Meier Audio - Corda : What happened? No one interested?
Jul 15, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #61 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus

All of this reminds me of the RC drinkers who are not happy that the battle ground is always between Coke and Pepsi. I like RC, and Diet Rite especially, and go out of my way to look for it. Yet, at 9 out of 10 gas stations, it's just Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi because that's what sells. I ask, "Do you have Diet Rite?" and get these puzzled looks. But if they only knew how good it was, they would all be drinking it like me!!!

Sorry for the OT, but I love RC as well! Diet Rite is good stuff indeed, and it comes in so many different flavors. I have always loved RC because my initials are RC (Ryan Clarin), so as a kid I thought it was made for me, but always wondered where my royalties were
icon10.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #62 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Sorry for the OT, but I love RC as well! Diet Rite is good stuff indeed, and it comes in so many different flavors. I have always loved RC because my initials are RC (Ryan Clarin), so as a kid I thought it was made for me, but always wondered where my royalties were
icon10.gif

Diet Right is good stuff. You have to give Coke Zero a try.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #63 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
There seem to be a couple of dubious assumptions going on here.

1. Just because there are few people on this forum that are talking about Meier Audio products, it does not mean that they are not selling well.

2. Just because there are few people on this forum talking about Meier Audi products, it does not mean that there are few new Corda users.

I hear ya on that one. Meier's stuff rarely gets put up for sale, which shows a high retention rate amongst customers, and maybe guru no one is talking about it because they are too busy enjoying and listening to it, seriously. There are some assumptions being made about Meier's products, that I'm not sure how grounded they are in reality in the 1st place, therefore the implications made are not really of any substance.

If I ever get the chance to hear one of his products, I wil give it a fair shake, plain and simple, and that's all you can really ask of others as well

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #64 of 128
Go ahead and take an ownership poll. Or, go browse through so of the recent frequent posters profiles, check and see how many people are using corda products as their main rigs (or any of their rigs) amp.

It's not an assumption, it's common sense they aren't selling like ray samuels amps, which are the hottest ticket right now.

Resale on the other hand, is not indictative of how many people own them or how many people are buying them, in fact quite the contrary is true, maybe few enough regulars, who are involved in amp trading syndrome don't own these, thus there isn't many being swapped around. Yet, notice how many sr71's are always moving around, its probablly one of the most popular amps on this forum in ownership, and purchasing.

I'll say what i observe, but the few that own these amps, and keep it to themselves, are not part of the buying demographic on here that buy and buy, and buy (you know who they are). These are the guys that are helping amp makers make alot of money, as well as the newbies buying up what they always talk about. I'm talking about a trend in buying, not only what people own and have in their closests. This isn't a used car show room man.

The future of the brand depends on people buying their new amps, all the time. They need much more attention then they are getting, especially if this is one of the only places where headphone audio is such a big deal.

For instance, let's talk about you:

You joined the forum early this year, now are knee deep in headfi, tried alot of the hottest products, even review them, yet you haven't heard a top tier corda amp. That says something about how succesful they are.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #65 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
This is, frankly, a bizzare thread. Was it motivated by any discussions with Dr. Meier? Did he remark someonewhere that there is little interest in his products? If so, I'm unaware of it

Jan Meier has done more for this community than anybody else and I would hate to see his products become fossils before their time.

I like Jan and his professional approach to his products. He doesnt go weak kneed and teary eyed when he discusses his amps - but the precision and confidence in his words is quite engaging.

Unfortunately I havent spoken to Jan for more than 2 years (almost) - I just think people need to talk about his products as well. He is just an example...so many excellent manufacturers suffering because of the current "situation". Woo Audio, Rudistor...even HeadRoom to a certain extent.

We are audiophiles...we dont buy what is "in vogue" - but that is how it is right now. Nobody thinks for themselves...allows themselves to be led along...If someone actually did their research they would take all manunfuacturers into consideration. Today they come in with two in mind.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #66 of 128
I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said in this thread, but I just wanted to throw in my vote of confidence in Jan and Meier Audio as well. I've owned the HA-1 and HA-2 (both mk I). In fact, the HA-1 was the first home headphone amp I ever purchased (a JMT portable being my first any head amp). I got it via one of those Head-fi eBay auctions right around the time I started getting active on Head-fi.

Both of his amps have been top notch in both build and sound quality. I disagree with one of the early posters in this thread opining that the Corda amps look funny. I actually love the design of the Corda amps, and to this day they remain some of my favorite head amp designs. Elegant in their understated and utilitarian approach. The build quality and construction including the materials and fit'n'finish were as good as I've seen on any other manufacturer to this day. Most of his amps also offer additional features, like crossfeed, that really enhance their value.

