Meier Audio StageDAC
May 31, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #16 of 634
Thank You for your extensive post Mr. Meier. I truly appreciate when manufactures take some time to anser/post some information abute their products.

I will put in som extra hours and see if the economy will allow a purchase of this undoubtly fine DAC.

Thanks again

Best regards 

Edit: I agree with Joseph that a 24/96 usb input should be available. Maybe for an extra charge, if price is a concern?

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #18 of 634
Dear headfellows,

> That's slightly higher than I was hoping for

Well, currently I’m working on a slim version of the STAGEDAC. I’m not sure yet whether it will be produced or not but this one could be interesting for you.

> I feel somewhat unimpressed, to say the least, by the USB input. I assume you choose the easy path (sorry) with some 270x chip, but every day there is more people looking to use the computer for access 'HD' tracks, so a 24/96 USB input is mandatory.

In principle it is well possible to implement 24bit 92kHz USB using for instance the TAS1020 USB streaming controller chip. However, this would require extensive microprocessor programming and thereby expertise and resources that I simply don’t have. Such solutions are only feasable for big companies who build their devices in larger quantities. To add such a solution to the STAGEDAC, which is only build in small numbers, would increase the sales-price considerably. People would do much better upgrading their computer with a S/PDIF output.

> I feel somewhat unimpressed, to say the least, by the USB input. I assume you choose the easy path (sorry) with some 270x chip, but every day there is more people looking to use the computer for access 'HD' tracks, so a 24/96 USB input is mandatory.

> the output stage of the DAC? Will it be opamp/buffer?

At the direct signal paths LM6171 are used (biased into class-A).

Inside the crossfeed paths AD8610 are used.

Cheers

Jan

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #19 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear headfellows,

> That's slightly higher than I was hoping for

Well, currently I’m working on a slim version of the STAGEDAC. I’m not sure yet whether it will be produced or not but this one could be interesting for you.

That's interesting indeed. I absolutely love the HA2 MK2 I've got and given its quality/the Meier history, I know that either way (Slim or Full) it will sound great.

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #20 of 634
I'm impressed by the DAC in the Symphony and consider it absolute high-end quality (enormous detail and clarity). If the StageDAC is even better (direct quote Jan Meier), I don't know what to expect, especially since Jan is usually very modest in his product descriptions.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #21 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In principle it is well possible to implement 24bit 92kHz USB using for instance the TAS1020 USB streaming controller chip. However, this would require extensive microprocessor programming and thereby expertise and resources that I simply don’t have. Such solutions are only feasable for big companies who build their devices in larger quantities. To add such a solution to the STAGEDAC, which is only build in small numbers, would increase the sales-price considerably. People would do much better upgrading their computer with a S/PDIF output.

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply.

For 24/96 'easy' USB, you must look for the TENOR TE7022L chip, but outside Corea (Audiotrack) I am not aware of nobody using it (well, you may be first
smily_headphones1.gif
). It is a one-chip solution (see their Prodigy Cube product). Very interesting
wink.gif

Cheers

Josep

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #22 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by josep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jan, it will be great to have access to your 'crossfeed' (specially this one, newer and so tweaky) when using any amplifier (I must say the most missed feature when I sold my Opera was this one).
Congratulations.
But... I feel somewhat unimpressed, to say the least, by the USB input. I assume you choose the easy path (sorry) with some 270x chip, but every day there is more people looking to use the computer for access 'HD' tracks, so a 24/96 USB input is mandatory. I know I can have USB->SPDIF 24/96 for not much (say, Prodigy Cube) but... well.

I want 24/96 as well.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #23 of 634
with 24/96 it would be a perfect match for computer sound.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 634
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with 24/96 it would be a perfect match for computer sound.

As far as I understand, it does 24/96, just not via USB.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #26 of 634
She does (Transit 24/96) but needs drivers, and it gave me trouble with Vista. But it is not exactly a new product (is on the market for some years) so it is surprising the scarce options we have for USB 24/96...

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #28 of 634
It is very the expectation!!!

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #29 of 634
Dr. Meier: Just want you to know that many of us are definitely looking forward to this coming stand-alone DAC. Many things you mention such as jitter rejection, wide-band cross feeding, and tunable soundstage are so interesting, as the new Lavry DA11, but yours is also so SQ-oriented with best performance-cost ratio in mind. I really like your approach and concept (as the Arietta I have from you.)
dt880smile.png

Please keep us updated from time to time!!

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #30 of 634
Wow this looks really great! I will have to add yet another thing to save up for
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back