if you are seriously considering getting the HD800. If you are buying the LCD-2 or T1 or any denon headphone the concerto is a great amp.

I am actually jumping on the stagedac/concerto/HD800 because I can get a good price for it, used, and its only 10 months old, So I am covered for another 14 months. I am looking for a different sound to my JH13 though, and the HD800s did sound rather similar from my brief time with that combo, albeit with a larger soundstage.

I was actually considering just the stagedac/concerto and getting a pair of LCD2s. Though an audition is not looking likely with that combo since the LCD2 is not retailing at any shop here. I could audition the T1s though at my usual headphone shop. I listen to Jazz, vocal and rock.

But since the stagedac could be used as a source in the distant future for my stax rig, I guess there is no harm springing for the stagedac/concerto.

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #83 of 94
Looking at getting the concerto/stagedac combo within the next 30 days, however just looked at Jan's site which said the concerto is sold out and the stagedac is no longer available in silver. Anyone know if this is a regular occurrence on his site (ie high demands / wait times) or is Jan not making anymore? Looking forward to hearing this great piece of equipment, freedback and info appreciated.

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #84 of 94
Your out of luck he is not manufacturing them any longer.
I am currently looking to upgrade my Concerto/Stagedac to the Headroom BUDA and Matrix-i DAC so I may put mine for sale depending on how long it takes me to find those.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #86 of 94
Apr 5, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #87 of 94
Thanks for posting that. I sent him a pm anyway 
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #88 of 94
i finally have the money for a concerto.
but they are all gone.
my attention now is swaying towards tubes or "ultra-linear" factory upgrade for my solo.

Jul 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #90 of 94
There are at least 3 for sale on this board.
Because of the new amp maybe?

Not mine....I picked up a WA22 and I preferred it with my Ed. 8LEs....I basically only used the Concerto with them. Don't be fooled though, the Concerto is the best SS headphone amp I've heard that isn't called B22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back