Meet the HD 598 Special Edition
Nov 29, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #139 of 379
A bit worried since quite a few people on amazon are complaining about fakes, muffled sound, and their models not being authenticated on sennheisers website. Kind of crazy since these just released. Should be fine since I do own the original beige ones and I should get the black ones within a week or so. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #140 of 379
  A bit worried since quite a few people on amazon are complaining about fakes, muffled sound, and their models not being authenticated on sennheisers website. Kind of crazy since these just released. Should be fine since I do own the original beige ones and I should get the black ones within a week or so. 

Almost all the reviews on Amazon are for the Burl Wood Model. I don't think you can go by those reviews. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #141 of 379
I also couldn't resist getting the black hd 598 se's for under $100! Ordered them within hours of the beginning of the deal.

These SE's are only cosmetically different from the regular beige ones: drivers, housing, wiring, pads, etc, are all identical sonically. Amazon is an authorized Sennheiser dealer last I checked and they would not sell fakes in any case. Or I highly doubt it, anyway!

I own a pair of well burned in HD 595's that I love and I'm hoping these sound similar and possibly slightly better. I hate bass heavy cans, so reviews that call these bass light do not worry me in the least. These also have the same specs as the 595's in terms of impedance and efficiency (112 dB/V and 50 ohm impedance) so they should be just as easy to drive, which is great as I find the 595's quite good right out of mu iP5S hpo.

Anyway, excited to have a backup set of Senn's for my iPhone. Or who knows, maybe the 595's will become the backup set!

Awesome deal in any case!

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #142 of 379
  Almost all the reviews on Amazon are for the Burl Wood Model. I don't think you can go by those reviews. 

If you sort them by last posted you see reviews for the SE models bought during Black Friday though. And a few of them say that the headphones they got from Amazon didn't pass Sennheiser's authenticity check on their website. So that's the first thing I'll do when I get them this week.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #143 of 379

If you sort them by last posted you see reviews for the SE models bought during Black Friday though. And a few of them say that the headphones they got from Amazon didn't pass Sennheiser's authenticity check on their website. So that's the first thing I'll do when I get them this week.

Could you please post a link to the authenticity check?

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #144 of 379
Could you please post a link to the authenticity check?

www.qr-sennheiser.com

You can go there and input the code from the box that is right above the QR code, or you can just scan the QR code with your cellphone. I bought a pair of 518's this week, so I tried it with that box, I did it both with the QR scan and the code input on the site, said it was authentic on both accounts.

You can check out a video from Sennheiser, explaining how authentification works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjQ299zz4qo

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #148 of 379
In response to all the posts commenting about the sonic quality differences between the beige 598 and the black special edition, I just received my SE (special edition) today, and I'm pretty sure I hear a difference.  First some history.  I bought my first 598 (beige) about a month ago from Amazon.  I loved them upon first listen.  I was especially pleasantly surprised with the decent amount of bass after reading so many reviews here and on Amazon that say they are bass light.  My only major complaint was the cable length and the silly 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adapter (instead of 3.5 to 6.3), which makes a connection to my iPhone 6 look ridiculous due to the size.  I was planning on buying a shorter cable, but then I saw the black friday special on Amazon for the SE for $95 with shorter cable and jumped all over it.  Even though I prefer the beige look, the SE was $45 cheaper and with 2 cables.  I had to return the beige before the SE arrived, so I couldn't do side by side comparisons of sound, but here's what I hear:

First thing I noticed is less bass on the SE.  The beige, that I put maybe 50-100 hours on before returning, was fuller and more prominent in the bass with more impact that resonated.  The next thing I noticed is that vocals on some songs were slightly hissy and ever so slightly sibilant on the SE.  I never heard even slight hissiness or sibilance on the beige 598.  As I'm listening to the SE now, they sound brighter and thinner than the beige ones I returned.  I remember the beige ones sounding warmer and fuller with slightly more relaxed upper mids and treble.  The overall sound signature is similar with similar soundstage, however.  The biggest noticeable difference is the lack of warmth and fullness in the bass and lower mids.

Regarding the comments about authenticity, I checked mine on Sennheiser's site and they checked out as authentic.

So, do you guys think that the difference I'm hearing is due to break in of the phones?  Can I expect these SE's to get fuller and warmer sounding over several hours of use?  The only issue I have with the break in possibility is that the beige never sounded like this even from day 1 from what I remember.  Also, I'm using the short cable with the SE.  Could the difference in sound be due to the different cables?  I'm going to try the long cable with adapter and see if I hear a difference.  Also, is it possible that the exact same model headphones can differ in sound due to slight manufacturing variances?

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #149 of 379
Anyone out there have a used beige 598 and a brand new black SE 598 that can do a side by side or A-B comparison and post their thoughts on how their sound compares?  Better yet, anyone out there that can actually measure the frequency response of both and post it?

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #150 of 379
I got mine for $95 from Amazon on Saturday. They were actually out of the beige/burl wood model by that time. I did not expect that the black model would be on sale for the same price, but it was. I also picked up an Audio Technica ATH - M50x with a $30 Visa gift card for $120 on eBay, so it was $90 net cost. You can't beat a deal like that. It will be a busy week of listening for me! I also just bought a iFi DSD Nano, a Cayan C5 amp to hook up with the iFi (which I am hoping is better than the Fiio e12 I just got when I bought the the iFi), a Schiit Vali and a Schiit Bifrost in the last 2 weeks. Major changes coming my way! This is better than Christmas. I feel like I went from Zero to Hero in one fell swoop. Oh, I also got a set of Momentum 2.0's the week before last. I am going to run out of music to listen to. I also just realized how much I have bought in the last 3 weeks, and it sounds like a lot now that I listed it all. Whoops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back