MEET IMPRESSIONS AND PICTURES - 2010 CanJam Chicago
Jun 8, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #271 of 549

Quote:
FACT:  You are mistakenly ranting against me and in favor of some cans that you apparently feel you must defend against any and all perceived attackers.  Nice of you to make assumptions about who I am or what I listen to while touting your own prescience about the FOTM-2.  I haven't even listened to them, so I have nothing to say about them.

FACT:  I actually quoted the post about the Chroma 1 headphones that I was referring to and made a comment based upon my own listening experience that was similar to the prior poster.  Maybe you should pay more attention before jumping down my throat and making all kinds of assumptions that were unwarranted.

I guess I'm still sorry, I mixed your unidentified post with another, mr. volts.

FACT:  I was already notified in this thread up a little bit and already apologized for my mistake many posts ago.
FACT:  I am not ranting "against" anyone.
FACT:  I'm making no assumptions about who you are.
FACT:  I am not a victim of FOTM
FACT:  Now I'm apologizing twice, so please read either of my apologies and climb down off your high horse.
REQUEST:  Can we all get along now?

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #272 of 549

Quote:
Some photos from the show

Balancing act connected to a K701 which actually sounded quite amazing!

Luxman P1-U w/ T1
Apex Peak w/ Volcano Supply
Apex Pinnacle
Audeze LCD-2 in all it's glory
Cavalli Liquid Fire
Kevin Gilmore with his awesome T2
Headamp BHSE + O2
Hifiman HE-6
Woo Audio WES
Woo Audio WA5
Woo Energizer connected to Woo 5 amp

Most excellent pictures.  Thanks for posting them!  
gs1000.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #273 of 549

Quote:
yeah, Voltron was replying to JP's reply to my question about impressions on the Rudistor phones.  Kind of cool to see a grado with "no highs to speak of" I  think my wish came true...

It was a cool looking "enclosure" for the Grado drivers though!  
beerchug.gif

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #275 of 549
BTW, to all the organizers...  You guys rock!!!

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #276 of 549
Thank you for the awesome explanation!  I just checked based on the wiring diagram on Audeze and everything seems to be connected correctly based on the ohm readings :)  Out of curiosity, if they were out of phase, does it mean that the ground and channel (L or R) were hooked up backwards?

Quote:
The easiest thing is to put the headphones on your head listening to a mono source.  If it's out of phase, you should easily hear it.
Do you know what out of phase sounds like?

With an ohmmeter (multimeter set to measure continuity or resistance) you test the continuity from each xlr pin to the TRS plug, making sure the right pin# is wired to the right T,R, or S position on the plug.  If this is greek to you, have a friend help you.  If you're in Portland, I'll be glad to help you.
k

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #277 of 549

Quote:
Thank you for the awesome explanation!  I just checked based on the wiring diagram on Audeze and everything seems to be connected correctly based on the ohm readings :)  Out of curiosity, if they were out of phase, does it mean that the ground and channel (L or R) were hooked up backwards?

Yes, you are correct, the "out of phase" condition that is being discussed here is not absolute phase, but rather, "relative phase."  In other words, one channel is out of phase, relative to the other channel.  So one channel has the (-) ground and (+) positive wires reversed on one channel only.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #278 of 549

Quote:
One of the ALO cables on an LCD-2 at CanJam was wired out of phase.

-Ed

Ed,
How was this discovered or verified?  What happened to the cable?
Thx,
k

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #279 of 549

Quote:
  I feel truly sorry for somebody buying the ALO cables as they can't even wire up the show example correctly. 

Ouch wow!, guys I think its a little abrupt to conclude that I have mis wired something? All because a poster thought he heard something was out of phase? There were many of these cables I made floating around not just one. I think the only person who has any real evidence that there was a + - reversal in this one cable is the owner of the cable, Alex Rossen. I am not saying that I have never made a mistake or that I am not perfect, nor it is beyond me to make a mistake in all of the hundreds of headphone cables I have made over the years. I might not be 100% perfect in making mistakes but I and ALO audio is damned near perfect in customer service and getting my customers taken care of. If Alex wants to test it and confirm all he would need to do is send it back for a quick correction that's fine but I would want him to test it and send it back for me to confirm and correct. I for one would be surprised if it was flipped. It makes me sad that I could be thrown under this bus for this with zero factual evidence though. I make my living 100% at doing this, ALO is my day job and I take these things seriously. If there was a + - mis wire in one of them clearly this is something that I would of course take care of immediately like I always do in the event of a issue. I am not one to hide or run away from mistakes, or make excuses, clearly I would be mortified for my friends at Audeze for the miscue and I would sincerely apologize to my friend Alex.

