MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Aug 13, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #1,772 of 3,265
Just got these today. Some quick initial impressions...

Presentation
Fantastic, especially coming from a company like Mee - they didn't have the best reputation on this front before. They're packaged well, and the wires aren't wrapped in an annoying fashion (RHA does this terribly). No complaints.

Build
Outstanding. The cables seem solid (and quite heavy!), and the IEMs are super-solid. The plug is L-shaped, which is awesome for pockets. I'm a bit worried about the lack of strain reliefs - RHA's spring coil, or AT's plastic thing set my mind at ease a bit more. I'm using the silver cables. A quick note about RHA cables - they seem sturdy, but I've had multiple cables break on me. Either the insulation would break, or the memory wire broke, or some crazy thing would happen. A replaceable cable would work wonders for them, and I'm glad the P1s went with this.

Ergonomics
The shape is lower profile than the RHA T20s and the ATH-IM70s (my previous two IEMs). They weigh more than the IM70s, but are lighter than the T20s. This is a good thing - the IM70s seemed delicate, and the T20s were annoyingly heavy and ended up hurting after a while. The cable isn't the most flexible thing in the world, though. It doesn't seem to get tangled as easily as others. I semi-wish they had a memory wire because the weight doesn't quite seem to distribute correctly, although a memory wire does seem to make things more delicate.

Sound

Power requirements
An iPhone or Macbook Pro will do fine. The iPhone needs to be at around 50-60%, and the Macbook needs around 4-5 notches. I didn't detect any weird factors, so I don't think they're source-dependent. I also tried them out of a Vali 2 amp, and the volume knob is at 9:30, low gain. Any higher is too high for me. No hissing or scratching can be heard. The low sensitivity and high-ish impedance (especially for IEMs) is a benefit here. I'm assuming, therefore, that any smartphone should work well, provided smartphone maker didn't half-ass something.

Bass
Bass-light, but as others have said, they do still have a good amount. I find that the bass on the T20 (reference filters) is too strong (and yes, I've heard the T10s as well - the bass on the T10s was unlistenable). Compared to the IM70s, which had surprisingly strong, but controlled bass, the P1s are even weaker. Again, this isn't to say that there is no bass - it's there when you need it, but only just. I'm not detecting any bloat or bleed into the midrange, and this is a good thing. Like the IM70s, the bass on the P1s is well defined. A bass guitar doesn't sound anything like a kick drum, for example.

Mid/Treble
I generally don't separate the mids and treble - they're a package deal in my mind. Voices and sound effects sound realistic (clapping sounds like clapping, dudes sound like dudes, gals sound like gals). Cymbals sound like cymbals, and not a random splash of treble. I think this is where people are getting impressions of warmth - The mids have a good amount of weight, and the treble isn't super peaky. The T20s had a slightly annoying peak to them, and the IM70s were slightly rolled off. The P1s don't seem to suffer from either problem.

Soundstage
Quite good. I can place instruments and voices easily, and there's no congestion going on. The T20s and IM70s had pretty good soundstage as well, though, so the P1s aren't really different in that regard.

Overall
I like these! They're quite versatile, and have no outstanding issues. Mee seems to have thought of everything, and while the bass could use a bit of a boost, that can be easily remedied (I EQ'd the 32hz band a 2.5 db, and raised the high mids a bit).

Glad you like them. They are quite special, and are a wonderful foray for MEE into the "mid-fi" range; regardless of what others put on this thread to "replace them" in the future. Just a fantastic piece of kit.

Good luck with them!

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #1,774 of 3,265
id say they are at weird middle ground between mid fi and high end

I would agree, they play to a much higher level than their price indicates. And they do it very well. I'm glad that they do, too!

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #1,776 of 3,265
If I have a phone with slightly greater power output (like an HTC 10 or Zte axon7) is it possible to drive the pinnacle sufficiently well or do they really require an amp?

You will be fine. An amp is not needed.

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #1,777 of 3,265
i use my Note3 with P1 with great success. The Note3 has a decent Yamaha opamp, but id say most phones can drive p1 sufficiently with just a bit more increase in volume than you normally use. Also, as ive stated before, using a good music player app helps. PowerAmp features a Pre-amp slider to give u a little boost. And even if you dont "believe" in EQing, you can use EQ settings (slide all levels equally up a bit) for more dB's.

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #1,779 of 3,265
I'm happy with the P1 through my iphone 6+.  I do have to push the volume higher than for other headphones.
It is a little bass-light, especially at lower volumes, but I'm using the EQ in the Onkyo app for a small bass boost and it is working very nicely for me.

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #1,780 of 3,265
  I'm happy with the P1 through my iphone 6+.  I do have to push the volume higher than for other headphones.
It is a little bass-light, especially at lower volumes, but I'm using the EQ in the Onkyo app for a small bass boost and it is working very nicely for me.

Agreed - the P1 works great with my 6, although I have a few albums of very low volume where I wish I could squeeze out two more notches of volume. If anyone is listening to modern music, streaming, or what seems to be popular for the past 10 years or so - there will be no issues with volume.

I do want to make a quick side note - I received the Simgot EN700 today and already boxed it up for return. Tried it with a dozen tips and compared it with the P1... not even close. The treble is peakier than the P1's while being less detailed, they are somewhat shockingly less warm with very dry mids, there is less bass and less defined bass, and the soundstage & depth is like watching a movie on an iPad if the P1 is an IMAX.

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #1,781 of 3,265
Agreed - the P1 works great with my 6, although I have a few albums of very low volume where I wish I could squeeze out two more notches of volume. If anyone is listening to modern music, streaming, or what seems to be popular for the past 10 years or so - there will be no issues with volume.

I do want to make a quick side note - I received the Simgot EN700 today and already boxed it up for return. Tried it with a dozen tips and compared it with the P1... not even close. The treble is peakier than the P1's while being less detailed, they are somewhat shockingly less warm with very dry mids, there is less bass and less defined bass, and the soundstage & depth is like watching a movie on an iPad if the P1 is an IMAX.

Even the IE800 dont have the magical 3D soundtsage the pinnacle has, but they do have the edge in clarity as they should for £650.

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #1,784 of 3,265
I remember reading here about the Nexus 6P and the Pinnacle P1 and how they did not match.  
I'm having the same experience - strange noises coming through the in ears.

Can anyone else comment?

Many thanks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back