Meier Audio Daccord
May 3, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #106 of 715
Quote:
It's the flavor of the month/year effect. Jan's stuff is under-rated on headfi ATM. It'll be back :wink:

It's almost a leap of faith to try out his gear, but once you have you'll definitely go back for more :)

The stuff Jan makes is the best value for money in my opinion.

May 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #107 of 715
Hey all...

Jan sent me an email today to let me know about his Spring sale, and this is looking like a great time to finally pick up a Daccord. I was just curious if anyone is running an AppleTV or AppleAirportExpress into their Daccord via the optical connection. The ATV doesn't play nice with certain DACs for some reason, so wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on the combo.

I can't wait to finally pick up one of these...I'm also considering the package deal with the Meier Classic amp, but I love my Jazz so much I'm not sure if I really need to upgrade. The Jazz/T1 pairing is phenomenal as is!

May 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #108 of 715
I just noticed the sale myself.

I have just ordered the Daccord and Classic amp combo, should be a very nice upgrade from my Asus essence one!

May 19, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #110 of 715
Quote:
I just noticed the sale myself.

I have just ordered the Daccord and Classic amp combo, should be a very nice upgrade from my Asus essence one!

Congrats, really! That said, I am quite sad Daccord is not as advanced in features as StageDAC is =/ Daccord features just a basic crossfeed switch while StageDAC has dedicated Delay, Intensity and Mode switches (headphone + speakers crossfeed!). Also, StageDAC features 9 different conversion filters which really works... That's why I cannot "upgrade" to Daccord, it won't be an upgrade for me!

As for the Classic, it's basically the same amp as Concerto, with side features which I don't need since I already have them in StageDAC (or just don't find useful)... Yeah, a bit different capacitors and 15V vs 12V output but other than that, the specs are the same. As I've just completed a killer deal on Concerto (220CAD!!!), I cannot be happier :)

I am definitely looking forward to see new products of Meier audio and hope to have a chance to purchase brand new from Jan's website because I have no intensions to look elsewhere in near future. Crossfeed, active balanced ground driving, digital volume control, tonal balance switch + conversion filters ( = can function as a hardware equalizer and imaging/soundstage tunning), near-to-neutral and noise free amplification = that's exactly what is unique about Meier's products, that they combine great sound with unique features!

May 19, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #111 of 715
Fwiw classic and concerto sound quite different to me. That's not to say one is better, but I could understand each appealing to different preferences. I find the concerto more analytical, the classic more 'natural'. I haven't persuaded myself to choose one over the other yet!

Indeed, in terms of basic performance there's little difference, despite the power and gain boost of the classic. The concerto easily drives the lcd2 for example.

Congrats on the great deal rusta.

May 19, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #112 of 715
Quote:
Fwiw classic and concerto sound quite different to me. That's not to say one is better, but I could understand each appealing to different preferences. I find the concerto more analytical, the classic more 'natural'. I haven't persuaded myself to choose one over the other yet!

Indeed, in terms of basic performance there's little difference, despite the power and gain boost of the classic. The concerto easily drives the lcd2 for example.

Congrats on the great deal rusta.

Ah, of course, I should specify... From technical point of view, Concerto and Classic are not very different, they appear to be almost the same actually (as I said, it really seems Classic is just a re-done version of Concerto). That's what is important to me. :) I am sure Classic is a bit more optimised but the difference must be very small, as Jan himself said in other words.

I must stress that I am not your typical head-fier who is willing to spend thousands just to get a bit different frequency response from an amplifier... I don't really care as long as the amp is near-to-neutral (and yes, I've tried several different-sounding amps).

I would say that for people without StageDAC or Daccord, Classic is a better option because of its significantly improved crossfeed... But for me, Concerto is exactly what I need.

May 19, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #113 of 715
Yes, Jan seemed genuinely surprised at the differences I heard. Hard to tell though, with such a self-effacing gentleman!!

Still, it made me wonder if I should send my concerto back for checking :eek:

Maybe I should mention I got the classic after conducting dac comparisons, where one has to distinguish subtle differences indeed. So maybe the amps sounded much more different to me in that context than they really are?!

A decent metric is needed to quantify these differences. It's 'big' that one can hear a difference at all, any difference. Yet when one considers these reliable and repeatable differences may be just a few seconds per standard track - say 1% in time terms - these are perhaps better called 'tiny' :wink:

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #114 of 715
Well I received my daccord and classic combo two days ago, and I have to say that so far I am very impressed with the service first from Jan and then the quality of his products. And the sound quality, absolutely outstanding.

I will post a proper review after some further listening, but my initial impressions are very encouraging indeed!

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #115 of 715
Quote:
Well I received my daccord and classic combo two days ago, and I have to say that so far I am very impressed with the service first from Jan and then the quality of his products. And the sound quality, absolutely outstanding.

I will post a proper review after some further listening, but my initial impressions are very encouraging indeed!

Nice!!! I'm about to pull the trigger on that same combo...I can't resist the chance to take advantage of Jan's spring sale. Which headphones are you using with it? Any chance you'll post some pics? :)

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #116 of 715
I'm still loving my Daccord and Classic would recommend to anyone without any hesitation.

I still can't get over how well built they are. The volume knob is delightful haha

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #117 of 715
Quote:
I'm still loving my Daccord and Classic would recommend to anyone without any hesitation.

I still can't get over how well built they are. The volume knob is delightful haha

And if the knob ever gets loose (like mine did), all you need is a 1.5 millimeter allen key to tighten it again :)

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #119 of 715
While I don't have new stuff and I don't anticipate much in the way of upgrades as I'm quite happy as it is, but I'll jump on the Meier praise bandwagon.

I recently acquired a Crossfeed to go along with my Corda HA-2 fed from a HRT MS-HD off my MacBook Pro. I've been very happy since the HRT MS-HD and Crossfeed arrived no unwanted noise at all in the system. I often forget I'm using headphones.

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #120 of 715
Quote:
While I don't have new stuff and I don't anticipate much in the way of upgrades as I'm quite happy as it is, but I'll jump on the Meier praise bandwagon.

I recently acquired a Crossfeed to go along with my Corda HA-2 fed from a HRT MS-HD off my MacBook Pro. I've been very happy since the HRT MS-HD and Crossfeed arrived no unwanted noise at all in the system. I often forget I'm using headphones.

What a neat little piece of gear! I had never heard of that model, but I found a glowing review on it: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue10/cordaha2.htm

The crossfeed feature is what has pretty much resulted in my opinion that Jan is a genius...on my Jazz, the crossfeed is a very subtle enhancement but one that really sounds very natural. Part of my motivation for upgrading is to get the more robust crossfeed circuitry in his top of the line offerings. I've never been a fan of any sort of DSPs or other audio sound effects/enhancements, but this feature is just brilliant. I enjoy running my music with the crossfeed engaged for a good while, and then switching it off after I've adjusted to it. It's much easier to discern the effect this way as opposed to evaluating it going from off to on. 

I'm not looking to break the bank with the absolute top of the line amp/dac...I just want a well built, great sounding amp that provides excellent value at my comfort level in terms of price point. I could continue on very happily with my Corda Jazz, but it's hard to resist this great sale that Jan has on his gear right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back