Anyhow I apologize for the distraction, its certainly not the coverage I would have hoped for.

Ken

EDIT - The cable I had made for Audeze was tested by Alex and Sanker and found to be 100% wired correct as I had suspected and not the problem with the phase portion of the measurements. Alex and Sankar also tested the headphones in question and also found no phase issues. I was told that machine use to test the headphone might not have been calibrated for phase? I am still waiting for a public reply from Audeze either here or their website.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 9, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #280 of 549
looks like a hell of a time, i wish i could of been there...lots of familiar faces...i hope i was there in your hearts =)

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #281 of 549
FWIW, I got a chance to listen to the Audeze LCD-2 headphones with ALO's cabling for a few minutes, and I did not feel as though they were wired out of phase. Admittedly I am much less experienced with phase mismatch in headphones than with speaker setups.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #282 of 549

Quote:
FWIW, I got a chance to listen to the Audeze LCD-2 headphones with ALO's cabling for a few minutes, and I did not feel as though they were wired out of phase. Admittedly I am much less experienced with phase mismatch in headphones than with speaker setups.

miaw, it really was a pleasure meeting you, and getting to listen to the lcd-2 with you on your sweet setup. and also getting to talk to you about your dac design, i think its unfortunate a few more people didnt stop by your table to get a listen, hopefully you'll have a bit more luck in that regard at the next event.

overall getting to listen to the 3a was awesome, but honestly the most amazing part was meeting all the really cool and knowledgeable people, so thanks everyone for all the awesome conversations we had 
biggrin.gif
 in case that all got lost in the novel i wrote 10 or so pages back, that were my main impressions.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #283 of 549

Quote:
I was the fat guy in a white shirt with black and red stripes.. Camera hanging from the neck and had a black bag with me all the time. You gave me the W1000x for a while out of your Vinyl setup!

Pics are already uploaded here : http://picasaweb.google.com/rushvora

Will do the captioning and will post my impressions of various headphones etc later, right now I'm busy watching the NBA Finals! 

Great pics man!

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #284 of 549

Quote:
Quote:
  I feel truly sorry for somebody buying the ALO cables as they can't even wire up the show example correctly. 

Ouch wow!, guys I think its a little abrupt to conclude that I have mis wired something? .......... I am not one to hide or run away from mistakes, or make excuses, clearly I would be mortified for my friends at Audeze for the miscue and I would sincerely apologize to my friend Alex.

Anyhow I apologize for the distraction, its certainly not the converage I would have hoped for.

Ken

Missed that post and Birgir knows he is being unfair and a little quick with his judgement, all due to longstanding politics that need not to fester here. I am not a cable guy in general but I do like Ken a lot, living in Portland has afforded me the opportunity to get to know him a little more and the one thing he cares about are his customers. A real standup guy. I heard the ALO cable with the LCD2 and posted my surprised reaction here, voodoo or not, I liked what I heard and there was no question about correct phase. There is a great phase test track on the Stereophile Editors choice test disc if anyone wants to hear what phase errors sound like. 

just felt that needed to be said..dB

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #285 of 549
Quote:
miaw, it really was a pleasure meeting you, and getting to listen to the lcd-2 with you on your sweet setup. and also getting to talk to you about your dac design, i think its unfortunate a few more people didnt stop by your table to get a listen, hopefully you'll have a bit more luck in that regard at the next event.

Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate getting the chance to listen to the LCD-2. :)

The Logan room was a little light on traffic, but I had an great time meeting a bunch of forum people for the first time and hanging out with Hyo, James, and Kay from Phiaton and Marcel from Antelope. The lighter traffic did mean I had a bit of time to check out the Phiaton headphone lineup and Zodiac+ though, which is great for me because usually at meets I don't get a chance to try out new gear myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back