MDR-V4 parts still avail.?
Apr 13, 2002 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Megadeus

New Head-Fier
I have an old pair of Sony MDR-V4 cans with the infamous V6-like deteriorating earpads. Does anyone happen to know what the part number for replacement earpads would be or even if they're still available?

I think the pads off an MDR-7502 might fit them too, since the earcups appear similar my MDR-V4 in the pictures I've seen. Both use 30mm drivers.

Apr 13, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 12
hi,
I hope this phone number will help you out. I called them for parts of my earphone and they did an excellent job. Some part might have to be ordered straight from Japan and take months. But if you love your V4 so much, give it a try.
Phone number is 1800-488-7669. happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
hi,
I hope this phone number will help you out. I called them for parts of my earphone and they did an excellent job. Some part might have to be ordered straight from Japan and take months. But if you love your V4 so much, give it a try.
Phone number is 1800-488-7669. happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the phone # purk. I guess I'll call them up Monday and see what they say.

As for my V4's, I guess I wouldn't call it love, but more sentimental value since they were the first decent headphones I ever got. It's been so long since I've listened to them that I can't remember exactly how they sound. All I do remember is that they had a pretty powerful sound and surprising isolation for a small supra-aural can. Plus the rated freq. response on them kicks the crap out the MDR-7502's (10-25k Hz vs 60-16k Hz).
cool.gif

Apr 15, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Driftwood
you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the MDR-V4 laying around, would you? anyone?

or the MDR-v5 for that matter...

Driftwood

Sorry, I don't have any pics of my V4's I could put up. Couldn't find any when searching Google either.

Basically, the V4 looks just like a slightly smaller version of my V6, seems a bit lighter too. The storage bag for the V4 is smaller than the V6's.

Foldable just like the V6, black headband with "Digital Monitor" printed on it instead of "Studio Monitor" printed on the V6 (the V4's headband has a seam on the bottom where it sits on your head and no real padding), exact same coiled cord, same self-destructing leather-like earpad material.
frown.gif

Earcups are smaller and round on the V4, not ovalish like the V6. The earcups have seven rows of very small holes on the back of them, what they do I'm not sure since the V4's are supposed to be closed cans.

Hope this helps.

Apr 16, 2002 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 12
In case anyone is still interested in this thread...

I didn't get a chance to call Sony today, but while using Google, I found a site called Partsearch Direct which let's you search for part numbers for diff. manufacturers products, including Sony.

Told it to search for Sony and MDR-V4 and, surprisingly, it pulled up what appeared to be nearly all the part numbers for those cans, including the earpads. Checked the part number availability with Sony's part site and they were available for $4.95 each vs. $7 listed on Partsearch Direct.
confused.gif

Ordered them from Sony, hopefully they'll be the correct ones.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 12
Sorry for the old bump but I have pictures and thanks for posting the freq. response for them because I can't find jack on them.

I remember listening to these things when I was 5 lol.

DSC_0932.jpg

DSC_0931.jpg

DSC_0930.jpg

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 12
Fossil ahoy!

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 12
I just scored a free pair of Sony MDR-V5's. Does anyone know the specs or when they were produced or anything at all about these? They sound pretty good but do need new earpads badly!

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 12
The earpads in the V-series seem to be a standard size. I recently purchased working replacements for my MDR-V300 and discovered that they also fit my old MDR-V4's. They were listed as compatible with MDR-V100, V150, V250 and V300 and were 2 pairs for $5.99 online. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back