MDR-V6/7506 impressions
Jul 10, 2001 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
I am the proud new owner of Flumpus' famous Sony MDR-V6/MDR-7506. For those who don't remember the HeadWize discussion, these are the famous "hybrid" specimens that came, out of the box, with a left driver/enclosure that says "MDR-V6" and a right one that says "MDR-7506" -- leaving no doubt that the two headphones are indeed identical
wink.gif

Anyways, I've been using them for a couple days with a variety of sources. They have the Beyer pads on them (I had previously ordered a pair, so the first thing I did after receiving them from Flumpus was switch the pads out). The Beyer pads are indeed much more comfortable, and they do block more external sound than the stock pads.

These are very comfortable cans. They completely cover my ears, but my ears have yet to feel hot or sweaty (the velour Beyer pads probably help with this). They aren't featherweight, but I've had them on all day and they are still comfortable. They also block out a substantial amount of noise (again, I think the Beyer pads help in this respect -- they allow the cans to completely cover my ears).

OK, the sound. Keep in mind that this is my *first* set of "closed" full-size headphones. If you look at my profile, I've owned Ety's, but all of my other cans have been open. So some of my comments below might just be me commenting on the sound of closed headphones.

I listened to the V6/7506 out of the following sources:
NAD CDP/X-CANv2
Yamaha @PET computer receiver (gaming)
Sony MZ-E900 MD player
Apple iBook 2001 (MP3's/DVD)
Radio Shack 3400 portable CDP
Sony portable radio
JVC FS-1000 microsystem

My main points of reference (i.e., those phones I listen to most often):
Senn HD600
Grado SR60
Koss KSC-35 and 50

I listened to a bunch of stuff, but a few choice CD samples:
Nick Drake: Way To Blue
David Byrne: Rei Momo
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons (Salerno-Sonnenberg)
Peter Gabrial: Passion
This Mortal Coil: Blood
Cowboy Junkies: Trinity Sessions

When I first listened to the Sony's, I was very disappointed. They just sounded cold and, well, flat. Out of my NAD/X-CANv2 system, they were just plain bad to my ears. I could tell I was spoiled with my 600s -- there was simply no comparison. The 600s had better everything. Out of my computer rig, the Sony's had a narrower soundstage and less "impact" and warmth than the Grados (I wasn't surprised by the difference in warmth, given the rep Grados have in that area, but I was surprised by the bass, since the Sony's have a rep for strong bass, and Grados aren't known for excessive bass). On the portables (CD, MD, iBook, radio), the Koss KSC-35 and 50 just seemed to be warmer and less prone to causing fatigue.

That was my initial reaction. After about six hours of listening last night, I softened a bit to their sound, but I wasn't convinced they deserved all the praise they receive. The Sony's definitely had a good deal of clarity, but they sounded almost sterile -- I just couldn't get excited about them. And the X-CANv2 didn't really do much to improve on them, other than giving them a bit better bass response (which is to be expected). On the other hand, they were clearly a cut above most headphones for under $100 (faint praise, I know).

I figured it wasn't fair to evaluate them after one night of use, so I brought them to work, and I've been listening to them all day (6 hours now) with the JVC system, MD, and PCD. One thing I've concluded: I thought that the sterility of the Sony's would be fatiguing, but it actually isn't. It's becoming clear that the headphones are simply very, well, clear.

For example, when listening to the Nick Drake CD, which is well-recorded and has a lot of acoustic guitar, the individual plucks of the strings are much more noticeable on the Sony's than on my HD600s. You can definitely hear them on the HD600s -- the 600s are very detailed and clear cans -- but you're more engrossed by the music as a whole. On the Sony's, you *notice* every pluck of the guitar string. Maybe "analytical" is a good word for them.

I guess the best praise for these headphones is that, as Mike Walker has said, no one area of the phones jumps out at you -- there is no obvious bump in the treble or midrange, there is no boomy or emphasized bass. In fact, I was surprised at the way the Sony's present bass. It's clearly there, but it's so un-boomy that you almost miss it (this includes the mid/upper bass). As an extreme example, I turned on the local hiphop station -- full of music that has been compressed for FM with emphasized mid/upper bass (some of which I like, don't get me wrong
wink.gif
). This was the first time I actually "noticed" the bass on these cans. I think this may be a drawback for many people considering the V6 for portable use, since bass (and often excessive bass) is important to a lot of portable users.

On another note, people often recommend the V6 as a "gaming" headphone. I'm not sure if I would agree with this recommendation. When using the Sony's as a gaming headphone on my computer, they simply didn't have the soundstage of the Grados, let alone the Senns (bad for games where spacial/directional cues are vital), nor did they provide the "impact" the Grado's provided when it came to explosions, engines, and the like.

