Meelec M6 -- Awful (Update: Not So Awful)
Dec 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

FishStik

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of M9s way back when and was very impressed. They're a great pair of phones. After a while the wire started getting finicky and they wouldn't stay in my ear for very long so I thought the M6s would be a good alternative.

I received them today and couldn't be more disappointed. No matter how hard I try, I can't get any of the bi- or triple-flange tips to fit correctly--I get no sound at all when it seems like it's not going to fall right out of my ears. The single-flange tips fit, but it seems as though I can't get a 'proper' fit, and there is a loud hissing sound that makes listening unbearable. I've fiddled around with them for hours and have decided that it is impossible for me to get a seal. I am getting an extremely tinny sound combined with what sounds like a hurricane right near my ears.

I'm returning them ASAP and going back to my M9s.

EDIT 3 YEARS LATER: Nevermind! The M6's are actually great.

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 37
I experienced the same problems with my M6's and also prefer the sound of my M9's. I ended up giving the M6's to my girlfriend, she likes them and she doesn't seem to experience the same problems we do.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 37
Although the M6 is over twice the price of the M9, and is SUPPOSED to sound better it sounds like crap to me. I was shocked at the sibilance and lack of bass, so I got rid of them and gave the M9's a try, glad I did.
They sound FAR better to me and have a decent amount of Bass AND treble, all for $14.99.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 37
Sounds like you were having fit issues, likely due to the memory wire. In fact, complaints of "sibilance and lack of bass" pretty much guarantee that's the issue. Solution: just cut off the memory wire. It's what I did, and the fit of the M6 ends up being perfect.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 37

Quote:
Sounds like you were having fit issues, likely due to the memory wire. In fact, complaints of "sibilance and lack of bass" pretty much guarantee that's the issue

+1.

For a long time, I did not hear any bass. None of the stock tips helped. Using Xears Bullet Medium size tips finally gave me bass.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 37

Quote:
Sounds like you were having fit issues, likely due to the memory wire. In fact, complaints of "sibilance and lack of bass" pretty much guarantee that's the issue. Solution: just cut off the memory wire. It's what I did, and the fit of the M6 ends up being perfect.

The only reason why I bought the M6 was for the extra comfort and security the memory wire provides. Now that I see that I have to sacrifice sound for that, I find it's not worth it.

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 37
I have fit issues with the pair I just got too although it seems like I have the opposite problem. I can hear great highs when I am touching the phones but as soon as they shift to a natural position it's gone. I also hear what I figure can only be driver flex whenever I try to reposition them. I've tried all the stock tips aswell as the hybrids but its all about the same. It's a bummer too because I like the way they sound when positioned correctly. Just not for my ears I guess. Got them when they were on sale so not a huge deal.

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 37
I had the complete opposite experience. I gave my M9s to my brother as the M6s work better for me - they sound fuller with less but better bass. The M9s had bass but the sound shifted to the left or right depending on the fit (as Joker noted they are very fit dependent) and they sounded tinny to me - just bloated bass and very piercing highs. I did find a big difference by using different tips - I always use UE tips, foam comfies or if I need to Hybrids for all my IEMs. With some small reversable modifications I can also get those same tips onto the smaller PL50s. I too have gotten all my Meelec IEMs on sale at great prices.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 37
The M9 sounds very harsh and sibilant to me, while the m6 is still a bit sibiliant but greatly improved.  I did have a bit of trouble fitting the m6 to my ears.  The memory wire isn't stiff enough so it's hard to shape them correctly.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 37
I still think that alot of the fit issues with the m6 could be resolved if people simply cut off the memory wire. With a small pair of scissors, it takes all of two minutes, and the IEMs are much more comfortable to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back