MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Jan 3, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #3,106 of 3,265
Would a P1 satisfy someone who listens to metal, classical hip hop and jazz. Who wants iems to use in work all day and wants a clear but non fatiguing sound?
Considering these, Sony N1, comets and orvetti new premacy

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #3,107 of 3,265
Would a P1 satisfy someone who listens to metal, classical hip hop and jazz. Who wants iems to use in work all day and wants a clear but non fatiguing sound?
I would say yes, depending on the amp you're using. They are incredibly comfortable and resolving.

Only thing they might not be great at is Hip Hop, although the right tips, amp and perhaps EQ can make them work. But they are not bass monsters, if that's what your expectation is.

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #3,108 of 3,265

I have the P1s as my only IEMs so far, so my experience with IEMs is limited.
However, I have tested them quite a lot, with different tips, different sources (iPad Pro, Cayin N3, HiBy R3, Chord Mojo) and compared with my headphones and my reference 10k Stereo system, which sounds really good and true.

Fully agree with Mouseman, the P1 are no basshead IEMs, but their bass is full and impactful with the right tips. Tips make a BIG difference in terms of balance.
My preferred wips are MandarinEs Symbio W (open, energetic, good & dry bass), Spiral dots (a little smoother and slightly less bass) and foam tips (Full and warm bass, reduced mids & highs)
The source makes a big difference especially in the treble, iPad and HiBy R3 can sound sharp and brittle, Chord Mojo sounds just clear and sparkly.
Overall I like the P1 and think they are a good allround IE which can be tuned to your liking with tips.

However, there's a lot of interest now in the newes DD IEMs with "Diamond Like Carbon" membrane, like the iBasso IT01s ($200), the Kanas ($150) and Kanas Pro ($180), right in the price range of the P!, and supposedly much better than the P1. I have the Kanas Pro coming, will report in this thread about the experiences: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moondrop-in-ear-monitors-impressions-thread.894139/

So short answer: Yes, I think they are good, BUT it seems there might be better alternatives at the same price.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #3,110 of 3,265
The P1's sound amazing from a decent balanced source with an upgraded cable.
What balanced cable do you recommend?

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #3,113 of 3,265
I bought a really nice 8 core balanced cable on Ali that works great for the P1s. You just need to be careful that they don't have a thick plastic sleeve on the plug, or it may not fit. I had another one I got that wouldn't plug in, thankfully it worked with my Fiio buds.

Fiio also has a balanced cable you can get on Amazon, but it's kind of thin and I always worried about durability. It's also plain black, which isn't as nice looking with the P1s as others you can get.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #3,114 of 3,265
What balanced cable do you recommend?

I bought a really nice 8 core balanced cable on Ali that works great for the P1s. You just need to be careful that they don't have a thick plastic sleeve on the plug, or it may not fit. I had another one I got that wouldn't plug in, thankfully it worked with my Fiio buds.

Fiio also has a balanced cable you can get on Amazon, but it's kind of thin and I always worried about durability. It's also plain black, which isn't as nice looking with the P1s as others you can get.

The Fiio LC2.5C https://www.fiio.com/productinfo/39900.html is a major upgrade.
Better soundstage , clarity , separation and micro detail are very easily noticed.
Going back to stock is like muting the earphone.
Source is Q5 balanced and mjolnir 2 balanced with adapter for 2.5.

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #3,115 of 3,265
Buy a cable if you only need to go balance, there no point of wasting money something that work and will sound the same.
If you have a AMP that has a 4.4mm or 2.5mm then yea buy the cable that how you get the best out of the source
My P1 still have the same cable
8996202C.jpg

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #3,116 of 3,265
The Fiio LC2.5C https://www.fiio.com/productinfo/39900.html is a major upgrade.
Better soundstage , clarity , separation and micro detail are very easily noticed.
Going back to stock is like muting the earphone.
Source is Q5 balanced and mjolnir 2 balanced with adapter for 2.5.

While I hear differences between cables going from single ended to balanced mainly reveals differences from your DAC/Amp. In most units it improves power/control and S/N. If your DAC/Amp has balanced out, chances are good that the signal will be better from it.
But there are exceptions, like the Chord products which have better S/N on their single ended output than most any other DAC/Amps on balanced out.

So it really depends on your source.

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #3,118 of 3,265
The P1 cable has measurably high impedance. What you’re hearing is a change in volume. Turn the volume up with the P1 cable (ie properly volume match when comparing) and the differences will go away.

Simple science. Blind volume matched test and you won’t notice a difference.

Jan 6, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #3,120 of 3,265
I also didn't believe in cables, but I had been using my DUNU DN-2002 for a long time everyday. Then I decided to use their upgrade cable and I seriously noticed a difference. I'd been using them for months on stock so I was very accustomed to their sound. But still, I don't really agree with wasting money on cables.

I tried the upgrade cable on the P1s but I couldn't tell the difference... But then again, I use them very rarely that I don't really know their sound all too well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back