MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Jul 20, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,696 of 3,265
I also have my P1s paired with the Q1, and it sounds fantastic on high gain with the bass boost turned on (or with it off). It's not portable, but I've also tried with the Bravo V1 and it sounds good. I was beginning to think the P1s sound good with anything, but I just got an XDuoo XD-05 because of good reviews, and my initial impressions aren't as good as the others (the amp, not the P1s). The highs are on the verge of shrill, but I'm hoping that mellows out (or I may have to change the opamps). My bigger concern is digital noise between songs and at the start of songs.

But yes -- the Q1 sounds awesome with the P1s.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,697 of 3,265
Would the P1 be considered mid-centric?

As another poster mentioned, not at all.  The mids on the P1 are warm, lush and very musical sounding -- they have a really attractive presence but they are not mid-centric as other brands can be.  The Westone um series (never owned w series) have, what I've come to understand, as westone signature sound -- very mid centric.  Personally, the um1 pro is still one of my favorite earphones, mainly because I can put them on at work and listen for 5 or 6 hours straight with absolutely no fatigue.

On another note, I've forgotten how some earphones do need burn in.  I'm one that has been usually on the side that views burn in as a myth.  But in regards to dynamic drivers, I'm more open to the possibility because I have noticed the P1's settling into something I am more excited about than when I first received them.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #1,698 of 3,265
I would agree on your comments. I won't comment on the Nova here, this is the P1 thread. But will say they are two different approaches which to me achieve the same end....quality sound in a moderate to mid-fi price.

The P1's are simply a marvel regardless of price. Upon receiving them, I was completely happy with them...once I got past the "burn-in" adjustment phase. I really did not like the P1 until about 20 hours in. I had thoughts of returning them, expect the high demand warranted I give them time. I am extremely happy that I did.

The overall sound I would apply is one of open honest airiness. Yes, the treble can be sibilant, but not as much as my M6 Pro's. To me, the mids are slightly forward for my tastes, and the bass is weaker than I like; but the overall tonality overshadows that so much that I can definitely live with the sound.

For $200, you are hard pressed to find something "better" or more mature of sound. And when we start comparing the P1 to IEM's costing 2-5x the price; says it all right there. The sound signature is something I still appreciate today, even though I have moved on to the Nova.

Bass can be controlled with EQ, or a bass setting on a portable amp (needed anyway for full appreciation). Mids can then be toned down as well as treble. Tips can have the same effect, but not as pronounced as an amp, and most of us eventually get an amp to "bring out the best" in our IEM's, anyway.

The P1, is well worth the cost, and I see several on Amazon for less than retail, or even used. You could do much worse than the P1, especially for the price.

It's well noted downfall is the power needed to drive the IEM. I all but have the P1 maxed out in fairly loud situations, and this is with above average isolation. Adding my Fiio A3 to the stream, and that weakness is taken care of well.

The P1 is such a good piece, that I truly await MEE's next best "flagship" to see where they will go. A very laudable effort from a company known for "budgety" headphones.

Just a darn good IEM, which anyone from the budget-conscious to the audiophile snob should be able to appreciate. Hope this helps. Cheers.

"For $200, you are hard pressed to find something "better" or more mature of sound. And when we start comparing the P1 to IEM's costing 2-5x the price; says it all right there."

The $200 price point is a strange one -- lots of options around $100 and quite a few around $300 but not so many at $200. I realize that this is kind of nitpicking, but I'm curious about what other earphones occupy the $200 space because the only earphones I have to compare with the p1 are either cheaper or more expensive than the P1's.

All this to say, I'm struggling in arriving at the conclusion that the P1's are an amazing "bang for the buck". Don't get me wrong, I'm liking the P1's more and more but in my mind the "jury's still out" in terms of stunning value.

Just south of the P1's in price:
- trinity deltas: Love them. I have no hesitation is declaring these as amazing for the price paid ($100-ish?).
- RHA ma750i: kind of love them. I think i got them for $129-ish. excellent value.

Just north in price:
- Sony XBA A3: These are absolutely fantastic for the price. Crazy soundstage in depth and breadth. The P1's are slightly, slightly behind the A3's in this area. But I should point out the soundstage on the P1's are outstanding, but the A3 are on another level. The A3's are also more detailed across lows, mids and highs. an amazing buy if you can make the fit work out.

- Fidue A83: Another great buy in my mind. I'm wasn't planning on doing detailed comparisons for all these examples. I'll save that for another time perhaps. I really do admire the work many of you do in reviewing earphones and doing detailed comparisons, not an easy endeavor.

