Meet the Sennheiser IE 800 S
Jan 21, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #17 of 28
Hm... Not sure how they made it worse than the original? I have the originals still and use them at work. They sound great driven with enough power. The review doesn't say what they used. Driving from a cell phone it's normally pretty lackluster kinda like what was described. Curious though what the new vs old comparisons are. I couldn't really find a difference other than a different finish. In fact I find the original ceramic finish more attractive. Wonder if cable length etc has been resolved. They are cheaper looking than the originals too. What's going on Sennheiser?

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #18 of 28
I do not agree with the negative points in that review, except for the cable noise which is pretty severe. I'd suggest using a shirt clip if you're walking around with these.

But the sound is just incredible. I've never heard the original so I don't know how they compare but there are no noticeable peaks that I've come across yet with the 800 S. I would say buyers should be well pleased with what they hear.

My full review will be coming soon but is still a couple weeks away - have to clear some other content first.

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #20 of 28
the only thing i dont like in the original ie800 is the sibilance (words with sss). an inprovement here would make them, for me, almost perfect earphones
I haven't heard the original but the 800 S is not sibilant. I just posted my full review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/20073/

DSC_1704[1].jpg

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #21 of 28
the only thing i dont like in the original ie800 is the sibilance (words with sss). an inprovement here would make them, for me, almost perfect earphones
inb4 "aaAAHHH but I like treble aaaaaaahhhh don't change anything aaahahhhhhh"

I totally agree with this. However, it's quite scarce in my neck of the woods!

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #26 of 28
Since I also review I try to not be critical of other reviewers, kind of a bad karma thing, plus I am sure many think I am a hack at reviewing. I had the pleasure of reviewing these almost a year, and many IEM's ago. The whathifi review was a couple of paragraphs and lacked detail, more of a lame preview. It is not a good representative of what the IE800S is capable of.

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #27 of 28
Since I also review I try to not be critical of other reviewers, kind of a bad karma thing, plus I am sure many think I am a hack at reviewing. I had the pleasure of reviewing these almost a year, and many IEM's ago. The whathifi review was a couple of paragraphs and lacked detail, more of a lame preview. It is not a good representative of what the IE800S is capable of.
I was really shocked when I saw that. I don't know What that guy was smoking when he wrote that review. The ie800s is one of my favourite all time IEMs.

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #28 of 28
I was really shocked when I saw that. I don't know What that guy was smoking when he wrote that review. The ie800s is one of my favourite all time IEMs.
We are in the same camp with the IE800S, they are one of mine as well. Your recommendation of the Daft Punk track does showcase how effective the bass is delivered. The synergy among the frequencies is what the IE800S is all about. When a music track gives the listener a heavy bass track the IE800S delivers without overshadowing the mids or treble, for example. There are so many more positives than negatives, but to write a couple of sentences and diss the IEM makes me feel as if the reviewer didn't really listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back