MDR-V6/7506 impressions
Apr 19, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #32 of 56
Hey! I was wondering where I can buy Sony V6's Online! I live in BC, Canada so I need international shipping and also somewhere that is cheap
wink.gif
. Thank a lot!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #34 of 56
Use the search function on "buy V6 Canada".

Apr 20, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #37 of 56
A couple of issues that I have... You can either choose to embrace, or discredit them as you see fit...

Burn-In, this pair of V6 were with JMT for the first two months of their lives, but i'm sure that using my EJ1000 with them pretty much non-stop for the past two weeks has done something to their midrange... now, using the JMT rather than the EJ1000 headphone out, these have a much more pronounced midrange than they had on first inspection, far moreso than my Grado SR-125s...

Whether that be in my head or what is up to you to decide, but - why should they sound different when compared to 'phones used on the original comparison??

and, the overall tone, I just A/Bd them against my Senn HD580s, and they (the Senns) sounded really coloured and lifeless... there was no bass-weight at all... the mids appeared really lumpy and treble extension? whats that?

So - my points...

Burn-in, if it really is a phenomenon, have I whilst playing excess mids from my EJ1000 (which is acredited for being a rich sounding player) forced my V6 into a life of actually MAKING midrange, rather than keeping it hidden?

and.. why is it that the HD580s sound so poor now? - Is my XCan V2 really so poor a partner that i've been fooling myself for the past year anyway?

am I condemned to wear the head-fi dunce cap for like the sound of the V6 significantly more than the more expensive HD580s???

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
Confused thread? In the index it says the thread starter is Jude.. Yet it's MacDEF's thread. What the hayil?
rolleyes.gif

Yah, I was like 'cool, Jude reviews the V6, never saw that before'--huh??
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 21, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Duncan said...

Burn-in, if it really is a phenomenon, have I whilst playing excess mids from my EJ1000 (which is acredited for being a rich sounding player) forced my V6 into a life of actually MAKING midrange, rather than keeping it hidden?

Yup, the V6 is a great match w/ warm equipment. Unfortunately, burn-in isn't the cause of the newly-found midrange. I'd be awfully surprised if you now hooked it up to a cold-sounding source and still got that same great midrange.

Apr 21, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #40 of 56
The last few posts have touched on a great point. Matching cans with sources is way UNDER-appreciated IMHO. When people post that this can or that can is bright/laid-back/etc., I would be very interested in knowing what they are listening to. If these statements are made on the basis of a/b/ comparo's using the same source, then they have some merit. Certainly some cans are relatively brighter than others. On the other hand, comparing cans based upon a history of listening to them at different times from different sources I consider to be much less reliable info. Different sources and the human audio memory add much variability. This is the main reason I hate to buy audio equip, esp. cans or speakers, without hearing them for myself using known sources.
Regarding the V6/7506, my decade-old unmoded V6 via a JMT amp is currently my fav combo for listening to iTunes on my Mac while doing computing work. I find that that warm source (the computer, not the JMT amp) with the "analytical" V6 yields a pleasing sound. OTOH- I have a rather bright RCA PCDP which makes the V6 sound somewhat like fingernails on a blackboard, and I much prefer Grado's from my home audio set-up (including when using the same JMT amp).

Jon

Apr 21, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #41 of 56
i've said it before, but if you really want to hear what the v6 was made for, hook them up to a good amp and a great analog source.

Apr 21, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

i've said it before, but if you really want to hear what the v6 was made for, hook them up to a good amp and a great analog source.

... And that is why they have stickers on them that clearly say "FOR DIGITAL", right?
rolleyes.gif

I do know what you mean, though. They definitely sound best out of a warm source.

Apr 22, 2002 at 12:18 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
... And that is why they have stickers on them that clearly say "FOR DIGITAL", right?
rolleyes.gif

I do know what you mean, though. They definitely sound best out of a warm source.

But doesn't EVERY model of Sony headphone say that so that the poor dumb consumer is sure he is getting something that will work with his cd player?
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by bakhtiar
...this kind of cans are usually used for sound monitoring, because it does not add some colours/sound to the original sources...

Are there any other really accurate headphones that are used for monitoring?

Jan 3, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I guess the best praise for these headphones is that, as Mike Walker has said, no one area of the phones jumps out at you -- there is no obvious bump in the treble or midrange, there is no boomy or emphasized bass

Don't mean to flame an old thread, it's just that I recently purchased the 7506 and wanted to comment in the context of the other posts. I do believe that there is an obvious treble emphasis that exaggerates tape hiss and the like. I have used dozens of headphones and the 7506 is definitely highlighting this particular part of the spectrum. The bass is rock solid, not calling attention to itself, merely providing a great foundation for everything else.

And no, nothing jumps out, but the upper bass/lower midrange is sure jumping back! The response is far from flat. But the 7506 does portray a good simulation of a pair of large loudspeakers like Thiels or Vandersteens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back