Meeting "The One"
Aug 15, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #16 of 52

Quote:
Things took off from there.  I was writing her love poems within 4 weeks.  We were engaged to marry within 8 weeks.  And tomorrow is our 19th wedding anniversary!

Wow, that's amazing. Some people just know when they find the right one, and they don't waste time. When you guys decided to get married, I'm sure you already considered all the compatibility issues and weren't just drowning blindly in the hot lava of romance?

I think what happens to a lot of people is that they "think" they found the one, but what's really happening is they are extremely attracted to the other person and feeling that obsessive, all-consuming initial fire of romance, and haven't fully considered important compatibility issues like values, priorities, lifestyle...etc.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #17 of 52
I met my wife when she was about 5 years old.

My father and her father had been best friends since before they were teenagers. On a visit to their house a long time ago, I met my wife but I had no idea it would turn out that way. In fact, during that first meeting, we didn't even talk.

Fast forward 10 years and this time she came to visit us. Now she was 15 and I was 19. Initially I was taken aback by her good looks and sweet, bubbly personality. However, being that she was 15, I did nothing but talk to her for the better part of a month while she stayed with us. As the days passed during that month I was amazed by how she NEVER bored me and how mature she was for her age. Her logic and conversational skills were beyond those of most 25 year old girls I knew at the time. A month came and went and it was time for her to return home. We kept in touch for 4 years via the internet and we told each other everything. She dated and I dated but regardless of what was going on in our lives, we managed to keep in touch.

Then, when she was 19, she decided to move to Las Vegas which is only a couple of hours away from me. She called me and I immediately invited her to stay over at my place when she could. About a week later, she came to visit. We hadn't seen each other in 4 years but this time around, everything clicked for the better. I felt a level of comfort and intimacy with her that I had never felt with anyone before. In less than three months, she had moved in with me and we have been inseparable ever since. That was 6 years ago and I hope it continues for many, many more as I truly feel she is the one for me.

In the past 6 years we have had our up and downs, our trials and tribulations but through it all I just can't see myself going through those same things with anyone other than her. I know I wouldn't have put up with certain things had it not been her and I am sure she feels the same way about me. We might not be perfect individually but together we are perfect. I feel she completes me and makes me strive to be a better person. We are total opposites on many things but fall on the same page on others as well. At the end of a long day, when I crawl into bed to sleep and wash away the dirt of everyday life, I feel so lucky to have her by side. I feel so loved when she turns around, hugs me and kisses me goodnight. I can't help but feel like a lucky SOB when I wake up by her side. We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.
wink_face.gif

My Baby:

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #18 of 52

Quote:
I met my wife when she was about 5 years old.

Childhood sweetheart stories are the best! There's always that fairytale vibe about them because they originated from the innocence of childhood.

When you guys were only keeping in touch via internet, was there already a romantic vibe? Or did it only happen after she visited you when she was 19? 

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #20 of 52

Quote:
Childhood sweetheart stories are the best! There's always that fairytale vibe about them because they originated from the innocence of childhood.

When you guys were only keeping in touch via internet, was there already a romantic vibe? Or did it only happen after she visited you when she was 19? 

I always felt a strong connection when we were only keeping in touch through the internet. I tried to stay realistic about it (long distance, out of my league, etc etc) but deep down inside I really wanted to be with her.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #21 of 52

Quote:
I always felt a strong connection when we were only keeping in touch through the internet. I tried to stay realistic about it (long distance, out of my league, etc etc) but deep down inside I really wanted to be with her.

So she never felt that connection and it was just you feeling unrequited love, until she finally saw you again at 19? Or was she feeling it too in those years but didn't do anything about it for similar reasons?

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #22 of 52

Quote:

So she never felt that connection and it was just you feeling unrequited love, until she finally saw you again at 19? Or was she feeling it too in those years but didn't do anything about it for similar reasons?

I think we were both on the same page. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #23 of 52

Quote:
Wow, that's amazing. Some people just know when they find the right one, and they don't waste time. When you guys decided to get married, I'm sure you already considered all the compatibility issues and weren't just drowning blindly in the hot lava of romance?

I think what happens to a lot of people is that they "think" they found the one, but what's really happening is they are extremely attracted to the other person and feeling that obsessive, all-consuming initial fire of romance, and haven't fully considered important compatibility issues like values, priorities, lifestyle...etc.

It definitely wasn't a "drowning in a blinding hot lava romance" - we just hit it off right away.  We enjoyed each others company, and we shared each others hobbies, priorities and dreams.  We loved to ski, hike and camp, read books, listen to music and watch movies, go to football and baseball games, we loved our work and children and dogs, eating out for chinese and sushi, looking at the stars in the mountains away from everyone else, and doing community service - and the sex was great too.  :p

Believe it or not, when I first met her I thought that she was cute but her hair style was a little funny and that she was a little thin and short.  I had some reservations that she wasn't what my dream woman should look like, although she was still very attractive. So, it wasn't just an emotional or sexual avalanche that swept us away.  She became more beautiful to me as I came to know her, and now when I look at old pictures of her from when we met I think that I was crazy for thinking those things.  Within a month of dating her something inside me was realigned properly where I could see all things in a new light.  I was dating several other woman at the time she bought me at the auction, but I didn't have that connection with any of them like I did with her.  I broke it off with the others after our first date, and never looked back.

