Meier Concerto?
Nov 26, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #16 of 94
Jan,

It will be good if having power outlet at the back of concerto, that can provide power for stageDac. Look like too many blocks and cables for this headphone combo setup.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Headfellows,

Various people have send me a mail for information on the new Concerto. Therefore a short synopsis.

Basically the CONCERTO is a SYMPHONY without the DAC section. However, some changes to the amplification section have been made.

- Instead of the LM6171 of the SYMPHONY the CONCERTO will use AD797 opamps.

- The CONCERTO uses a discrete volume control with a total of 64 positions (32 steps on the SYMPHONY). Typical step-size is around 0.7 dB. This gives a very smooth analog-like feeling.

- The CONCERTO has one pair of RCA-inputs and only one headphone output.

- The crossfeed filter has been slightly improved on.

The enclosure (two colors, black and silver) will be very similar to that of the STAGEDAC. Also prices will be comparible.

I hope that the amp will be available in February.

Currently the manufacturer is working on prototypes. Pictures and technical info will be put on my website as soon as these prototypes are available.

Cheers

Jan

It sounds like what Im looking for! Any promo/pre-order?

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #18 of 94
Leonardo
are you not happy with the solo, or just curious?
is the Lehmann likely to be better?

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #19 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leonardo
are you not happy with the solo, or just curious?
is the Lehmann likely to be better?

No, nothing wrong with the GS. I just want to treat myself for Christmas that's all. The Lehmann BCL or the new Meier may give me a different flavour, that's all. It is pure consumerism on my side to be completely honest. I do not think I need another amply (I also have the GS voyager for my Ipod and Sony MP3 walkmans so I am fully covered). I may even go for a Woo audio or will add the HD800 to my collection, I still do not know what I want but I am certain I do not need anything!
atsmile.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #20 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo_BVB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, nothing wrong with the GS. I just want to treat myself for Christmas that's all. The Lehmann BCL or the new Meier may give me a different flavour, that's all. It is pure consumerism on my side to be completely honest. I do not think I need another amply (I also have the GS voyager for my Ipod and Sony MP3 walkmans so I am fully covered). I may even go for a Woo audio or will add the HD800 to my collection, I still do not know what I want but I am certain I do not need anything!
atsmile.gif

same way i feel.
i still havn't comitted to a stagedac and now i am looking at amps again
very_evil_smiley.gif

the burson 160 mentioned on another thread looks tempting too.
surely bang for buck, the Meier unit, should beat both?!?!
the only thing i feel settled with are the denons.

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #21 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same way i feel.
i still havn't comitted to a stagedac and now i am looking at amps again
very_evil_smiley.gif

the burson 160 mentioned on another thread looks tempting too.
surely bang for buck, the Meier unit, should beat both?!?!
the only thing i feel settled with are the denons.

I knew you would love the Denons. I also think they are great. The Stagedac is a giant killer but, if you do not need the crossfeed section, your MF V-DAC should be more than enough. I love MF products and they always deliver top quality. If you are thinking about another amply, have you considered the MF X-Can V8P? Thing is, for me I rather go for SS amplifier because I have my Icon BA2, so the valves section is sorted in my case, otherwise I would buy a valves amply. The Icon Audio HP8 is also tempting me (see Icon Audio Leicester UK (Product HP8)). Icon Audio has an excellent customer service when there is a problem.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #22 of 94
Quote:

Dear Headfellows,

Various people have send me a mail for information on the new Concerto. Therefore a short synopsis.

Basically the CONCERTO is a SYMPHONY without the DAC section. However, some changes to the amplification section have been made.

- Instead of the LM6171 of the SYMPHONY the CONCERTO will use AD797 opamps.

- The CONCERTO uses a discrete volume control with a total of 64 positions (32 steps on the SYMPHONY). Typical step-size is around 0.7 dB. This gives a very smooth analog-like feeling.

- The CONCERTO has one pair of RCA-inputs and only one headphone output.

- The crossfeed filter has been slightly improved on.

The enclosure (two colors, black and silver) will be very similar to that of the STAGEDAC. Also prices will be comparible.

I hope that the amp will be available in February.

Currently the manufacturer is working on prototypes. Pictures and technical info will be put on my website as soon as these prototypes are available.

Cheers

Jan

Hi Jan,

2 analog inputs are mandatory on the concerto :

one for the stagedac, one for SACD, FM tuner , ...

Please
Thanks

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #25 of 94
Dear headfellows,

> It will be good if having power outlet at the back of concerto, that can provide power for stageDac. Look like too many blocks and cables for this headphone combo setup.

> I prefer the pure head-amp only, without volume control, let StageDac control the volume and crossfeed.

The CONCERTO is not intended to be just a supplement to the STAGEDAC. It is an headphone amplifier that should also appeal to people that use other sources.

As for the volume control, be aware that the STAGEDAC uses a "simple" potentiometer only. The CONCERTO has a much more sophisticated and better sounding volume control. It does use a one-track (mono) potentiometer whose position is determined by a ADC. This output value of this ADC is used to steer a number of relais that control the gain-factor of the input amplification stage. Very unusual, very sophisticated, but very good sounding, without any balance problems.

> Any promo/pre-order?

Sorry, these have not been planned.

> Would it be possible to have price indication

Very similar to the price of a single STAGEDAC.

> 2 analog inputs are mandatory on the concerto

Any amp in this price region is a compromise. Choices have to be made what is to be put in and what is not.

In a sense the CONCERTO is a very puristic amplifier. Only one pair of inputs and no preamp outputs. This keeps signal paths short and limits costs.

Cheers

Jan

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #28 of 94
would love to compare to my solo.

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #29 of 94
Quote:

Dear headfellows,

> 2 analog inputs are mandatory on the concerto

Any amp in this price region is a compromise. Choices have to be made what is to be put in and what is not.

In a sense the CONCERTO is a very puristic amplifier. Only one pair of inputs and no preamp outputs. This keeps signal paths short and limits costs.

Cheers

Jan

Ok Jan, very good, but Concerto and Stagedac will be often connected together and there is no analog input on the Stagedac, so one input only on the Concerto it's too restrictive,

Puristic ok but not very convenient !

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #30 of 94
Dear Jan Meier, can you post technical details of Concerto amplifier? Or pre specification like power, maximum output, buffer amplifiers etc.

I have Swing since December and value for money is great, I will be looking something "stronger" now form main headphone "system" (I use Swing with PC and iPod/LOD).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back