1. capable of up to 24bits/192kHz
2. USB input can be synchronous or asynchronous
3. BNC input
4. Price:)

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #19 of 148

Quote:
Link to product for sale

http://aloaudio.com/stockholm-dac-from-mhdt-labs.html

My brain is boggling. I'm so used to looking at the innards of my Havana ... and then, to look at this (well, "gaze upon this" is most likely the more reverential term I'm striving for but...) is queerly disorienting.

Anywho... 

I'm most likely going to have to have one.

(be still my beating heart)

:wink:

.j

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #20 of 148

Quote:

Who uses BNC input?  I think connecting my laserdisc player from the 90's to a $1000 DAC is a bit of overkill.

anybody who wants their 75ohms spdif input to actually be 75ohms

any serious diyer, any serious manufacturer and basically anyone who isnt lying through their teeth  that claims to have a properly engineered coax input uses bnc. and not just old stuff, any hitech coaxial data transfer is bnc also, often 50ohms variety. RCA is just used for consumer level stuff for people who dont care of know about digital signal integrity

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #22 of 148
Why is the new name "Stockholm"?! Is it going to be cold sounding?:wink:

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #23 of 148

Quote:
Quote:

Who uses BNC input?  I think connecting my laserdisc player from the 90's to a $1000 DAC is a bit of overkill.

anybody who wants their 75ohms spdif input to actually be 75ohms

any serious diyer, any serious manufacturer and basically anyone who isnt lying through their teeth  that claims to have a properly engineered coax input uses bnc. and not just old stuff, any hitech coaxial data transfer is bnc also, often 50ohms variety. RCA is just used for consumer level stuff for people who dont care of know about digital signal integrity

Interesting, ok... and well, thanks for letting me know.

BTW, I found the DIY DAC I was looking for, and already received it and built it, and saved a lot of money in the process too, if you remember me from the O2 thread.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #24 of 148
What is MDHT return/refund policy? If I don't like it, will I be able to return it?

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #26 of 148

Quote:
Why is the new name "Stockholm"?! Is it going to be cold sounding?
wink.gif

The amp will take care of that, it's called syndrome.

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #27 of 148
>The amp will take care of that, it's called syndrome.

Hopefully it will happen, otherwise...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #28 of 148

Quote:

Interesting, ok... and well, thanks for letting me know.

BTW, I found the DIY DAC I was looking for, and already received it and built it, and saved a lot of money in the process too, if you remember me from the O2 thread.

no problem, its lesser known, but once you are looking for it you will notice its on just about anything that does spdif correctly. RCA although a couple of companies claim to have 75ohms RCA connectors seem fishy, the size, shape and proportions of the connector, cables and sockets just arent right to allow this.

saved a lot of money compared to what? do you count your time? did you use a plain case? I do remember, but i just doubt that if you count everything and then compare to a similar unit fully finished on ebay, i doubt very much you saved money, some things you save some depending on how much equipment you already have, how much you value your time, how much you care about casework etc etc.

what kit did you build? 

its definitely a worthwhile thing to do, but saving money isnt really up there as far as reasons to do it, having fun, getting just what you want and nothing more, learning something and the value of achievement gained from building something you will get joy from is worth much more imo

Oct 2, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #29 of 148

I see your point.

Yes I think DIY DAC's are perhaps primarilly for fun and new skills, and not exactly cheap, but let's just say hypothetically for someone in a student-fi situation where they don't value their time and don't care about a casing, I think there may be money to be saved, unless you can point me to a cheap Sabre DAC, something I failed to find... :p

I will keep the BNC thing in mind... better than silver RCA cables right?

Oct 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #30 of 148
Has anybody ordered the new DAC already?
...impatiently waiting for the first impressions as I want to choose between Havana and Stockholm:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back