Meier Audio - Corda : What happened? No one interested?
Jul 14, 2005 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 128

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
I have been observing a gradual but steady decline in the number of discussions about the Corda amplifiers. I used to own the Corda prehead and more recently the Porta Corda and I have to say that I am surprised that nobody recommends these amps anymore?

Jan Meier is the sort of guy who will sit back and take a swig of his favorite beverage...totally cool...but I dont think his amps are getting the attention they deserve.

The old prehead was a stonker...the new one must be positively phenomenal! I would like to remind the HeadFi populace about the longest serving forum sponsor and a gentleman - Jan Meier. Yes - the same Meier who helped bring 18 more HE-90s to life.

I think people should take a look at his website and his new Prehead MK-II and the MK-IISE. remember...he invented the crossfeed and the versatility of his crossfeed equipped Prehead really impressed me.

Seems like the headfi amp section has "tunnel vision" limited to Singlepower, Emmeline and Gilmore offerings...

confused.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 128
I think it's probably because they have not been heard by as many people as the SinglePower/Emmiline/Gilmore amps have. I would love to listen to them and be able to recommend them but not enough to gamble the money on the amplifier unheard. I think a lot of folks are in the same situation.

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 128
The reason why I'm personally not interested in because there aren't many reviews/comparisons of it with other amps I'm interesed in (This creates a false impression that they aren't powerful), because they look very odd and peculiar (Very odd shape and aesthetics, IMO of course), and because the website doesn't look the most secure. I know the latter is very lame, but I remember trying to check out his amps in the past but being taken to this weird German T-Mobile place a million times, and then when I actually found the real website, it looks kind of iffy with its weird formatting and bright scrolling text.

One other thing is that the jump between Porta Corda MKIII and the HA-1 is pretty big, price-wise. I read that the HA-1 blew the Gilmore Lite out of the water, but it is quite a price jump at nearly $200 (And I thought the SR-71 was expensive...).

But that's just me, so just my 2 cents...please don't hurt me Corda users
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 128
I had the HA-2 MkII and loved the thing. Sweet sound. Unfortunately, I had to downgrade to help fund my road bike. When opportunity strikes again, I will be more than happy to send the money in Jan's direction. He builds a very high quality product, and the service is great (very prompt in answering my emails, shipping, etc).

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
He builds a very high quality product, and the service is great (very prompt in answering my emails, shipping, etc).

Now this sounds like one of Jan's customers. I can't remember ever seeing a post complaining about the product or the service.

Jul 14, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Another key reason is the weak dollar. If you look at the past prices of Meier Audio amps, you'll see that there has been an increase over time for American customers (probably a significant part of Meier's customer base).

Aww shucks! Didnt consider that. but even then his current prices are quite good. I would LOVE to try the MK-II SE Prehead...had a very good experience with the old Prehead and the W100 Audio Technica.

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 128
i love my porta-corda mk2.

meier audio is the man. if his home amps sound better which they probably do (i am lame and lack dollars to find out with) anyone who buys them is in for a treat.

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I would LOVE to try the MK-II SE Prehead...had a very god experience with the old Prehead and the W100 Audio Technica.

Guru, just a friendly reminder: no discussions of religion are allowed on head-fi!!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #14 of 128
This is shaping up to be a good thread. I think some of the reasons offered so far go a long way to explaining why there isn't more discussion of the Meier Audio amps:

* Lack of experience with them relative to competing products.
* Location (meaning overseas for US buyers).
* Weak US dollar.

But Azure, I can assure you (as a repeat customer of Meier Audio) that you will get the absolute best, honest, quick and efficient customer service from Sir Jan. His service to head-fi and headphone audio in general is legendary, as you will find if you do a search in the archives here and discover the "Jan Meier appreciation" threads and such. What I'm getting at is that despite any misgivings you may have about the company's website, you'll find that if you send Jan an email, he'll be most helpful to you. And the best part is that this is true whether you eventually become a customer or not.

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
LOL my keyboard BLOWS!
rolleyes.gif

Operator error or what is known as temporary terminal ineptitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back