This is my family in Hawaii for Christmas 2008 - She was 50 at the time (I was 46) and the kids are now 13, 16, and the oldest will be 18 in three weeks.  I think she is beautiful, and her smile and happiness are so genuine.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #24 of 52
That quote is so true, meanwhile i will use all the worthless woman in the world to fuel my workouts, so all is not lost! I will be buff if i ever do find "her"
biggrin.gif

Don't forget people change as they age, i think this is what also leads to divorce, are you willing to seek therapy and work through your troubles or just give up? Good luck mates!

Quote:
13) He has no bad habits (smoking, drinking, gambling), and exercises self-control when it comes to spending money on expensive things. He consults with me on every significant purchases he makes, as well consult me on all details regarding his career, seeking my opinion. His earnings goes directly to my bank account and trusts me completely in my ability to manage our finances. In return, I often encourage him to buy the expensive things he's hesitant about buying.

Wow wow wow!! I see this all the time, aint nothin wrong with beer
smily_headphones1.gif
It has actually proven health benefits!

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #25 of 52
Some great stories here, and a good thread Lunatique.  When you hear so many marriages failing (a lot of our friends are unfortunately no longer together), it's great to celebrate the many that still work.

Tania and I met at a party a little over 20 years ago.  It was held by her sister and husband (sadly now ex-husband - another that didn't work).  I had split with a girl who I was getting quite serious about - her call to split - a little under a year before.  Tania, had ended a relationship a few months earlier, and had sworn off men.  I was 24, she 21.  Her sister told her they were going to introduce her to a guy who was "loaded", and drove a custom trans-am.  I had neither 
wink.gif
 - but it makes a good story.  Anyway -- we both hit it off that night - not infatuation, just the beginning of a good friendship.

We took things very slow, and became best friends before we took it any further.  Within 4 months, although neither of us said anything, we would unconsciously stop in front of jewelers windows when we went out.  We just knew.

8 months after meeting her, I proposed, and she accepted.  We married the next year.  Our 19th wedding anniversary is this coming November.  We have two wonderful children.  Life is good.

The secret to our relationship is simple.  We talk about everything.  Absolute trust, absolute respect, and still best friends after all of this time.  She's my wife, but also my soul mate.  It sounds corny - but she completes me.  And the biggest thing is never to take your relationship for granted.  You have to work at it all the time.  At times I do get complacent (I am only human) - then something small happens, and I'm reminded again of how much she means to me.  The good thing is that the magic is still there, and I firmly believe it always will be.

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #26 of 52

Judging by your avatar, she was a crack shot...

Not when she was drunk. I wasn't. Though I don't seem like it, I'm quick on my feet and have fast reflexes. I can GTFO like a spooked cat. Which I did, and spent nights on the streets and sleeping in parks.

She wasn't always like that - there were four good years. My family fell for her the day they met her. I think they liked her more than they liked me - my mother and sister were salivating over wedding plans.

Anyway, I tried to get her into an inpatient program. She refused repeatedly and that was that.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #27 of 52

Quote:
Anyway, I tried to get her into an inpatient program. She refused repeatedly and that was that.  

Sad.   You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink......

(not implying she was a horse)

Cut and run sometimes works in shocking people into reforming their bad habits, sometimes not..

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #28 of 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We took things very slow, and became best friends before we took it any further.  Within 4 months, although neither of us said anything, we would unconsciously stop in front of jewelers windows when we went out.  We just knew.

That must've been very romantic. To both feel that something special but still remaining just friends, but in your hearts, you just knew. So without ever having expressed openly anything romantic to each other, you guys just started looking at wedding rings? Who broke the silence and finally came out with it ("the confession" that is)?

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #29 of 52

Quote:
That must've been very romantic. To both feel that something special but still remaining just friends, but in your hearts, you just knew. So without ever having expressed openly anything romantic to each other, you guys just started looking at wedding rings? Who broke the silence and finally came out with it ("the confession" that is)?

Yes - very special time.  The funny thing is that we'd stop at the jewelers  - just window shopping, look at engagement rings, then carry on for a walk in the park.  We both knew already - but we didn't have to talk about it.  Instead, we spent a lot of time just talking.  Long before I popped the question, we'd already discussed where we each wanted to live, our thoughts on children, career, religion,  ..... you name it, we talked about it.  By the time I popped the question I knew more about her than I knew about my brothers and sisters.

I think a couple of months before I asked, we talked 'around the subject' - but not directly addressing it.  In fact proposing was the easy part - I already knew the answer, had known it for months - asking her dad's permission - that was tough!  Not that he didn't approve - it was just a difficult question to ask.  Her dad is really cool though - they moved to our small city a year ago - so we spend a lot more time with them now.  I play golf with him every weekend now.  Close-knit family - that's been really nice too.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #30 of 52
Some really nice stories here :) Very good read too Lunatique!

I believe with no doubt I've found my one and only. Although we are young (21 and 22), we've gone on two long (2-3 month) trips overseas together, and after nearly 5 years love each other more than ever. I met her in high school. It was a small school (only 50 students in my year), and she was the only girl that I ever looked at or had any interest in. We're heading over to the US and Canada for a few months next year, can't wait. I'm a lucky d00d!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back