Meier Audio StageDAC
Dec 4, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #286 of 634
This DAC is all about the options, although a bit daunting at first, I'll admit. I initially concentrated on the filter & oversampling switches for the first couple of weeks, settling for the most part on the 3:1 positions, respectively, for now. But you can tweak it to the signature that you prefer, and it's always instantly changeable!

Crossfeed is another effect that I have just begun to use. I never liked Headroom's crossfeed implementation, finding it to lop off the upper frequencies in too extreme a manner. Meier's latest X-feed is simply superb. It is extremely subtle, with no appreciable loss in high-end detail, while providing the intended psychoacoustic benefits. I think I will continue to leave it on all the time now. I'm not as enamoured about the super-wide speaker effect, but it's there for those that wish to experiment.

The Delay switch still perplexes me, as it seems to have little effect in my system, at least that I can detect. I'll have to come back to this at some point.

The Tone Balance is my latest favorite. After kicking the switch up to position 2, it provides just the right amount of warmth that my Beyers needed to transform my listening experience.

Having two analog outputs (one fixed, one variable) presents even more interesting options. I was planning to insert a tube buffer in between the second output and my headphone amp, giving me another listening possibility that would only be a turn of the input switch on the Prehead away. But after trying out the TB circuit, I may not need to do that after all. I'm sure others will find other intersting uses.

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #287 of 634
I would like to buy this DAC. My current setup is Xonar Essence ST as DAC, using the RCA outs to a Meier Opera Analog headphone amp and my Denon D5000 headphones.
How much of a difference will this DAC do in my setup?

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #288 of 634
recieved my stagedac today!
wasn't expecting that. 4DAYS from Germany to my door, and over a weekend
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

thats what i call good service.
nice one Jan. from a delighted customer
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #290 of 634
Congrats oldson! I know you agonized over your choices for a while. I'm betting there will be a V-Dac in the FS forums soon.
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #291 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by terente0081 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oldson, how do you like the StageDAC? I too placed an order for it yesterday, I should receive it in about a week or so.

yeah, enjoying it so far.
but i think some recordings i have dont suit crossfeed.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #292 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats oldson! I know you agonized over your choices for a while. I'm betting there will be a V-Dac in the FS forums soon.
wink.gif

cheers
it did take a while to decide!
not sure about selling the v-dac. may use it in another room instead.
need to let stagedac mature now and get to grips with crossfeed etc!

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #293 of 634
maybe owners could post their fav dac/xfeed settings??

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #294 of 634
Jan 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #297 of 634
My StageDAC arrived a week ago. First thing I did, even before pluging in the unit was to disable the volume knob and variable output. After a quick 50hrs burn-in, I am very happy with the purchase I made. It sounds better than I expected; very resolving and detailed sound. I am using a SPDIF connection out of my Xonar ST to feed it digital signal.
Settings I am using are (from up position 3, to low position 1): Pulse response 3, Oversampling 1, Crossfeed delay 3, intensity 2, mode 3 and tonal response 3.
It's a little biased towards low range now due to tonal response, but I like the darker image. It seems it's a good synergy between this StageDAC, the Opera Analog amp and the D5000 headphones.
Even the K701 feel more punchy and alive on this DAC.

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #298 of 634
Did you guys noticed some diference in sound after disabling variable output? Right now im looking rather for amp upgrade than tuning up the STAGEDAC which is quiet good source as it is.

My settings are:
Pulse response 1(all the way down)
Over sampling 3(2 fold)

Delay on max 3
Intensity lowest 1
And tonal turned off.

After some tweaking i end up like this. Now i wonder if disabling volume controled outputs could push it even better.

Jan 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #300 of 634
So, all i have to do is remove four screws on sides and three on the back to get inside?

Edit: And answer is yes.
bigsmile_face.gif
I'm just looking inside this wonderful equipment.

Here comes some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back