MBP > D10/uDAC/? > ESW10JPN
Apr 9, 2010 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

milesandcoltrane

100+ Head-Fier
I've scoured through many of the ESW10JPN threads looking for advice on what portable DAC/amp to get for the ESW10JPN. Some say these cans don't benefit from an amp, some say if its a DAC/amp the difference is noticeable. But specific models recommendations are few and far between, at least FWIR.

I'm running ALAC/FLAC files played via iTunes/Play on my Macbook Pro. The MBP has an optical out so I'd like to take advantage of this, provided the SQ is higher than the USB out for the portable DAC/amp recommended.

The uDAC can't be ignored for its amazingly low price. HPA's review is very encouraging. But there seem to be some people with issues - but mostly the hotaudio fiasco I think.

The D10 seems to be quite reasonable in price, offers tweak-ability with opamp swapping and all. And best of all offers an optical input. The D4 is said to be better via USB when compared to the D10 USB but what about D4 USB compared to D10 optical? I reckon someone might have asked this but I can't quite seem to spot the answer in the searches I've done.

I was also thinking of a Home DAC/amp since the improvement in SQ might be better, but this kinda renders the portability factor moot, which is the reason I bought the ESW10JPN in the first place. Still its something to consider do offer your opinions =)

Budget wise, something below 300 would be very preferable. Reason being I'm kinda still pining for the JH13 and gotta reserve funds for that. If any DAC/amp below 300/400 bucks is not gonna offer much improvement to the ESW10JPN then I reckon I might be wiser in exercising some restraint and skipping this DAC/amp upgrade altogether.

Do let me know guys and girls!

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply vkvedam! Sorry for the late reply, as its been a while since I visited this sub-forum and I'm currently thinking of selling my esw10 to fund the JH13. I'm having a hard time doing that though, cuz these cans are wonderful at what they are designed to do.

Anybody else would like to chime in on dac/amp combos or separate units for the esw10?

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 5
i agree with your logic - ESW10 would seem to benefit from a DAC/AMP (hence only when using it on a computer), but not with AMP only (when you go portable).

That being the case, I think you're on the right track with the D10, with the optical input. I have the d10 and I enjoy the SQ is a whole lot better when using it as a DAC/AMP via usb, than portable amp only. I can only imagine that its a lot better if optical is used.

However, if you are really pining for the JH13, i suggest you skip the D10 altogether and get a DAC/AMP that benefits the JH13 (balanced, portable?)

In any case, let me know if you get rid of the ESW10 :) i might be on the hunt for one!

May 1, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah I might just skip the dac/amp upgrade and get the JH13 straight up. But, I really love the ESW10, and don't really want to part with it. I might need to if I want to get the JH13 though. Bleah. This sucks. Cowincanada, I'm in Singapore so shipping would be an issue. I'll let you know via PM. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back