To top it off, Jan is just one hell of a guy. Again, this has already been emphasized in this thread. His customer service has always been absolutely superb. Beyond the call of duty. I would put Ray, Mikhail and Jan as all equals when it comes to service and just being overall great guys to interact with.

It's too bad Jan's products haven't been getting the publicity here that they used to get. Hopefully this thread helps to rectify that. I actually received a PM from a new Head-fi'er a few months ago that he wasn't interested in Headroom or Corda amps because there wasn't as much talk here about them (this was before Headroom's new lineup launch) which I found really sad. Headroom seems to have regained some of the momentum they deserve and I hope Jan does too.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #67 of 128
I agree with tyrion in regards to amp manufactures attending meets. For better or for worse, I think personal interaction has some influence on amp purchases for poeple here, especially when you consider there really aren't all that many headphone amp manufactures.

IMO, when amp manufactures are able to attend these meets and showcase their products, they gain advantage over thoes who are not able to attend meet, at least in public exposure, which in turn leads to discussion threads here.

When I joined the forum, most of the talks around amps concerned RSA and SinglePower products. IIRC, HeadRoom amps weren't all that discussed here at all. I belive this was because while Ray and Mikhail were attending various meets, Tyll (or anyone from HeadRoom) weren't after their initial tour a while back, and amp buying has become a personal interaction for some of us here as I have stated above.

While it is true that HeadRoom has updated their lineup and changed their logo(which I really like), I believe the recent increase in discussions regarding their products have more to do with the recent HeadRoom tour around the various meets.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #68 of 128
I actually mentioned this at the last meet - how i never see or hear of her products and am wondering what they sound like - and no one really had an answer for me. I guess organizing a meier meet would help 8), but we can't go expecting everyone to do that.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #69 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg

For instance, let's talk about you:

You joined the forum early this year, now are knee deep in headfi, tried alot of the hottest products, even review them, yet you haven't heard a top tier corda amp. That says something about how succesful they are.

I hear you on that as well. Unfortunately, there isn't much I or anyone else can do but wait and be patient for the opportunity. All i can say is that when i do hear one, i'll give it a fair shake and put it through the rounds, and that's it, plain and simple. My experience with amps is no where near as comprehensive or inclusive of everything out there, and the only thing I can maintain and promise is a professionalism and set modus operandi to approaching and absorbing what a specific component can do.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #70 of 128
I agree 100%.

Here is a theory about why the Corda's are not discussed as much.

Corda's are elegant and basic.

With tubes amps, there's talk about tube rolling -- try this tube, try this combination. Tweak this, tweak that. They also have a nostalgia-type appeal. Solid state amps are at a disadvantage in this regard.

Corda's are not fancy, they don't have a bunch of different modules you can use. They're basic, excellent, solid-state amps. That's what I love about them. Maybe they don't have the flash of the latest amp from Single Power, or RSA.

Meier didn't bring out a new lines of amps with any sort of flashiness, he just quietly updated his three (only three!, yeah, I don't count the Eartube
smily_headphones1.gif
) solid-state amps and made them sound even better.

I think Meier's amps deserve more attention, too. I was just concerned that this thread was painting a bleak picture when there's not really any evidence to suggest that Meier isn't doing fine, as far as he's concerned.

I remember Tyll saying that he hold X Airheads a week, mainly to people who had no idea about this forum. Perhaps Meier gets a lot of his sales in this fashion, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Jan Meier has done more for this community than anybody else and I would hate to see his products become fossils before their time.

I like Jan and his professional approach to his products. He doesnt go weak kneed and teary eyed when he discusses his amps - but the precision and confidence in his words is quite engaging.

Unfortunately I havent spoken to Jan for more than 2 years (almost) - I just think people need to talk about his products as well. He is just an example...so many excellent manufacturers suffering because of the current "situation". Woo Audio, Rudistor...even HeadRoom to a certain extent.

We are audiophiles...we dont buy what is "in vogue" - but that is how it is right now. Nobody thinks for themselves...allows themselves to be led along...If someone actually did their research they would take all manunfuacturers into consideration. Today they come in with two in mind.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #71 of 128
I have to agree about the importance of meets.

No matter how much we all love it, this is a highly specialized hobby with a limited market. It's hard to audition things because you can't just go down the street to the nearest Best Buy and hear a Corda, or an Emmeline, or whatever. I heard more different cans at my first meet than I probably have heard outside meets over the last two years. And cans are easier to find in local shops than are headphone amps.

