Originally Posted by nabwong
Morpheus used it to stop the sentinels from destroying his ship
tongue.gif

earmax pro, a pretty decent amp

Nov 1, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #108 of 235
Dear Headfellows,

Just to answer a few questions:

"So it's a Meier design made by Shanling?"

Yes, the amp indeed is build by Shanling. However, all the designs, including those of the PCBs and the enclosure were done by Meier-Audio. Granted, the enclosure looks very much like the Shanling designs but that was done to keep costs low. To make a more different enclosure would increase costs considerably. And to be honest, I do like these enclosures. Pictures really do not do the amp justice.

"so it's made in China? or simply assembled in China?"

All the parts to be used (brand, model) have been clearly specified by Meier-Audio. Some parts could not be organized/provided by Shangling. These were either send by Meier-Audio to China or, if not critical for sound, high quality replacements were provided by Shangling.
For instance the NEUTRIK headphone jacks and the BUF634T were send from Germany. However, the polypropylen capacitors made by Vishay that I normally use have been replaced by WIMA versions. The same for the low-impedance electrolytics that have been replaced by Nichicons. All high quality stuff. As said, there are hardly any sonic differences between the very first prototype and the final test-amp that I received from Shanling. If any the latter sounds even better, as it has a better powersupply.

"but is prototype hand-soldered by Jan himself and real amps are made by Shanling?"

The prototype in principle is a modified HA-1 MkII. It has the same powersupply but I did make this amp to test a new circuit topology that allows to eliminate a non-linear parameter that is an inherent property of any normal opamp circuit. The final ARIA design comes with this new circuitry and a better powersupply (and with a crossfeed filter and an USB-DAC added).

"Someone stated that the components are also made in China."

That is true for many products made in China. However, with the ARIA it has been clearly specified what parts have to be used. Many have been made by non-China manufacturers like Burr-Brown, National-Semiconductors, WIMA, NEUTRIK, ALPS, Bulgin, Texas-Instruments, Lumberg.

Be aware that Shanling is a true High-End, high-quality manufacturer that also produces for many other very renowned (non-Chinese) High-End companies.

"What sort of DAC sits in the Aria and how does it compare to say, a Creative Audigy 2 zs?"

The PCM2704, made by Texas-Instruments is a rather simple DAC that also can be found in the PORTA CORDA MkIII. However, thanks to a much better powersupply and a very carefull implementation the sound is surprisingly good and although I have no personal experience with a true High-End sound card I'm pretty sure that the ARIA will be able to compete pretty well.

"why there's no "medium" crossfeed setting, only "low"."

The new circuit topology mentioned above did have some consequences for the implementation of the crossfeed filter and made the addition of an extra filter setting rather complicated and expensive. Therefore the choice was made to implement one level only.

Cheers

Jan

Nov 1, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #109 of 235
Thanks for clearing up my question Jan.
smily_headphones1.gif
Although I didn't get a definite answer, I believe pretty much ANYTHING should be better than Creative. I'm not a big fan (and I own one).

Nov 2, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #110 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
Thanks for clearing up my question Jan.
smily_headphones1.gif
Although I didn't get a definite answer, I believe pretty much ANYTHING should be better than Creative. I'm not a big fan (and I own one).

except those ac'97 crap chips!

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #111 of 235
Thanks, Jan, for the very punctual clarifications.

Nov 2, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #112 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
except those ac'97 crap chips!

Oh yeah. My bad.
tongue.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #113 of 235
Okay already! This thread just is making me salivate! I WANT ONE!

However, I was wondering if any Canadians have purchased anything from Jan Meier? I'm SUPER interested in the Corda Aria amp but am not sure what is the best way to buy from Jan!

My preference is to use a credit card but he doesn't seem to accept those. Money Order would be okay but that is going to be very slow. Besides, anything else but credit card will cost me extra money. Wire Transfer from Canada is a real killer in terms of fees!

So, guys, especially Canadians, what do you do? How do you do it?

Thanks,
SH

Nov 2, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #114 of 235
Isn't Paypal an option? That's how I have paid Jan for everything.

Nov 2, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #115 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Isn't Paypal an option? That's how I have paid Jan for everything.

It seems that he is only accepting NON CC Paypal... or am I wrong? Does he accept CC Paypal as well? Does he charge a fee for accepting CC Paypal?

Nov 2, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #116 of 235
I thought that I would never buy such an archaic thing again (after the advent of atms over 20 years ago)- but they work handily for this and are not too fee heavy.

I think it was an option listed on Jan's site.

Nov 2, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #117 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
It seems that he is only accepting NON CC Paypal... or am I wrong? Does he accept CC Paypal as well? Does he charge a fee for accepting CC Paypal?

He doesn't like to take CC Paypal payments, but he does.

Nov 3, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #118 of 235
I've bought from Meier via both Traveler's Cheques and Paypal (latter must be direct transfer from your checking account to paypal - cannot source from your CC). Paypal is easiest if you're shipping to North America.

Nov 3, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #119 of 235
he has separate paypal account to accept CC and non-CC payment. if you pay from CC, he will be charged for paypal fee. From your side, you pay the same amount for two choices. So why you have to pay from CC? Jan is a very trustworthy guy. He will never let you down so you can always be confident when doing business with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back