Meier Audio Daccord
Feb 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #91 of 715
Quote:
I picked up a Corda Jazz and a pair of T1s from Jan almost a year ago, and I'm just about ready for an upgrade. I enjoy the research phase and looking at the latest and greatest products on the market in my price range, but in this case since I'm so happy with my Jazz, I'm going to keep it simple and just send Jan a few more bucks for the Daccord/Classic combo. Jan has been a straight shooter with me in my email conversations with him and it will be my pleasure to do business with him again. Can't wait to hear the "stack"!! 

Enjoy! Please post your findings for us to drool over and become green with envy to review
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #92 of 715
Quote:

Enjoy! Please post your findings for us to drool over and become green with envy to review
biggrin.gif

You got it :)

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #93 of 715
I received my DACCORD yesterday. It's a nice device and I can't find anything to complain. I can't hear much difference compared to my already sold Matrix mini-i DAC but that doesn't mean that there isn't any. DACCORD definitely isn't worse :)

I bought the DACCORD mainly because of the cross feed filter and that works just as advertised. Jan was really fast and polite with his emails. Highly recommended.  

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #94 of 715
^ yes it's hard to pick up differences in dacs without direct a/b in most cases, IME. Glad you're enjoying it :)

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #95 of 715
Quote:
Has anyone tried the daccord on a Linux machine?

There is an issue with all devices based on the C-Media CM6631 USB-to-S/PDIF receiver with Linux. This includes the USB input on the Daccord and other popular devices in the same range, like the Schiit Bifrost. The device doesn't respond to sample rate changes the way it should, so when switching between content with different sample rates, it tries to use the sample rate of the previous track. This distorts the audio output quite badly. Stopping and restarting the playback resumes normal operation.

Further details can be found at the alsa-user mailing list, http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.user/36935 There is work being done to work around this issue, http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/106041

If you are willing to compile a patched snd_usb_audio module, the patch linked above should fix the sample rate change problem. That workaround or something similar will hopefully be included in an upcoming Linux release.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #96 of 715
Hello Meier

I see the Daccord is using Wolfson Dacs. In my experience I've always preferred Wolfson Dacs due to their warm signature and the impact it gives to the bass and how it adds body to the vocals' making a nice warm analogue sound. The Arcam rDac and Rega DAC are examples of a Wolfson Dac with a great weighty, warm signature.

My question is: is the Daccord a warm DAC? I would like to warm my T1's up and add some bass and weight to the sound. I was set on the Rega DAC but I am also now interested in your wolfson equipped Dac too.

To note both the rDac and Daccord use the WOLFSON WM8741 DAC. I'm really hoping for a warm, tube like signature for my Beyer T1..

Thanks,

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #97 of 715
Dear Bloodflowerz,

The DACCORD uses the WM8741 in dual-mono configuration. Personally I do not experience its sound as very warm/tube-like but as very detailed and clean. Actually, in its standard application it can sound a little bit harsh sometimes.

However, in the DACCORD I used a small trick to drive the output stages of the WM8741 into class-A and this gives the chip a nicer, rounder sound as usual. If you like the WM8741 then I'm sure you will not be disappointed by the sound of the DACCORD.

For a true tube-like sound you have to look elsewhere though.

Cheers

Jan

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #98 of 715
Quote:
There is an issue with all devices based on the C-Media CM6631 USB-to-S/PDIF receiver with Linux. This includes the USB input on the Daccord and other popular devices in the same range, like the Schiit Bifrost. The device doesn't respond to sample rate changes the way it should, so when switching between content with different sample rates, it tries to use the sample rate of the previous track. This distorts the audio output quite badly. Stopping and restarting the playback resumes normal operation.

The CM6631 sample rate change problem is fixed in Linux kernel v3.9-rc6. I've been using that fix with my Daccord for the last month without any issues.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #99 of 715
A little off-topic: The more I am discovering my StageDAC along with HD800, the more I realise I would miss all the options on the DAC if purchasing Daccord instead...

Different Pulse response and Oversampling gives different approach to imaging and soundstage (+ can possibly function as good treble equalizer as well) and I don't find the setting people here suggest as ultimately the best to be really the best. It's one of the most natural but quite noticably harms clarity and imaging (and soundstage width as well).

Also, Delay switch on StageDAC is pretty crucial and I don't understand why it's not featured on Daccord...

I hope that Jan will include those in the future... For now, I am seriously happy to have StageDA, it's by far the best DAC I have heard so far - especially because its crossfeed is miles ahead anything software-based.

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #100 of 715
^ interesting comments and I agree. I periodically swap in other dacs but the SD is the best.

I think it received much less attention than it merited. Perhaps if Jan had priced it 40% higher...

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #101 of 715
Quote:
^ interesting comments and I agree. I periodically swap in other dacs but the SD is the best.

I think it received much less attention than it merited. Perhaps if Jan had priced it 40% higher...

There are many possible ways how to set the StageDAC and several are interesting... That said, my favourite with HD800 is:

- pulse response and oversampling both on the lowest position (typical DAC approach with nearly-flat FR graph)
 - delay switch on the lowest position
 - intensity switch on the highest position
 - crossfeed mode on the highest position (headphones)
 - tonal balance switch on the lowest position

Gives me the widest possible soundstage and clearest picture (typical DAC approach) without loosing ultimate imaging ability (delay switch) + Jan's crossfeed itself really helps to get rid of unnatural frequencies and typical stereo-like sound of headphones (intensity switch). There is of course much more to talk about here, the previous is only a rough and let's say incomplete summary of why I use what I use.

May 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #104 of 715
Quote:

For a true tube-like sound you have to look elsewhere though.

I'm in the UK of course where "tubes" are underground trains and the amplifier is a "valve amplifier" and its sound is a "valve-like sound" :)

I'm very glad that a "valve-like sound" is not being emulated.

I really don't like "valve-like sound" :)

All I want to do is hear what is on the CD or digital file, I don't want it warmed up or to have its treble smoothed out or any of the other "valve-like" distortions applied.

May 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #105 of 715
It's the flavor of the month/year effect. Jan's stuff is under-rated on headfi ATM. It'll be back :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back