Meier Audio StageDAC
Jan 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #301 of 634
I just deactivated it too. Can't say for sure that there is any remarkable difference, but what the heck. I don't use variable outputs anyway. I needed pliers to remove and reposition jumpers, because these were quite close to the volume knob and I couldn't do it with my fingers.

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #302 of 634
I did it with a tweezer. Looks like there is now even more power comming from fixed outputs but i'm not sure if that also means improvement in SQ.

Edit: I know it is a huge cliché but for me it sounds like bass is better controled, soundstage more refined and maybe highs event more detailed. I suggest disabling variable outputs on STAGEDAC to everyone who has not tried it yet and of course post your opinions. Right now i consider it as a major improvement. :]

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #305 of 634
I had a change to try this DAC a few days. It sounded average to me like other OS DAC's in this price area. It doesn't bring the music alive. Ok, maybe personal taste, but i last heard the Linn Acurate and Klimax ethernet streamers which have the same DAC configuration inside. (dual mono WM8741) The Acurate did not impress me, but the Klimax blowed me away. That was the best sound i heard ever heard from a DAC. The Klimax is very, very expensive and top of the line of Linn streamers. I examined the differences between the Acurate and the Klimax. Klimax is using LL1527 Lundahl output transormers in the output stage and proberly wil have better clock's and suberb clean power supply. I took the change to buy a simple WM8741 board and connected 2 lundahls output trafo's to it. Feeded the dac straight from batterie. The result is very good, very happy with it. The StageDAC is also using dual mono WM8741 and is cheap in comparison with Linn. It could maybe have more potential by adding output transformers and feeding the critical PS sections with batteries or adding a very good netfilter or power regenerator.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #306 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybride /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a change to try this DAC a few days. It sounded average to me like other OS DAC's in this price area. It doesn't bring the music alive. Ok, maybe personal taste, but i last heard the Linn Acurate and Klimax ethernet streamers which have the same DAC configuration inside. (dual mono WM8741) The Acurate did not impress me, but the Klimax blowed me away. That was the best sound i heard ever heard from a DAC. The Klimax is very, very expensive and top of the line of Linn streamers. I examined the differences between the Acurate and the Klimax. Klimax is using LL1527 Lundahl output transormers in the output stage and proberly wil have better clock's and suberb clean power supply. I took the change to buy a simple WM8741 board and connected 2 lundahls output trafo's to it. Feeded the dac straight from batterie. The result is very good, very happy with it. The StageDAC is also using dual mono WM8741 and is cheap in comparison with Linn. It could maybe have more potential by adding output transformers and feeding the critical PS sections with batteries or adding a very good netfilter or power regenerator.

Can you tell us how much the Linn Klimax costs so we can make a fair comparison to the Meier?

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #307 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell us how much the Linn Klimax costs so we can make a fair comparison to the Meier?

Its not fair :wink: about 15.000,- Euro. The Linn architects had a 100% wildcard to make the best possible sounding streamer/DAC.. No cost limit. I repeat that it's an interesting fact that they also used the WM8741 in double mono config like the Stagedac does.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #308 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'm mistaken, but as far as I know - it is possible to deactivate only variable outputs.

Lol sorry i mean that output.. just the one that goes to active speakers no?.. if i deactivate i can just plug there an stereo amp?

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #310 of 634
How does the StageDAC compare to something like the Audio-GD DAC19MK3, the Bel Canto DAC2, or the Corda Opera DAC? Oh, and the Buffalo DACs too...
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #311 of 634
i would be interested in a comparison with the monarchy 24.
nearly bought one but, went for stagedac due to cost.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #312 of 634
I had a Stagedac for a week.
In my speaker-based system (see sign) that I know very well I've never heart such a deep, tight bass nor the incredible layered depth. Soundstage itself was enormous, even without adding crossfeed (which my speakers don't need anyway and I found it made the sound slightly less clean, the headphone settings are probably much more useful). Lots of detail too.
And Jan Meier was a pleasure to have contact with.

However, on the minus side, the mids were colored, voices missed midbass warmth.
I find that while the Stagedac was great for electronic music, it didn't tranfer the emotions in vocal music enough to my taste and it sounded rather 'digital', whatever setting I tried. (they didn't make much difference anyway, probably more on a headphone-based system).
I've to add that I'm unusually allergic to that; the only CDP I ever loved ánd could afford was the Rega Apollo, a very non-digital sounding player.

Anyway, while I was very impressed by the Stagedac, it was clearly not for me, never made me relax and just enjoy the music without giving any thought to he hardware.
Now I have the Havana; a non-oversampling DAC without opamps with a tube ampstage instead. It sounds like drinking a glass of superb vintage port in warm bath in honeycolored light, mid-oriented, giving very much tonal color, no 'digitis' at all, I love it very much, despite the sound is clearly less clean, bass is less deep and the soundstage is smaller then the Stagedac music comes to life.

Both Dacs seem to represent extemes, it is important to know that ones taste is in music and soundsignature to make the right choice.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #314 of 634
What another kind of music do you listen/liked??
Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a Stagedac for a week.
In my speaker-based system (see sign) that I know very well I've never heart such a deep, tight bass nor the incredible layered depth. Soundstage itself was enormous, even without adding crossfeed (which my speakers don't need anyway and I found it made the sound slightly less clean, the headphone settings are probably much more useful). Lots of detail too.
And Jan Meier was a pleasure to have contact with.

However, on the minus side, the mids were colored, voices missed midbass warmth.
I find that while the Stagedac was great for electronic music, it didn't tranfer the emotions in vocal music enough to my taste and it sounded rather 'digital', whatever setting I tried. (they didn't make much difference anyway, probably more on a headphone-based system).
I've to add that I'm unusually allergic to that; the only CDP I ever loved ánd could afford was the Rega Apollo, a very non-digital sounding player.

Anyway, while I was very impressed by the Stagedac, it was clearly not for me, never made me relax and just enjoy the music without giving any thought to he hardware.
Now I have the Havana; a non-oversampling DAC without opamps with a tube ampstage instead. It sounds like drinking a glass of superb vintage port in warm bath in honeycolored light, mid-oriented, giving very much tonal color, no 'digitis' at all, I love it very much, despite the sound is clearly less clean, bass is less deep and the soundstage is smaller then the Stagedac music comes to life.

Both Dacs seem to represent extemes, it is important to know that ones taste is in music and soundsignature to make the right choice.

I am debating to get this DAC or the V-dac because of his price (a big bang for the buck) and size (but not as important now...)

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #315 of 634
i have v-dac and stagedac.
both great for the money. stagedac is my preference though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back