Meier Audio StageDAC
Sep 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #466 of 634

Quote:
sokolov91 said:

The Pro 900 are pretty good headphones...

Noted. I probably confused them with another model.
I agree with everything else you wrote, except your view of the HD800.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #467 of 634
@Kurt,
I am pretty sure that using an HD800 or T1  would show off the difference better. I also have to admit that the comparison was made only few days after receiving the Stagedac, so it was not really burned in.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #468 of 634
It'll probably take a bit more time for you to become accustomed to the differences as well as experimenting with all the stagedac's settings. 

Quote:
@Kurt,
I am pretty sure that using an HD800 or T1  would show off the difference better. I also have to admit that the comparison was made only few days after receiving the Stagedac, so it was not really burned in.

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #469 of 634

Quote:

Noted. I probably confused them with another model.
I agree with everything else you wrote, except your view of the HD800.

Not sure what you disagree with, because I said they were great headphones and on par with many of yours, SAVE the HD 800, which are better -objectively at any rate.

Sep 9, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #470 of 634

Good points, guys. Also, part of getting accustomed to differences is a learning to appreciate them. Who doesn't know the newby (still sane people) sentence "Yes, it sounds better, but not X amount of money better"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... the HD 800, which are better -objectively at any rate.

This is not my experience. But if you say so.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #471 of 634

Quote:

Good points, guys. Also, part of getting accustomed to differences is a learning to appreciate them. Who doesn't know the newby (still sane people) sentence "Yes, it sounds better, but not X amount of money better"?

This is not my experience. But if you say so.

haha... but thats why I said objectively, and not subjectively. I could like an SR-60i better than the HD 800. Doesn't make it a better headphone :p

anyways, I hope you are enjoying the combos! must sound great!

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #472 of 634

Quote:
haha... but thats why I said objectively, and not subjectively.

Now, that you mention it.

Quote:
sokolov91 said:

I could like an SR-60i better than the HD 800. Doesn't make it a better headphone :p

Do additional and indentifiable micro details make one phone better than another?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 

anyways, I hope you are enjoying the combos!

Thank you. I wish you the same!

Quote:
sokolov91 said:

must sound great!

They do. 
gs1000.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #473 of 634
After feeling like I was going around in circles I just placed an order for a TECH+LINK 75 Ohm digital coax cable to experiment with from Jan. I figure I'd end up spending more if I went to a retail store and the cables seem to be pretty good value for money. 

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #474 of 634
Got the stagedac today, however i'm confused between the rca preamp output and the fixed output. Can someone explain in the simplest of terms what they do? Am planning to connect the DAC to the concerto amp.

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #475 of 634

Quote:
Got the stagedac today, however i'm confused between the rca preamp output and the fixed output. Can someone explain in the simplest of terms what they do? Am planning to connect the DAC to the concerto amp.

put the fixed output into the concerto. The variable output is so it can also serve as a pre amp.

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #477 of 634
Can anyone compare between this and Maverick D1, MiniMax? price, features aside, just on the pure sound character.

I know not many ppl have 3 DACs at home, but if you have a chance to listen somewhere, that will be helpful.

Thanks.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #478 of 634

In searching for new standalone dedicated DAC, I am torn between Audio-GD NFB-2 (USD 450) and Meier Audio StageDAC (USD 670). While NFB-2 is cheaper by USD 220 than StageDAC, StageDAC offers extensive sampling/filter/cross-feed/tonal controls for sound optimization/customization. Otherwise both DAC models use dual WM8741 DAC converters and produced by reputable companies.

The DAC will be used in TV viewing and music streaming. Coaxial digital input is connected to HDTV set-top box whereas optical digital input is connected to Apple Airport Express. Audio source from TV programs is unpredictable thus some form of sound optimization/customization is required. Jitter presents in digital audio output (optical) of Airport Express must be tolerated/compensated at digital optical input of DAC. Since in StageDAC, Wolfson WM8804 S/PDIF receiver chip is used for higher jitter reduction and there are various controls to optimize/customize the sound, I suppose the extra USD 220 dollars is worthwhile and I am leaning toward StageDAC.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Oct 5, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #479 of 634
How does the Stagedac compare with HRT Music Streamer II+?

Thanks, Pedro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back