MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Aug 19, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #1,818 of 3,265
I just bought the ak jr. I already downloaded a few albums in flac and I'm just too excited to hear them to their potential.
I just haven't bought the ear phones that I plan on using with them. I think I might grab the p1 because I've heard such nice things about them.
I'll use the ak jr as an external dac for my laptop at home, either through the speakers or with my Sony 7509hd. I bought this because I'll be flying around for a little while and wanted quality audio to keep me company.

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #1,822 of 3,265
  For $200 I would look at the Shanling M2 and not the Lootoo.  

I had a chance to listen to the Pinnacle.  Really smooth sound but like some reviews pointed out the bottom octave is simply weaker than I would want at this price point.

How hard did you drive it? It's not bassy, but it isn't weak. It does require some power for the bass to fully fill out though. I think you are right about the Lotoo Paw 5000 probably not being the best match though, it likely just doesn't have enough output.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #1,825 of 3,265

How hard did you drive it? It's not bassy, but it isn't weak. It does require some power for the bass to fully fill out though. I think you are right about the Lotoo Paw 5000 probably not being the best match though, it likely just doesn't have enough output.

Would the ak jr work decent with it?

I'm not sure. Judging by the 1.95 VRMS output level of the AK Jr. compared to my DX50's 3.1 VRMS on high gain, I'm not sure it has enough juice to do it right. I was on high gain all the time on the DX50 with high volume, and it did much better with my Geek Out V2 which throws out 4.0 VRMS. I think you've bought the wrong DAP for the Pinnacle. That doesn't mean you've gotten a bad DAP. You'll probably like it, but it isn't going to get full performance out of the Pinnacle.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #1,826 of 3,265
I'm not sure. Judging by the 1.95 VRMS output level of the AK Jr. compared to my DX50's 3.1 VRMS on high gain, I'm not sure it has enough juice to do it right. I was on high gain all the time on the DX50 with high volume, and it did much better with my Geek Out V2 which throws out 4.0 VRMS. I think you've bought the wrong DAP for the Pinnacle. That doesn't mean you've gotten a bad DAP. You'll probably like it, but it isn't going to get full performance out of the Pinnacle.
What should I look at to pick the right earphone for the jr???

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #1,827 of 3,265

What should I look at to pick the right earphone for the jr???

Headphone impedance at least 8 times output impedance of source (so minimum impedance of 16 ohms). Multi-balanced armature phones often have variable impedance, so there can be distortion in the bass if there is an impedance mismatch. You might like this distortion, I think it is the primary reason people like tubes (I like them too). The best advice is to go have a listen to some stuff. Send me a PM with your listening preferences: type of music, sound signature, and maybe I can help you.

This is the Pinnacle thread, so I'll not be recommending a bunch of stuff that isn't the Pinnacle. Especially since it is my top-rated headphone of the year so far in price to performance.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #1,828 of 3,265

I drove it with three units; the Shanling M2, Shanling M3, and FIIO X3 II.   For my money, I preferred the bass response on my LZ-A2 though I would agree that the mids and high end were very smooth on this unit.  I know its a higher price point; but for me the next stop after the LZ-A2 is the FLC8S.  

I thought this was a mighty fine unit for jazz and classical but I also want to feel it when Phil Lesh hits the bass guitar on 70's dead from a Betty board.

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #1,829 of 3,265
I drove it with three units; the Shanling M2, Shanling M3, and FIIO X3 II.   For my money, I preferred the bass response on my LZ-A2 though I would agree that the mids and high end were very smooth on this unit.  I know its a higher price point; but for me the next stop after the LZ-A2 is the FLC8S.  

I thought this was a mighty fine unit for jazz and classical but I also want to feel it when Phil Lesh hits the bass guitar on 70's dead from a Betty board.
yes flc8s is a mighty iem

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #1,830 of 3,265
My review of the MEE P1 posted - http://www.head-fi.org/products/mee-audio-pinnacle-p1-high-fidelity-audiophile-in-ear-headphones-with-detachable-cables/reviews/16704

Users who are viewing this thread

Back