Mcintosh MVP881 rebadged/modded Denon DVD-A1UDCI?
Feb 9, 2010 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

SB

Mcintosh and their dealers have said that the MVP881 has no connection to the denon DVD-A1UDCI but the pictures and specs prove otherwise.

mvp888-back-l.jpg

Here is the back of the MVP881.

DVDA1UDCI_Large_Back.jpg

Here is the back of the DVD-A1UDCI.

We know that they units use the same digital, video, DSP's, DAC's as the denon so when used as a HDMI player it will be 100% the same. What "changes" mcintosh has made to the power/analog sections remain unkown.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 37
D&M holdings owns Denon, Marantz, McIntosh, Boston, Snell, and Escient
among other companies. One would expect that most if not all of the insides
are the same.

Feb 9, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the difference in price?

$3500

This is so funny. It's a stupidity tax,more or less.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 37
Yes it is a Denon in a Mac body. And as Kevin pointed out its all D&M so it doesnt surprise me. How can you really expect Mac to make so many different types of products.
* I do believe that Mac did upgrade the analog section on this player though
** And I think you should establish a better relationship with your dealers because they should have known about this it they are authorized dealers. But with your attitude on this kind of stuff I wouldnt be surprised if they just told you to f off since your just a waste of time

But what I love is a Mac person. Most of them will buy anything Mac just to have a Mac, they dont care much to listen or test before they buy, they just buy it because its a Mac it must be good lol. But they do have amazing quality, but in my opinion you can find better for the money

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 37
Not enough info to judge. Is the circuit board the same? Any design changes? Upgraded parts? Better power supply? Better warranty?

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 37
The Marantz UD9004 is based on the same design and chassis too, who cares? They are all owned by the same parent company, you'd expect them to share designs. The ES350 is essentially a spiffed a Camry. The LX570 is a spiffed up Land Cruiser. What's your point exactly?

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by SB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mcintosh and their dealers have said that the MVP881 has no connection to the denon DVD-A1UDCI but the pictures and specs prove otherwise.

The pictures may show a connection, but there are distinct differences in the layout evidenced by the placements of the analog outs. It's difficult to tell how great these differences may be without more to go on.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pictures may show a connection, but there are distinct differences in the layout evidenced by the placements of the analog outs. It's difficult to tell how great these differences may be without more to go on.

So you agree with me?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #11 of 37
Yes, if by that you mean that there's a paucity of info and this subject is likely being brought up because comparing high/low market BD players is currently in vogue after the Oppo clones.

I'm sure we agree on many other things too, but isn't it ever more interesting when we don't?
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 37
But mcintosh and its dealer networks outright lied when they said that the players had no connections.

-DAC's are the same.
-Video processor is the same.
-DSP is the same.
-HDMI and anything digital are the same.

I expect that mcintosh swapped out the power supply for some ancient design and same with the analog outputs and with anything high end I doubt this will make any difference, especially in the power supply section.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #13 of 37
McIntosh buys drives from whoever meets their design criteria and shares several internal components with a variety of manufacturers. They purchase bits and pieces from companies all over the globe. They also design and build their own power supplies, fabricate their own chassis in house and engineer their own software. There are only so many ways to put similar components, drives, power supplies and drives in a box. Good engineering practices dictate that the rear panels would have similarities in how outputs are grouped.
Are their products high on the curve of diminishing return? Mostly yes. Don't use that to call them liars, though. These are luxury goods built to a higher standard than most of the products on the market.
Would I pay new retail for the MVP881? Not a chance. I don't have that kind of money to throw around and am not serious about video/surround sound quality to the degree that I want to spend thousands for a DVD player, no matter how good it sounds or how good the video output appears. I've experienced a truly amazing $1,000,000+ home theater and enjoyed every minute of it. I doubt I'd buy that league of equipment even if I won a lottery, but it was a blast!
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 37
Another useless speculation thread by SB. Give us internal shots if you want to make a point. Pasting image links to the back panels of two pieces of gear proves absolutely nothing. I could have a back panel made with all the same connections as those two and have an empty box inside; does this mean my box is a rebadge? I highly doubt you know what that word even means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back