Meier-Audio CORDA Aria
Oct 28, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #77 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
From Texas Instrument's data sheet:

No true expert here, but oversampling is a feature that (about) all DACs include. Upsampling is a different technique, achieved through dedicated chips external to the DAC itself.

Oct 29, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #79 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird2
what would be the best for this amp, a hd600 or a DT880 ?

Probably the one you like best of these headphones. Why?

There are two reasons for matching headphone and amplifier. The first is technical. Some amplifiers have not enough power for all headphones and some tube amplifiers don't work well with low impedance headphones. The Aria, as well as other Corda amplifiers, has enough power do drive almost all low and high impedance headpones, and these too.

The other reason is matching of sonic signature. The Corda amplifiers have a neutral character and will not significantly change or tweak the sonic character of the headphone. You will get a somewhat darker sound with HD600 and a brigher sound with DT880. Some say that HD600 is way to dark and soft while other that it is very right (especially for classical music and acustic instruments). So it is up to what you like best.

Oct 29, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #80 of 235
I couldn't help noticing the inscription on the back of the Aria: "Designed by Meier Audio, Germany" as opposed to the "hand-made in Germany" that appears on some of the other Corda amps.
I then remembered a post by Dr. Meier on the Meier Audio goes High-End thread in which he wrote "Sales are now such, that it's almost impossible to make all our amps by hand. I'm therefore considering to get in future all amps manufactured externally" (still in Europe, I hope
tongue.gif
).
Is the Aria the first Corda product to which the production changes apply (yes, I know the Eartube is manufactured by Audiovalve...), hence the new inscription?

Bruno

Oct 30, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #81 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunobiseu
I couldn't help noticing the inscription on the back of the Aria: "Designed by Meier Audio, Germany" as opposed to the "hand-made in Germany" that appears on some of the other Corda amps.

I'm so used to seeing the Designed in <domestic home country>, Made in China. Wonder if this Meier is being made in a low wage country. It would help explain why this amp packs so much bang for the buck...I mean, DAC and a first class headamp for $400!

Oct 30, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #82 of 235
I just bought the ha2-mkII se with the meieraudio 5year sale. I'm now reading comparisons of the ha2-mkII with the new aria-amp. There are almost no differences (from what I read), but there must be some sonic/technical differences between the two? Why else is the ha-2 mkII (SE) $500 more?
thanks,
Luuk

Oct 30, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #83 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk
I just bought the ha2-mkII se with the meieraudio 5year sale. I'm now reading comparisons of the ha2-mkII with the new aria-amp. There are almost no differences (from what I read), but there must be some sonic/technical differences between the two? Why else is the ha-2 mkII (SE) $500 more?

The sonic differences are there and not small to my ears. It's just that I prefer the sound of the Aria prototype to my HA-2 upgraded to MkII level. So note that both my amps don't exactly correspond to the serial models, and the HA-2 (MkII) lacks the SE features. Nevertheless I think my preference would remain the same between serial Aria and serial HA-2 MkII.

If you like a liquid-smooth, refined sound, you're well served with your HA-2 MkII. The Aria OTOH is the airier and more honest amp -- with the downside of less forgivingness and euphony.

peacesign.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #84 of 235
When I ordered my amp from Meier, he said the amps would be "arriving" in late November, so my assumption is that he is indeed having these made somewhere like China.

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #85 of 235
Made in asia ? That's why this new amp looks so similar to shanling products
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #86 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by lenainrouge
Made in Asia? That's why this new amp looks so similar to Shanling products
biggrin.gif

Bingo!
biggrin.gif

peacesign.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #89 of 235
Hey, that's where I remember seeing the enclosure design....Shanling. Must be coming out of Asia then.

Maybe this will also mean other Meier designs will be able to drop in price a bit if they are going to be outsourced eventually.

CD-T2001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back