MEET IMPRESSIONS AND PICTURES - 2010 CanJam Chicago
Jun 6, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #151 of 549
Well I'm back home in Dayton.  If I had to drive around Chicago on a daily basis I would lose my mind!

Some more reports.

Audio Technica W1000X - Not my cup of tea.  Honestly, it's another variation of Audio Technica's typical sound sig.  I felt the bass was rolled off  a little too much.  The typical upper midrange boost was decently done.- not to a painful level like the AD2000.

Grado GR8.  These are actually great sounding IEMs.  They have a very balanced sound, albeit with a bit of a rolloff in the treble.  They don't really have the "Grado" sound.  I suppose this is because Grado doesn't make the drivers.

Electrostatics (various) - I found the Stax O2 MKI to be preferable to the MK2.  I found the bass on the MK2 to be muddy.
I've heard a lot of electostatics setups and I always come up with the same feeling - nice, but not worth to money (to me).  I need flat bass extension to 20hz!

Somebody asked for some LCD2 vs W1000X comments.  I'd say these headphones are pretty much the opposite of each other.  THE LCD2 is bassy, somewhat dark sounding, and IMO needs a little extra energy in the treble.  The W1000X has enough energy at the top, has a brighter sound is in dire need (IMO) of better bass extension.

Somebody in another thread asked for comments on the Westone ES5 vs the JH13.

Let me start by rocking the boat - I left CanJam with a preference for the ES5.  I really liked these IEMs.

The JH13 is a well balanced headphone and it has a solid bass presence (read: boosted).  There is quite a bit of energy at the low end and you get a great thump when the bass hits - it's like a sub.  The treble is well extended and has enough presence, but I found it a little too smooth sounding.  I wanted a little extra sparkle at top.

The focus on the ES5's energy is at the top.  The treble has a nice amount of sparkle.  The bass is there, but it doesn't slam like the JH13.  The end result is that the ES5 is a drier sounding headphone, but it has a great amount of clarity.  If the JH13 can be considered to be a little dark sounding, the ES5 is quite a bit brighter.

To state all this in more commonly used terms, the ES5 is a more "analytic" IEM and the JH13 is more "fun."

Both are incredible so it all boils down to personal preference.  The JH13s are easier to listen too because they are more forgiving at the top end, but I suspect the ES5 will be more neutral in a measurement sense.

Finally, my vote on the "Winning Can" meaning the headphone I would have liked to have walked out with.

I just kept going back to listen to the T1.  The bass has good punch, and the upper area (upper mids/treble) has enough energy that you get all the sparkle that comes with instruments that hang around up there (e.g. cymbals) but it doesn't come off as overly hot or sibilant.  Beyer really got it right.  The can is also well made, extremely elegant, comfortable, and everything you want when you buy a "luxury" product.

Both the LCD2 and T1 were driven out of an Mini3 without a fuss.  They both sounded great on that tiny amp!

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #152 of 549
Jun 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #153 of 549

Quote:
Anybody get the chance to compare the JH13's to the JH3A+13 combo?

Obviously, not a perfect comparison since the combo would not be custom molded, but it would prove useful nonetheless.

There was no JH3A+13 combo, only a JH3A+16 combo.  The JH13 for the JH3A wasn't at the show.

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #154 of 549

Quote:
Wow - looking at those pictures and reading impressions is fantastic - thanks to everyone. I have to try this before I die....

ditto. I don't have the head-fi bug to call this a hobby yet. One of these days I'll have to go and get some listening experience under my belt.
All that gear must've been fun to try out. I'm really curious to hear what a STAX sounds like.

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #156 of 549
Sorry for the construction traffic, odigg.  We're expanding in preparation for the next time Jude brings this show through town.

