MDR-V6/7506 impressions
Jan 3, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Don't mean to flame an old thread, it's just that I recently purchased the 7506 and wanted to comment in the context of the other posts. I do believe that there is an obvious treble emphasis that exaggerates tape hiss and the like. I have used dozens of headphones and the 7506 is definitely highlighting this particular part of the spectrum. The bass is rock solid, not calling attention to itself, merely providing a great foundation for everything else.

Really sounds like a pair of phones to monitor with, not to enjoy music with--I'd say it fulfilled its intended application well enough
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

And no, nothing jumps out, but the upper bass/lower midrange is sure jumping back! The response is far from flat. But the 7506 does portray a good simulation of a pair of large loudspeakers like Thiels or Vandersteens.

You mean in terms of soundstage or in terms of frequency response?
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 3, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #47 of 56
The V6 actually sound very peaky, yet at the same time lacking in the treble, compared to high end Senns...

But, as Joe says ~ They more than likely do their job... in the recording studio
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #48 of 56
Puts the V700/V6 debate in a new perspective--which phone would you recommend to someone looking for phones to enjoy music with? A DJ's phones? A studio engineer's phones?

Seems like the correct answer should be 'neither'
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 3, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
You mean in terms of soundstage or in terms of frequency response?
confused.gif

Neither. In terms of fullness and 'solidity'.

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Puts the V700/V6 debate in a new perspective--which phone would you recommend to someone looking for phones to enjoy music with? A DJ's phones? A studio engineer's phones?

Seems like the correct answer should be 'neither'
tongue.gif

And is this for the same reason that studios use near field monitors with frequency response/aberrations (Yamaha NS-10), so the end result is a horrible sounding recording that sounds 'great' on a lousy system? Why not have everyone use 'accurate' headphones so they can actually tell what's really going down? Or is bad sound a necessary pre-requisite for some music?

I guess my question is, why use an inaccurate headphone for anything?

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

I guess my question is, why use an inaccurate headphone for anything?

Because... 'Accurate' would sound flat, and lifeless...

ALL headphones have colorations... its just a matter of which coloration you prefer / can live with

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Because... 'Accurate' would sound flat, and lifeless...

ALL headphones have colorations... its just a matter of which coloration you prefer / can live with

OK, let me 'rephrase' that. Why would anyone use a "deliberately" inaccurate headphone/speaker for recording/monitoring?

And if accurate is 'flat and lifeless', then how do you know if your recording is flat and lifeless if using a monitor that makes it sound 'better' than it actually is?

And another thing, if the V6 and 7506 are the same headphone sonically, I guess the V6 is not 'doing it's job', right? How can two identical headphones each be a monitor and a hi-fi headphone?

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

OK, let me 'rephrase' that. Why would anyone use a "deliberately" inaccurate headphone/speaker for recording/monitoring?

Because of the way it'll be played back? Perhaps the 7506 provides the best compromise between studio accuracy and the way it'll be played back in 'real life'.

Jan 3, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Because of the way it'll be played back? Perhaps the 7506 provides the best compromise between studio accuracy and the way it'll be played back in 'real life'.

So you basically admit that recordings are mixed to sound good on compromised (read: bad) equipment? If that is indeed the case, then perhaps it is rather pointless in seeking out the best headphones to listen to music with? Seriously, I've heard stuff that sounds great on boomboxes and terrible on state of the art gear. It doesn't have to be that way. Do recording engineers still get to use their ears, or is it all measurements now?

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #55 of 56
I just got my V6's today, and I am a bit disturbed with how the tops of the highs get cut off. It just sounds a bit hissy. The truth is though, that I have only tried one cd all day. Ill try some other stuff and post more impressions.

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #56 of 56
maybe you could post further impressions in a new thread instead of allowing one almost 3 years old to resurface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back