Meet the HD 598 Special Edition
Nov 27, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #107 of 379
I bought the 518's like 3 days ago from Amazon.ca for 78$, but when I saw the 598's for 109.99 I just couldn't resist. One pair will go on the TV, the other on my computer. The only thing I'm worried about it that the 598's might not be bassy enough for me; 90% of what I listen to these days is EDM or Synthwave. Might have to boost the bass a bit.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #108 of 379
  I bought the 518's like 3 days ago from Amazon.ca for 78$, but when I saw the 598's for 109.99 I just couldn't resist. One pair will go on the TV, the other on my computer. The only thing I'm worried about it that the 598's might not be bassy enough for me; 90% of what I listen to these days is EDM or Synthwave. Might have to boost the bass a bit.

A couple of reviewers said if you change the cable you get more bass although I don't really believe in cable voodoo.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #110 of 379
  just picked the up the special editions for $124 CAD Shipped from Amazon.ca. Cheers!

Congrats on a great price
beerchug.gif
. I just ordered from Amazon.ca  as well 115.49 shipping and tax included as I'm a Amazon prime member.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #111 of 379
Did anyone, who listened to the classic HD 598, give the Special Edition a go?

I got mine today, and I am a little confused, because all reviews state that they are very weak in the bass area, but they sound quite ''bassy'' to me.  I do not have a lot of reference as I own Momentum over ears, Koss Porta pros and Takstar HI 2020.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #112 of 379

I got mine today, and I am a little confused, because all reviews state that they are very weak in the bass area, but they sound quite ''bassy'' to me.  I do not have a lot of reference as I own Momentum over ears, Koss Porta pros and Takstar HI 2020.

Burn-in, friend. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #114 of 379
  Just got mine, too! :)

Don't forget the burn-in, friends! From my experience, an out-of-box HD598 will be beaten by a 1000-hours HD518 in almost every aspect. After approx. 200 hours, your HD598 will be ready to blow some TOTLs out of water :wink:

Just FYI. I was just as skeptical as you, until I experienced the change in sound myself!

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #115 of 379
So it will loose bass? Or gain more Mid and Treble? 

Sorry I am just curious, as I did not notice any significant change in my Momentums, and they burn through more than 300 hours of music. 

Did you try yours? How does it sound?

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #116 of 379

I am very curious about the SE version vs the original version myself. I was SO tempted to order a pair at $95, but I just ordered up an HD-600 and 650. If the SE 598 sounds identical to the original version (which I already own and enjoy), then I will have wasted my $$$.

I am one of the people who feel the 598 is bass light, but on some tracks, it oddly surprises me with with the bass that is there. The bass on the 598 is kinda hit or miss for me. For well recorded, non bass heavy music, the 598 shines IMO. However, when playing bass heavy stuff that relies heavily on the lower registers, the 598 can feel like it's lacking. 

Having said all that, overall, I really like the 598 a LOT and scoring the latest iteration for a song is great! Congrats on your new cans, I think you will be very pleased with them, especially since you seem to find the bass to be satisfying. At the end of the day, that is all that matters. If you are happy with your gear, then it doesn't matter what random people on the internet think.

Enjoy the music, be happy for the great deal, and have fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #117 of 379
  So it will loose bass? Or gain more Mid and Treble? 

Sorry I am just curious, as I did not notice any significant change in my Momentums, and they burn through more than 300 hours of music. 

Did you try yours? How does it sound?

The most significant inprovement after burn-in is the transparency. Every instrument will sound less veiled. More air to breath between instruments. 
And as a result of the improved transparency, you will find the imaging become more precise, HD800-like. 
And as a result of the improved imaging, the bass will be more refined, detailed, "distant", and therefore less in quantity.

Hope it helps. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #118 of 379

I am very curious about the SE version vs the original version myself. I was SO tempted to order a pair at $95, but I just ordered up an HD-600 and 650. If the SE 598 sounds identical to the original version (which I already own and enjoy), then I will have wasted my $$$.

I am one of the people who feel the 598 is bass light, but on some tracks, it oddly surprises me with with the bass that is there. The bass on the 598 is kinda hit or miss for me. For well recorded, non bass heavy music, the 598 shines IMO. However, when playing bass heavy stuff that relies heavily on the lower registers, the 598 can feel like it's lacking. 

Having said all that, overall, I really like the 598 a LOT and scoring the latest iteration for a song is great! Congrats on your new cans, I think you will be very pleased with them, especially since you seem to find the bass to be satisfying. At the end of the day, that is all that matters. If you are happy with your gear, then it doesn't matter what random people on the internet think.

Enjoy the music, be happy for the great deal, and have fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

You wouldn't wasted your money anyway IMO.
HD600/650 has that classic 90's energetic Senn sound, while the 598 is more HD800-like. 

It really comes down to taste when picking 598/700 or 600/650, because they have pretty much the same level of transparency when properly driven. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #119 of 379

HD600/650 has that classic 90's energetic Senn sound, while the 598 is more HD800-like. 

It really comes down to taste when picking 598/700 or 600/650, because they have pretty much the same level of transparency when properly driven. 

Apologies if I wasn't clear, but I already own the old HD-598. I just ordered the 600 & 650 a few days ago. I just got my 650 in a bit earlier today. I meant I would be wasting my money by owning 2 pairs of 598 that sound exactly the same, but are different colors. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #120 of 379

Apologies if I wasn't clear, but I already own the old HD-598. I just ordered the 600 & 650 a few days ago. I just got my 650 in a bit earlier today. I meant I would be wasting my money by owning 2 pairs of 598 that sound exactly the same, but are different colors. 

Haha you know what. This thanksgiving is actually the third time I buy a HD598. 
They sound so good that I can always find someone, family members or friends, to whom I can pass on my old pairs. 
So for me practically I will never have enough of HD598! Hats off to Senn for bringing this extra joy to my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back