MDR-7506 / MDR-V6 -- Have Them Both. Are They The Same?
Jun 27, 2001 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17
Okay, okay....this really wan't much of a mystery anymore. But just to confirm: they're the same headphones.

I now own them both. I assumed they were the same going into this. The only differences? MDR-7506's say "MDR-7506" on each earpiece instead of "MDR-V6." MDR-7506's come with blue stickers that say "Professional" on them -- V6's come with red stickers that said something like "Digital Ready" (I can't remember exactly what they said, as I took them off a while ago). MDR-7506 has what looks like a black anodized metal housing leading to a gold-plated mini plug with a gold 1/4" adapter. The MDR-V6 has a silver-colored anodized metal housing (otherwise exactly the same shape as the 7506's) leading to a silver/chrome-colored mini plug with a silver/chrome-colored 1/4" adapter. Also, the MDR-7506's come with an expoded parts diagram (if any of you with V6's is looking for replacement part numbers, let me know, and I may be able to help).

I slapped my extra pair of Beyer velour pads on the 7506's and gave both a listen. They are indeed the exact same pair of headphones (other than the differences already noted). Here's an interesting thing though -- there are slight but noticeable differences in sound, but I attribute this as likely being break-in effect (the V6's have seen a lot of hours of use). And, yes, I prefer the V6's at this time because of that break-in. I'd be willing to bet that the 7506's will sound exactly like the V6's at some point (assuming breaking in levels off with both at some point, which I expect).

Same phenomenal and absolutely unmatched deep deep bass (that I've heard so far from headphones). I've got very good hearing going into the upper registers, and I'm still puzzled by those who consider the V6/7506's overly bright, as I find the overall sound to be on the warmer side. Admittedly, the treble isn't as refined as with my Sennheiser HD-600's (actually, overall the sound isn't quite as refined as the HD-600's), but it doesn't strike me as harsh at all.

The V6/7506 still remains one of my very favorite pairs of headphones -- a 15+ year sonic love affair. Two pairs of these and two pairs of HD-600's, and I've got what, to me right now, is a darned near perfect set o'cans for the music I listen to -- one set of both, each, at home and at the office.

As expected, the HD-600's can be found on my ears when my system is cranking out most jazz or classical. And the V6/7506's can be found covering my ears when rock, pop, or any very bass-demanding music (even classical or jazz) is playing.

Thus endeth the mystery that wasn't really a mystery anymore anyway.

NOTE: If you're interested in buying the MDR-V6/MDR-7506, try to find the V6's first (in my opinion). Why? Because it's the same headphone as the 7506, only it's usually sold for $10.00 to $20.00 less. I think I paid $69.95 plus shipping for my V6's. And I paid $89.95 + 6% sales tax for the 7506's (which I now know for sure is $10.00 to $20.00 too much).

Jun 27, 2001 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

MDR-7506 has what looks like a black anodized metal housing leading to a gold-plated mini plug with a gold 1/4" adapter. The MDR-V6 has a silver-colored anodized metal housing

Strange.............both pairs of my V6s have a black housing. I purchased them about 10 years ago.

Jun 27, 2001 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 17
My V6's are also black, no red decals. Just white lettering, SONY in big letters and DYNAMIC STEREO HEADPHONES beneath that in smaller letters and then MDR-V6 beneath that. The edge of the head band has plastic inserts with L and R imprinted. The right insert is red and the left is blue. I purchased these used so I do not know how old they are.

Jun 27, 2001 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 17
Multiple Responses:

joelongwood: The housing I'm referring to is just the little part aft of the plug (that plugs into the amp). The little part you grasp with your fingers to plug the headphones in. On the 7506 I have, it's black. On the V6, it's silver.

morphsci: Both the actual headphones part of the 7506 and V6 are black. The red decals that came on the V6 (and the blue ones that come on the 7506) are removable, and the previous owners of your V6's likely removed them (they come off very easily).

Jun 27, 2001 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 17
and they look really cool without 'em
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 17
And, by the way, any of you considering the MDR-V6/MDR-7506 should also plan on calling Beyerdynamic and ordering the velour replacement earpads for the DT-250. They fit perfectly, are infinitely more comfortable than the pleather, form a better seal, and even sound better.

Jun 27, 2001 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by J-5
Could someone please post pics of the V6's or 7506?

Sure. Here's a nice one of the MDR-7506 (the V6 looks exactly like it, but its plug isn't gold-plated like the 7506's):

By the way, the stickers on the earpieces that say "Professional" are very easily removable.
307264-front-large.jpg

Jun 27, 2001 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 17
jude, I did recently see an MDR-V6 at a small electronics store on Chicago's North Side. I recently asked how much it cost - and the salesman said "$119.95"! What? I paid $109.99 for my MDR-7506 somewhere else!
mad.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 17
Sorry for being OT, but - which is better for jazz - the SR80 or the V6? Thanx in advance....

Jun 27, 2001 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 17
I have the V6 which I purchased a few years ago and they're still going strong. I replaced the earpads because the olds ones fell apart. Other than that there's nothing that's gone wrong with them. I still have yet to hear a better closed headphone for the money. I use them everyday on the train on my daily commute. Where can I get Beyer earpads to try?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
Sorry for being OT, but - which is better for jazz - the SR80 or the V6? Thanx in advance....

This should have been the first topic of a new thread.
redface.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 17
I just want to second Jude's comment about using the velour pad from Beyerdynamic. Much more comfortable than the stock pleather pad. I can't really say I noticed any improvement in sound but I certainly did not notice any degradation. Well worth the cost ($17 + $6 S/H). You can order them directly from Beyerdynamic (phone 631-293-3200), make sure you ask for the velour pads (Stock # 442.704).

Jun 27, 2001 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 17
I used to own the SR-80's. Also great headphones for the money. And my brother still has SR-80's. I guess my answer'd be that the SR-80's would be preferable (to my ears) for most jazz. They're open phones, and convey the "space" of the performance better. Soundstage isn't one of the V6's strong points.

Still, I find myself using the V6's for jazz more often than the above statements might indicate -- the impact and attack of stand-up bass with the V6's provides quite the "being there" experience.

Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij

Users who are viewing this thread

Back