MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Aug 17, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #1,787 of 3,265
I'm fairly new on this form but reading quite a lot.

Just had a quick question for those of you who have had history with both the p1 and the t20i. Which one do you prefer, specially if you can get either one at the same price.

Also what digital audio players would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #1,788 of 3,265
I'm fairly new on this form but reading quite a lot.

Just had a quick question for those of you who have had history with both the p1 and the t20i. Which one do you prefer, specially if you can get either one at the same price.

Also what digital audio players would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

If you live close to a Apple Retail Store go and check out the T20i, they are in stock. The T20s are easy to drive out of your phone, the P1 will come with more money invested in a DAC/AMP that could easly be another $300

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,790 of 3,265
Quote:
So the p1 wo t sound too nice from my iPhone 6?

The P1 works great with my 6, although I have a few albums of very low volume where I wish I could squeeze out two more notches of volume. If anyone is listening to modern music, streaming, or what seems to be popular for the past 10 years or so - there will be no issues with volume.

... and if you really mean 'sound nice' as in the quality of sound from the iPhone - the P1's sound fantastic with an iPhone. No DAC needed. But as far as amplification goes (volume), it depends on your musical tastes. If you're into mostly older classical recordings that are often quite dynamic but also recorded at a low volume overall, then an amp will be necessary to hear those recordings at a satisfying volume. There are some specific albums as well that are just quiet for some odd reason, like Concrete Blonde's "Bloodletting", and an amp will definitely help there. If you're listening to early Genesis, Yes, Rush, you'll be a-ok. If you're listening to Basement Jaxx, Lady Sovereign, and Imagine Dragons, you'll need to turn the volume down :) . But sound quality-wise, no problems there at all.

And if you decide you want an amp to really pump up that 10% of your collection that needs the extra volume... you can simply drop $70 on a Q1 and be done with the issue :wink:

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,791 of 3,265
So the p1 wo t sound too nice from my iPhone 6?

Not worth it running it straight out of your iPhone,i have a Ipod Touch 6gen .When you put a DAC/AMP the P1 are in a different league with a proper DAC/AMP they sound like $500 earphone but when you go back to the iPhone they sound like $60 and for $60 there better earphone at that price.

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #1,792 of 3,265
Not worth it running it straight out of your iPhone,i have a Ipod Touch 6gen .When you put a DAC/AMP the P1 are in a different league with a proper DAC/AMP they sound like $500 earphone but when you go back to the iPhone they sound like $60 and for $60 there better earphone at that price.
Agreed.A phone could drive it nicely but without an amp you're missing out.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #1,796 of 3,265
The ie8 I believe has a lower impedance so an amp probably isn't necessary.I prefer the p1 over the ie8 personally.
One more question lol
Is the ie80 a decent difference from the ie8,

If you could choose one of the 4 for the iphone6
(Rha t20i, ie8, ie80 or the p1)
Which one would it be.

And would I need an amp if I bought a decent player??
I really am clueless lol

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,797 of 3,265
One more question lol
Is the ie80 a decent difference from the ie8,

If you could choose one of the 4 for the iphone6
(Rha t20i, ie8, ie80 or the p1)
Which one would it be.

And would I need an amp if I bought a decent player??
I really am clueless lol

With the iPhone 6, you would benefit from an amp for headphones with a higher impedance... say, 50Ω... for music or albums that are quieter than most. 65Ω definitely - I have some old Sony MDR-7506's from my recording days that are 63Ω and they definitely need a boost in volume as the iPhone isn't capable of driving those to satisfying levels even with currently produced music. The higher the resistance, the greater power needed to drive them to satisfying volume levels. That's a very simple overview, and leaving aside sensitivity.

A "decent player" (i.e. one that is natively capable of playing HiRes (e.g. FLAC) files) may not have a powerful output section either, so you need to make sure that it can. Often the mfr will give a resistance range that the device should be capable of driving sufficiently.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #1,798 of 3,265
Would I need an amp for the ie8
I can get a new one of those for the same price as the p1 or rha t20i
I heard very good things about the ie8, it's not the ie8i but for $170 it might be a great deal to go with

i used to have IE8s quite a few years a go now, not on the same level as the P1 at all. ignore P1s price its worth much more.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #1,800 of 3,265
no dont worry about that you dont need an amp but you will want one eventually to bring out the last 20% of the P1

also the amp doesnt need to be expensive as iv mentioned before matching is more important. you could try something like Topping NX5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back