Meeting "The One"
Aug 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #32 of 52
I hope I am not being a troll, but I have a good story.

Fortunately for most you guys, you guys got lucky and there is a happy ending for you.

My friend at work was telling last year how he met his wife. He told me how on their first date, they couldn't stop talking and they talked for 6 hours. They kept talking on a phone call the next day for like 5 hours.

He told me how good looking she was. Pretty, in shape and how he was such a lucky guy.

This year I stopped by his desk and he said, guess what, I am getting divorced. I hate the bi@?#.

I wonder how someone could change his opinion on a person 100% in less than a year.

Just thought it was kind of funny, but I think marriages can be good and it is also realistic that 2 people can just get tired of each other. And that is the way it goes.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #33 of 52
Things can go haywire when people start living with each other - true fact. 

The ones that truly love each other will weather through the hardships together.

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #34 of 52

Quote:

Fortunately for most you guys, you guys got lucky and there is a happy ending for you.

My friend at work was telling last year how he met his wife. He told me how on their first date, they couldn't stop talking and they talked for 6 hours. They kept talking on a phone call the next day for like 5 hours.

He told me how good looking she was. Pretty, in shape and how he was such a lucky guy.

This year I stopped by his desk and he said, guess what, I am getting divorced. I hate the bi@?#.

I wonder how someone could change his opinion on a person 100% in less than a year.

Just thought it was kind of funny, but I think marriages can be good and it is also realistic that 2 people can just get tired of each other. And that is the way it goes.

The only diff is that you're talking about a marriage - Lunatique was talking about meeting "the one".  Big difference IMO.  I have a lot of friends who married, and it didn't last.  But none of them married "the one".  They may not find "the one".  It's kind of difficult to grasp unless you're in the situation.

I've been lucky - I know I've met my life partner - we've been together 20 years now, and we've never had any doubt, never been tempted by greener grass, and in 20 years never had a major argument.  We've had disagreement  - all marriages have them - but never a full blown argument.

I think that's a different situation yo what you quoted.  Infatuation only gets you short term I guess .....

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #35 of 52
story #1:
A friend of mine once told me he decided he was going to marry his girl when he dutch oven'd her and she didn't kick him out of the bed.

story #2: (even though said people are no longer together)
Another friend of mine used to present his lady with roadkill. Y'see, she's a somewhat eccentric biologist who just so happens to collect animal skulls. So one day when he was driving down the highway and saw a dead flattened fox on the side of the road, he got out and carefully picked it up and wrapped it newspaper, then took it home and cleaned it up* and presented it to her in a gift wrapped box. That's a special kind of love right there folks.

*which I think just meant shooing away the flies and spraying some febreeze

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #36 of 52

Quote:
story #1:
A friend of mine once told me he decided he was going to marry his girl when he dutch oven'd her and she didn't kick him out of the bed.

story #2: (even though said people are no longer together)
Another friend of mine used to present his lady with roadkill. Y'see, she's a somewhat eccentric biologist who just so happens to collect animal skulls. So one day when he was driving down the highway and saw a dead flattened fox on the side of the road, he got out and carefully picked it up and wrapped it newspaper, then took it home and cleaned it up* and presented it to her in a gift wrapped box. That's a special kind of love right there folks.

*which I think just meant shooing away the flies and spraying some febreeze

goddammit, story number 2 is so ****ed up.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #39 of 52

You have no idea. I spent a couple years divorcing people. People sure do change over the years.

Funny thing was that the real knock-down fights were over personal property. I litigated a cheap .22 rifle and a stainless rim for a pickup bed.

Strangest of all was a fight over a side of beef. My client's job as a ranch manager entitled him to a side of beef each year. He agreed to give the side of beef to his wife for the year of the divorce, but wanted to keep it thereafter. She did not agree and badgered her lawyer so much I wound up with him in my office having a heart-to-heart about how she was driving him crazy over the side of beef.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #40 of 52

Quote:
You have no idea. I spent a couple years divorcing people. People sure do change over the years.

Funny thing was that the real knock-down fights were over personal property. I litigated a cheap .22 rifle and a stainless rim for a pickup bed.

Strangest of all was a fight over a side of beef. My client's job as a ranch manager entitled him to a side of beef each year. He agreed to give the side of beef to his wife for the year of the divorce, but wanted to keep it thereafter. She did not agree and badgered her lawyer so much I wound up with him in my office having a heart-to-heart about how she was driving him crazy over the side of beef.

This is so true. Divorces sure are ugly. My old boss did divorces for a while but we both got tired of it after a few years. So much petty fighting and over the most insignificant stuff. Strangely, I usually found it rather easy to note who was the responsible and reasonable one in the relationship and vice versa.

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #41 of 52
Man, this thread is both uplifting and depressing, depending on your state when you read it.  I'm with a girl but I'm not sure if she's 'the one' which probably means she isn't otherwise I'd 'feel' it.

I'm not big on marriage anyway, the statistics on failed marriages scares me and I'm not one to play the odds (not a big gambler).  But I always had this vision/dream/whatever that the girl that would make me want to marry her would be in our living room (you gotta live with them first IMO) and she'd put on a concert DVD of my favorite metal band and play it loud as hell.  I'd be somewhere else in the home and would come in to see whats going on. Thats when I'd see her headbanging and when she spots me, she'd throw up the horns and ask me to join in. Well it probably sounds stupid as hell to you, but thats how I think I'd know my 'one'.  Sadly, the girl I'm with will never do this. 

Well... maybe its a stupid dream anyway.

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #44 of 52

Quote:
 But I always had this vision/dream/whatever that the girl that would make me want to marry her would be in our living room (you gotta live with them first IMO) and she'd put on a concert DVD of my favorite metal band and play it loud as hell.  I'd be somewhere else in the home and would come in to see whats going on. Thats when I'd see her headbanging and when she spots me, she'd throw up the horns and ask me to join in. Well it probably sounds stupid as hell to you, but thats how I think I'd know my 'one'.  Sadly, the girl I'm with will never do this. 

You should probably start meeting girls at metal concerts, or only date female metal musicians/fans?

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #45 of 52
You never know, Bojamijams, she might have some other great qualities.

I usd to think similar interests would be ideal. It isn't.

I'd rather date (marry?) someone who is easy to get along with. I mean the really mundane stuff. For example, I'm a night person - slightly grouchy and sullen in the morning. I'd rather have someone who simply accepts that and doesn't take it personally. That's a lot more important than liking my favorite band. I don't care if she does or not.

A fair division of household duties is important, too. That actually worked well with Crazy Rita. She didn't like cleaning, but actually enjoyed laundry and ironing. I don't like laundry that much, so I scrubbed sinks, toilet, mopped, vacuumed, etc. Cooking/cleanup was usually altered 50/50 or done together. That worked.

All that stuff is really important. You actually have to live with someone.

Not quite on the same level, but that's why I'm nuts about the cat. I've had some that constantly demanded in/out, caused problems and were fussy about things. Mai Tai is almost effortless to have around. She doesn't break stuff, never wakes me up and keeps the same hours I do. She's easy to have around and we get along perfectly. (Yes, any girlfriend/wife will have to love cats.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back