MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Dec 20, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #3,091 of 3,265
I totally agree one of the best iems for classical especially balanced with silver plated cables!

After a long time I am ready to share some experiences.
I received the spiral dots and tried them for a while but I kept going back to my full size headphones (AudioQuest NightOwls) because I simply greatly preferred the enveloping, huge sound they provide compared to a smallish and comparatively thin impression from the IEMs. Additionally I find the IEMs uncomfortable most of the time, and not easy to get a good seal.

That was until I went back to trying tips.
I had the 1More triple which come with a large selection of tips, including small ones down to 10mm.
In the end I settled for the 1More 11mm foam tips, which provided the best fit and seal while being relatively comfortable.
With those the P1 Ireally do enjoy the P1. With the Mojo I get a very clear and detailed, yet still smooth sound, with very good bass presence for a goood balance.
What did not change is the small sound image. I don't want to call it soundstage, they actually give a good miniature image of the musical scene, but when I switch between the NightOwls and the P1 it's like changing from sitting in a concert hall to looking at a doll house concert hall.

This does not mean I don't like them, at the contrary, I really enjoy the sound, and if wearing would be a bit more comfortable I'd like them even more.
So I ordered some custom fit ear plug silicone to make some makeshift custom tips and hope that this will combine the good seal of the foam tips with increased comfort and more secure seat.

Bottomline - I start to really like them and see them as a viable alternative to my full size headphones.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #3,092 of 3,265
It's not fair to compare comfort and sound stage with the nighthawks!
For an iem though the ''sound stage'' is very good with good positioning and separation.
They become my listening companion at the very hot summer nights here in Greece when
no other headphone can be tolerated,

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #3,093 of 3,265
image.jpg
image.jpg
Look at my idea to use the wonderful shure silicon "cuttin highs edge" tips.
image.jpg

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #3,095 of 3,265
For comfort reasons or to tame the highs?

For two reasons. The only flaw of this iem is the thin highs it have. With this solution the peak is gone and the sound is more "analogic" very simirar to hd650, a sound that's very easy to listen. The shure tips works like the foam, and swapping from original to this is even more easy. For some genres i prefer the stock configurations, but when the cymbals are very present the weak point come out and I can't get accustomed, especially coming from my home. The good thing is that the huge soundstage is untouched from the swap

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #3,096 of 3,265
I found the tips having a big influence on sound. The included silicone tips lacked warmth and fullness (lack of lower frequencies) and the comply foam tips were a bit difficult to use for me. I think I have a rather small ear canal and am still trying to learn what works for me.

Best sound I got from the (small) foam tips that came with the 1More Triple. Nice full sound with smooth and detailed mids and highs. Comfort is ok, but I ordered some custom earplug silicone to try to make custom tips.

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #3,098 of 3,265
Using my P1 with the Dragonfly Black for several months, I'm looking for a less "edgy" sounding DAC/Amp pairing (mainly for desktop use, budget around 200$, transportable).
Something that will lift up the P1's bass level, without compromising details, but also less edgy in the highs than the DFB...

Any suggestions?

I was looking at some models like :
- Audioengine D3
- ifi nano BL
- Fiio E10K / K3...

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #3,099 of 3,265
Using my P1 with the Dragonfly Black for several months, I'm looking for a less "edgy" sounding DAC/Amp pairing (mainly for desktop use, budget around 200$, transportable).
Something that will lift up the P1's bass level, without compromising details, but also less edgy in the highs than the DFB...

Any suggestions?

- Audioengine D3
- ifi nano BL
- Fiio E10K / K3...

I am using the P1 with the CHORD Mojo, which I absolutely love. It's really natural, detailed and smooth with incredible soundstage and musicality. But that's far outside your budget.
But you already have a good DAC in the DFB. What tips are you using?
The P1 sounds very different depending on the tip. The included comply foam tips are the most bassy ones, but really damping the mid/high frequencies. The triple flange also smooth out the treble quite a lot. I just posted some impressions here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...pressions-thread.894139/page-12#post-14695365

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #3,100 of 3,265

Any suggestions?
I'll second the recommendation on tips, but I'd suggest the JVC Spiral Dots. They help the bass level, and tame the highs a bit. I think they really transform the P1s from the stock tips.

As far as DAC/Amp, I think the absolute best pairing I've experienced is the xDuoo XD-05 with the Burson V5i dual opamp upgrade. It's magical with the P1s. I also have the xDuoo XP-2, which is smaller and considerably more portable, but its sound isn't on the same level. The ES100 is also amazing with the P1. I wouldn't recommend the Fiio Q5 (at least with the stock amp), it was a little too "crystalline" for my ears, which could equal "edgy" to you.

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #3,101 of 3,265

Any suggestions?

- Audioengine D3
- ifi nano BL
- Fiio E10K / K3...

I have DF Red and D3. You'll find D3 is less edgy, I like it better than DF for that reason. At a similar size my preference goes to HRT microstreamer however but there are also quite a few other options I haven't had a chance to try out such as Geek Out, Apogee Groove, Meridian Explorer, Centrance DACPort and Cyrus SoundKey for those I am aware of. Forget about Cambridge Audio DACMagic XS as it sounds very subpar IMO. The LG/B&O HiFi Plus is nice too but is quirky to use and lacks enough output power for the P1 I believe.

At a bigger size I can warmly recommend the Audiotrack Prodigy Cube with Burson v5i opamp which is my preferred desktop unit out of everything I have.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #3,102 of 3,265
I'll second the recommendation on tips, but I'd suggest the JVC Spiral Dots. They help the bass level, and tame the highs a bit. I think they really transform the P1s from the stock tips.

As far as DAC/Amp, I think the absolute best pairing I've experienced is the xDuoo XD-05 with the Burson V5i dual opamp upgrade. It's magical with the P1s. I also have the xDuoo XP-2, which is smaller and considerably more portable, but its sound isn't on the same level. The ES100 is also amazing with the P1. I wouldn't recommend the Fiio Q5 (at least with the stock amp), it was a little too "crystalline" for my ears, which could equal "edgy" to you.

Thanks a lot for these good suggestions!
I'll take a look at the XD-05 :thumbsup:

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #3,103 of 3,265
I have DF Red and D3. You'll find D3 is less edgy, I like it better than DF for that reason. At a similar size my preference goes to HRT microstreamer however but there are also quite a few other options I haven't had a chance to try out such as Geek Out, Apogee Groove, Meridian Explorer, Centrance DACPort and Cyrus SoundKey for those I am aware of. Forget about Cambridge Audio DACMagic XS as it sounds very subpar IMO. The LG/B&O HiFi Plus is nice too but is quirky to use and lacks enough output power for the P1 I believe.

At a bigger size I can warmly recommend the Audiotrack Prodigy Cube with Burson v5i opamp which is my preferred desktop unit out of everything I have.

Thanks, there is a plenty of options to look at...
Do you need to install drivers to run the Audioengine D3 on a PC?

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #3,104 of 3,265
Thanks, there is a plenty of options to look at...
Do you need to install drivers to run the Audioengine D3 on a PC?

Nope, no 3rd party drivers required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back