- Dunu 2000j: Waiting for mine to come in. But after reading, researching these for months, I'm certain the 2000j's are a tremendous value for what you get.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,699 of 3,265
My P1's are en route back to my home,because of a filter issue.,but I agree with SamL,about the Sony A3's,{just listed mine FS-$239-}}
Bought them for my wife,and although she liked them,and loved the SQ ,when we were listening to them ,on my desktop setup {Asgaard2 amp/GungnirMB dac},they were outstanding,..but,one day while on the subway,some woman came up to her and said",whats are those things,sticking out of your ears-they look like dinosaurs" ,...that was the last time she wore them-LOL,so,my search continues for something else,for her.,and,
NO,she is not getting my P1's!!!!!

Mike

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,700 of 3,265
My P1's are en route back to my home,because of a filter issue.,but I agree with SamL,about the Sony A3's,{just listed mine FS-$239-}}
Bought them for my wife,and although she liked them,and loved the SQ ,when we were listening to them ,on my desktop setup {Asgaard2 amp/GungnirMB dac},they were outstanding,..but,one day while on the subway,some woman came up to her and said",whats are those things,sticking out of your ears-they look like dinosaurs" ,...that was the last time she wore them-LOL,so,my search continues for something else,for her.,and,

Mike

Your wife should have rattled off the specs, and finished by saying, "better than anything your smarmy arse would wear!"

No all kidding aside, the P1 is fantastic, for what it is; a flagship from a company stepping into new or uncharted territory for them. A very laudable effort and I await what their next foray will be!

I really like my RHA 750's too. Scratch-n-dent Amazon purchase ($61), which sound pretty darn good!

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #1,701 of 3,265

Mike

Come on Mike, fix her up with her own P1's. Mine actually wanted a pair of Trinity's but one day after she had been listening to her favorite album she sneaked up behind me a kissed my ear and said she loved me almost as much as her iem's
eek.gif

What's not to like about the P1?

beerchug.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,702 of 3,265
I also have my P1s paired with the Q1, and it sounds fantastic on high gain with the bass boost turned on (or with it off). It's not portable, but I've also tried with the Bravo V1 and it sounds good. I was beginning to think the P1s sound good with anything, but I just got an XDuoo XD-05 because of good reviews, and my initial impressions aren't as good as the others (the amp, not the P1s). The highs are on the verge of shrill, but I'm hoping that mellows out (or I may have to change the opamps). My bigger concern is digital noise between songs and at the start of songs.

But yes -- the Q1 sounds awesome with the P1s.

Thanks, Mouseman! Interestingly, i almost bought the Xduoo instead...so dont mind your comparisons. Thats one reason i asked about the "pairing" with Q1... strong believer in the whole chain working together, even great components just dont always work or sound good with some other components. Hopefully youll still enjoy the xduoo with something else...

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,703 of 3,265
I asked Head-Fi to correct the categorization of the P1 in the Head Gear section. Whomever created the entry put it in 'Headphones'. I asked for it to be properly put in 'In-Ears' and 'universals'. It is now the #7 rated universal iem all time on Head-Fi. Just goes to show how important it is to create a entry correctly the first time.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #1,704 of 3,265
I asked Head-Fi to correct the categorization of the P1 in the Head Gear section. Whomever created the entry put it in 'Headphones'. I asked for it to be properly put in 'In-Ears' and 'universals'. It is now the #7 rated universal iem all time on Head-Fi. Just goes to show how important it is to create a entry correctly the first time.

Thank you. Helps rank the P1 higher! Which it should be...

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,705 of 3,265
Be sure to check this audio session with the Pinnacle P1 - WOW!

https://soundcloud.com/upgrade-music/upgrade-superset-2014-free-download

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,707 of 3,265
I have a balanced cable for my P1s on order to pair with my Theorem 720, will report back after burn in, etc.

Not sure what to expect as someone pointed out earlier in the thread that the designers were not intending for the P1 to be used with balanced cables; we'll just have to see!

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #1,709 of 3,265

I actually agree with all three of you fellows, P1's sounded great from the get go but SS does change even with different amps but all still sound good. I rather liked this X3ii/NX2 on them myself
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

+1 on the X3ii,I'm using that as well,and have it paired with the CayinC5 amp,and the Fiio E-12,as back up,getting great results.
Just wish the Cayin,had a longer life battery,sees I'm always re-charging it.

Mike

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #1,710 of 3,265
Back to the Pinnacle P1:

The Pinnacle P1 is an amazing accomplishment by MEE Audio that everybody and their grand paw paw should own. I think it is amazeballs, and more than a few others seem to think the same. There are some reviews out there. They are good and worth reading.

Discuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back