The event was super cool.  I didn't have to time to do everything that I wanted to do, but I will mention a few notable experiences:

1. I don't think I've heard a better IEM than the Westone ES5s, though it's a shame that I lit them on fire (stupid candles).  They gave me a shirt for their troubles, so it's all good.
  2. Sensaphonics made some ear impressions for me.  That was fun, as was hearing their opinions on IEM driver proliferation.
  3. Etymotic and Sensaphonic make a custom mold for the ER4 (among others models).  Ety said that theirs isolates about on par with the triple flange tips.  I don't have any of these, so they sent me home with a couple pairs (enjoying some Shpongle through the large pair as I type this).
  4. I met Jude yaaaayyyyyy.  If someone starts a Shoe-Fi thread, I hope that Jude posts his impressions of the sweet Sanuks he was wearing.

Thank you for making this happen, HeadFiers.

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #157 of 549

Quote:
ditto. I don't have the head-fi bug to call this a hobby yet. One of these days I'll have to go and get some listening experience under my belt.
All that gear must've been fun to try out. I'm really curious to hear what a STAX sounds like.

haha true. I've always wanted to audition all these cans, amps, DACs, etc. for the past 2 years, but I've been stuck with cheap-ass headphones. You won't understand the feeling I went through when, after 2 years, I finally get to hear them for the first time. A huge jump from nothing to everything! It's like going from eating only a small piece of bread and 8oz of soup a day to a huge "buffet". I won't forget this day ever!

Canjam has also helped me select my next buy. It won't be too long before I have my audio rig ready. Thanks to everyone at Canjam!

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #158 of 549

Quote:
The event was super cool.  I didn't have to time to do everything that I wanted to do, but I will mention a few notable experiences:

1. I don't think I've heard a better IEM than the Westone ES5s, though it's a shame that I lit them on fire (stupid candles).  They gave me a shirt for their troubles, so it's all good.

Thank you for making this happen, HeadFiers.

I can't agree more... it was a highlight the ES5s were.

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #159 of 549
Thanks @odigg for furhter impressions on ES5. Just wonder have you tried JH16? If JH13 is 'fun' compared to ES5, how would you describe JH16?

By the way I like Sanuk too :)

EDIT: Ooops, @odigg I saw your another post in the ES5 thread regarding JH16. Thanks again :)

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #161 of 549

Quote:
Someone mentioned that  JH had universal tips for their JH13/16? Is this available as a commercial product or only for demo purposes? I don't have access to an audiologist around where I live, so if universal tips version is available I'd be very interested.

I bet if you requested them to do it, they would, but I think you'd probably pay the same price as if it were custom. Still, no worrying about fit issues, which is nice.

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #162 of 549

Quote:
Someone mentioned that  JH had universal tips for their JH13/16? Is this available as a commercial product or only for demo purposes? I don't have access to an audiologist around where I live, so if universal tips version is available I'd be very interested.

AFAIK it's only for demo purposes.. I remember someone asked Jerry and the answer was no..

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #163 of 549
Just got back to LA from Chicago.  Quite tired.  Had a great time hanging with old friends and new.  Excellent gear, beer, and more.

Thanks to all that made CanJam Chicago possible.

I'm trying to type quietly and not wake up my wife listening to a pair of HE-6's on my head.  More on that later....
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed 

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #164 of 549

Quote:
Just got back to LA from Chicago.  Quite tired.  Had a great time hanging with old friends and new.  Excellent gear, beer, and more.

Thanks to all that made CanJam Chicago possible.

I'm trying to type quietly and not wake up my wife listening to a pair of HE-6's on my head.  More on that later....
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed 

So the HE-6 is better than the LCD-2?

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #165 of 549

Quote:
any impression on the Smyth surround systems?

wondering if it might work with the LCD2...

I tried the LCD2 with my recorded SVS streams, but they sounded off.  Not sure if getting an HPEQ done with them would help enough.  As much as I liked the LCD2, the phase and imaging was quite off.  Not to mention they are very uncomfortable to wear for those with anything but tiny heads.  But man oh man, the frequency response and PRAT was fanfrickintastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back