Re-reading the above, it looks like I'm not a big fan of these phones. That's probably not too fair. The longer I listen to them, the better they sound -- which means, to me, that they are more accurate than they are colored. They aren't as "exciting" as my Grados, nor are they as lush and overwhelmingly enjoyable as my HD600s; however, I'm now going on 6.5 hours straight, and they're still comfortable and they aren't giving me a headache
wink.gif
They are also easily driven by the built-in amps on all of my equipment. They block a lot more external noise (especially with the Beyer pads) than I expected, and I like they way they fold -- not small, but the smallest "full size" cans I've used. I would say that despite my criticisms, they are a good all-around headphone that may not do any one thing exceptionally well, but do a lot of things satisfactorily.

Sorry if this was a bit rambling -- I was trying to write down all my reactions quickly. I am at work, you know
wink.gif
And, again, remember that this is my first set of closed cans, so some of what I wrote above could be simply par for the course for a closed headphone.

Jul 10, 2001 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 56
Great review MacDEF.

I think you will find that they get better the more you listen to them. I too prefer the sound of open phones most of the time, but when you don't want to bother the neighbours, or for portability and price, they're hard to beat.

Jul 11, 2001 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 56
Hello, do you think you could test the accuracy of the inside the head stereo positioning using A3D in games, with all of your phones? Supposedly, Grado's arent that great, and, supposedly, closed phones are good at it. Could you tell us which one lets you know *exactly* where that guy shooting at you is? Thanks!!

Jul 11, 2001 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 56
MACDEF

Quote:

When I first listened to the Sony's, I was very disappointed. They just sounded cold and, well, flat.

That why this kind of cans are usually used for sound monitoring, because it does not add some colours/sound to the original sources...

Almost all recording studio in Japan use Sonys, such as MDR-CD900, MDR-CD900ST, MDR-Z900 which are their standard headphones, like Yamaha NS-10 series for near field monitoring speakers.

I hope you can try MDR-CD3000 to see the differences.....

Thanks for the good reviews...

Jul 11, 2001 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 56
MDR-CD900ST.jpg

This is Sony MDR-CD900ST, minor upgrade version of MDR-CD900

and

MDR-Z900.jpg

this is Sony MDR-Z900

I also had CD-999 before, and like other monitor headphones, it sounds FLAT and have smaller sound-stage than CD-3000.

Jul 11, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 56
Umm... other than the little silver ring on the earcups, the CD900ST looks pretty much identical to the MDR-V6... (And I'm guessing that's one of the differences between 900 and 900ST..)

Jul 11, 2001 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Umm... other than the little silver ring on the earcups, the CD900ST looks pretty much identical to the MDR-V6... (And I'm guessing that's one of the differences between 900 and 900ST..)

fiddler,

I was going to point out that very same thing. I'd be willing to bet that they're (other than that ring) identical to the MDR-7506/V6's. They've done the same thing with some of their portable CD players. The Sony D-7 that I owned so many years ago (it was the second model of portable CD player available here in the States) was called something else entirely in Japan.

Jul 11, 2001 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Where do you get the Beyer pads that fit the Sonys?

Kurt, I found out about them here -- I called Beyer and ordered them direct. They are the velour pads for the Beyer 250s, and they were $18.50 plus shipping.

Quote:

Hello, do you think you could test the accuracy of the inside the head stereo positioning using A3D in games, with all of your phones? Supposedly, Grado's arent that great, and, supposedly, closed phones are good at it. Could you tell us which one lets you know *exactly* where that guy shooting at you is? Thanks!!

Gluegun, I'll have to try that tomorrow. Although I've heard the opposite -- that open phones have better imaging.

Quote:

That why this kind of cans are usually used for sound monitoring, because it does not add some colours/sound to the original sources...

bakhtiar, yes, I understand that, but I didn't mean "flat" in the "accurate" sense
wink.gif
I meant flat as in "lifeless" -- that was my initial impression. Headphones can be flat/accurate, yet still lively -- after all, the music had life when it was recorded
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2001 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 56
Jul 11, 2001 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

can anyone recomend a phone that has huge bass,but yet retain the clarity of the sony v6?

From privious discussions on the Sony V6/7506, I had the impression that these phones delivered very deep bass. I'm a little worried now because I just ordered a pair of 7506's based on this discription. They'll probably get here in a few days. I hope they don't turn out to be just "satisfactory". I'll post my opinion after they break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back