MeElectronics Airfi Matrix2 AF62 - Bigger Earpads Mod
Jul 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Tyler Durden

Head-Fier
These are well known to have Earpads which are too small to fit over all but the smallest ears, so I went looking for some bigger ones. Well it seems like I have hit the jackpot first time.

I ordered a pair of Brainwavz HM5 earpads from MP4Nation and they arrived today. They fit really well and from a quick test seem to be ideal.

Here are some photos for anyone who is interested.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 37
I'd be interested if anyone has tried the Shure velour pads on the Matrix2?  According to this thread, the Shure pads fit the HM5 well, I wonder if they will work on the Maxtrix2.  My ears just dont do well with the leatherette pads for long periods.  I recently took my Matrix2's on a trip but preffered to use the IEMs I had because the leatherette pads just make my head sweat uncontrolably.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 37
I just bought these from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC940-Replacement-Velour-Headphones/dp/B005OM06RG .  According to the HM5 thread, they fit the HM5, so I hope they fit the Matrix2.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 37
Hi, any update on the Shure HPAEC940 Replacement Velour Ear Pads? Just purchased the Matrix 2 headphones and like everything about them except the small pads. Let me know ASAP please as I may have to return headphones for something else if replacing pads doesn't help fit. Cheers.

Just a note to say I'm in the UK so picking up a pair Brainwavz HM5s pads is an issue for me while I can pickup a pair of Shure HPAEC940 quite easily.

Already I'm feeling a little deflated and I may have to return the MEE Matrix 2s and go with option B and pickup a set of Sony MDR10RBT. Almost twice the price but if the fit is actually over ear and they also block out more external noise they maybe the winner.

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 37
The trouble is I would need this week in order to be within my returns window should I bail out in the Matrix 2s.

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 37
No update yet. I decided to get the cheapest shipping from amazon. I figured since the distribution center was only 400 miles from my house I'd get it in a couple of days. Wrong. My package is taking a tour of the country. All Amazon is telling me is I should have it by Friday.

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 37
Just ordered some Brainwavz HM5 Velor MBrainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Earpads emory Foam Earpads and paid for FedEx shipping. Will update when received, thanks for the info leading to MP4Nation Tyler.

Must be rich as I'm just chucking money at the problem :rolleyes:if it doesn't workout will offer the Earpads out to someone on these forums I guess.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 37
Just ordered some Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Earpads from MP4Nation, thanks for the info leading to this site Tyler. Also thanks to uli2000 for coming back so quick.

Must be feeling rich as I'm just chucking money at the problem :rolleyes:, if it doesn't work out I guess i'll offer the pads up to a forum member?

Will update once received, I've paid for FedEx so should be here this week. I'm so impatient!

I've gone for Brainwavz as I'm not sure the opening looks that large on Shure HPAEC940s, and also I've gone for the velour versions of the HM5 anyway.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 37
QUESTION: do the headphones still fit into the supplied case?

These are well known to have Earpads which are too small to fit over all but the smallest ears, so I went looking for some bigger ones. Well it seems like I have hit the jackpot first time.

I ordered a pair of Brainwavz HM5 earpads from MP4Nation and they arrived today. They fit really well and from a quick test seem to be ideal.

Here are some photos for anyone who is interested.

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 37
Just got my Shure pads today.  They fit, but not well.  I'll post some pics in a bit.  I have a feeling I'll be sending this back and waiting to see how well the Brainwavz pads work for you.

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #15 of 37
Thats disapointing news but do show us pics please.

While Im waiting for Brainwavz pads I orderded the Sony MDR-10RBT which have arrived today. 100 times more comfortable than the Matrix2 AF62's as they actually fit over your ears, but they are no where near as well made and after a few hours listening Im not impressed with the sound quality when comparing them directly.

The build of the Sonys is very cheap, cheap light plastic, cheap sticky feeling pleather, cheap light feeling buttons. Also for my ears theres very little bass and they dont block out much external noise.

If the Brainwavz pads work out and improve the fit of Airfi Matrix2 AF62 then the MDR-10RBT's will be off to ebay very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back