If you're a manufacturer and you want to get a lot of exposure on Head-Fi, bringing your product to meets is critical. And it's a lot harder for Meier since most of the meets are in the U.S. (Had an interesting conversation with Tyll about how hard it would be for him to bring his traveling show overseas, not even counting logistics of moving it all--just customs would be a nightmare.) So, indeed, I think the Corda line is at a huge disadvantage.

What I'm unclear about is why it's the responsibility of anybody but Meier to to address this, or what we're supposed to do about it, particularly if we've never had the chance to hear a Corda.
confused.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #72 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari

Noboby thinks for themselves... nobody does their research... I dont believe your giving the membership here nearly enough credit gs. From my standpoint, I frequently receive pm's from members who are very obviously thinking for themselves. The pm I receive is just one part of their often extensive research.

Most, if not all of them, have multiple manufacturers (4 or more) products in mind. They want to know about tubes vs solid state and discrete transistor vs op amp designs. They have specific system requirements. They have budgets and they want to know about the added costs of owning a tube amp. They want to know about reliability and resale. They have priorities in regard to the sound presentation... I am a bass head.... does the amp have great bass? They want to know how long they will have to wait before they get their amp etc. etc. etc...

Furthermore, these people arent just long standing members.... these people are often individuals with between 5-100 total posts. Some of these pm's result in lengthy discussions, with me giving as many as ten replies to answer all their questions and subsequent questions.... particularly for those wanting the maximum value for their limited dollars.

Many of the members here would gladly research further and audition the products in question or attend meets if they could. But they live in areas where they have no access to meets and products they have interest in are just not available to them; especially those outside the USA. So they do the best they can and post inquiries and pm other members for input. This is not a mindless, lazy bunch. Finally, the head-fiers I have been exposed to generally give extensive thought to whats available and what will best meet their needs without consideration of the products current "in demand status".

So in summary, I believe one; product consideration in the headamp category is far from a two horse race. Two, members do their research and do it well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #73 of 128
I agree...without representation at headfi meets there is no chance of getting the word out. Maybe Jan will see this thread and act upon it if he wants to. TTVJ should also send out a meier audition package to every meet in a pelican case.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #74 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
There is something else to consider, that I don't believe has been mentioned. Different from other hobbies and possibly other forums, those of us who attend some of the bigger headphone meets get to meet and talk with manufacturers like Mikhail, Ray and Tyll. When these guys make solid products and you get to develop relationships with them and are able to discuss there philosophies in developing prodcuts, I believe it becomes more personal when discussing their products.

Is this good, yes and no. It's good having the opportunities to meet the manufacturers, as we do on heardfi. On the other hand, it could be bad in the sense that the relationship and discussions becomes one of defending the person and not nescessarily the product.

That is a long way of getting to my point which is, had I had the same opportunity to sit and talk with Dr. Meier, would I have bought a product of his as a result. I don't know, because I haven't had that opportunity.

Just some food for thought.

This is a valid point, and I do not want to think too much about that, again, I'm extremely happy with what I have, but this could lead to also the believe that who knows behind all those personal relationships you mention, what else they could offer to motivate all those raves from some of those members (of course this is also part of marketing and nothing wrong on that) but honestly lately there have been too much rave, and too much talking, and discussions, to just consider them normal, or just due to satisfaction with their products, or service, at least I do not recall this happening here before!!!!!
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #75 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Many of the members here would gladly research further and audition the products in question or attend meets if they could. But they live in areas where they have no access to meets and products they have interest in are just not available to them; especially those outside the USA.

Your are very right about this. Members outside the USA are not so many and spread over many countries. The only exception I know of is Zürich, with regular meetings. There has been some attempts of European meetings but it is somewhat like a combined NY-Detroit-California meeting.

I doubt that it is realistic to expect that postings on Head-Fi ever will be even remotely representative of the best products available. There is usually a dominance of new and upcoming products. Skillful marketers seem to know that the perhaps best strategy is to drop news and raise expectations before a product is released. There has always been products that are especially recognized for some time, sometimes by merit and sometimes hyped, by enthusiast and maybe sometimes by market manipulation. All audio forums seem to have a lot of FOTMs.

So it is a basic necessity to retain some critical judgment by making questions like these about the reviewed product:

1. Who is the reviewer (experience, audio preferences, reference system etc.)
2. What is the praised product said to be better than (only praised as the best the review has heard, one of the best OR better than brand X and Y in a direct comparison and in this case in which aspects).

I always look for direct comparisons and this is surprisingly often missing or very diffuse also in magazine reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back