MB Quart Phones 85
May 24, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #76 of 293
Where have you guys been finding all these NOS Quart headphones? Ive been looking on Ebay and some other places (even on the for sale forums here) and nothing really shows up.

May 24, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #77 of 293
www.electronicsbonanza.com has the qp45x, qp55x, and qp220 (but they're out of stock on the qp805 for sure).

I'd sure like to know where that NOS qp70 came from. Or maybe it came from the same place i got my QP85 and i just didn't notice it there.

PM me if you want to know where to get the last known QP85 for $125 (originally $250). Just because i wanna know who bought it.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #78 of 293
Speaking of which - who should i talk to at MB Quart to see if they can sell me new foam lining for my not-quite-NOS (store demo unit) QP85?

Or, anybody know where to get really thin foam? (other than begging Precide SA to sell me a partial jecklin foam kit)

May 24, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #79 of 293
I got the QP70 from same exact place you got your QP85. Now the last pair of QP85 was is gonna go, it's so sad, i was hopping it would go down in price and I would get it in a year or so, LOL.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #80 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of which - who should i talk to at MB Quart to see if they can sell me new foam lining for my not-quite-NOS (store demo unit) QP85?

Or, anybody know where to get really thin foam? (other than begging Precide SA to sell me a partial jecklin foam kit)

Email this guy: Peter Grooff [peterg at maxxsonics dot com], he was super nice to me.

May 29, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #82 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you mean up against the ear or the stuff inside the back grill? I'm pretty sure any thin acoustically-clear foam should do the trick. The stuff is practically free. Anyway, MB told me the only parts they have left for the old float frame is the earpads-- and they also sent me a free pair just for asking.

May 29, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #83 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean up against the ear or the stuff inside the back grill? I'm pretty sure any thin acoustically-clear foam should do the trick. The stuff is practically free. Anyway, MB told me the only parts they have left for the old float frame is the earpads-- and they also sent me a free pair just for asking.

Earpads? These black things that are in the back of the headphones?
icon10.gif

May 29, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #84 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Up against the ear stuff. It's deteriorating.

I know it's almost free, but i can't find it locally in pieces big enough for these. mcmaster-carr item number 86225k11 looks like it'd do, but it's a 24"x24" sheet for about $4 + god knows what for shipping.

You mean the black vinyl covered bits? Mine are a bit warped from store demo use, would be keen to have a new set. I'll have to ask 'em.

May 29, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #85 of 293
why not use speaker fabric? Should do the trick just as well. Personally, I've been going bare screen, just out of laziness.

Yeah, and by earpad I mean those L-shaped cushions that sit against your neck. Be glad you have QP85 and not PMB floats-- in the old version you had to peel up those cushions to get at the screws that hold the sides together.

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #87 of 293
iirc they're glued on, but i didn't really inspect that area. could be doubletaped.

glue would be in keeping with the usual float earspeaker manufacturing method, though.

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #88 of 293
Yep, pretty much just sealed to the baffle. Older PMB versions of this float had a different construction with a raised unibody bracket plate raised from the rest of the frame.

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #89 of 293
Interesting, I think one of my drivers is just a millimeter lower than the other one. Looks like it does not affect sound but I can see it if I really look closely.

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #90 of 293
Ok... so I have been comparing QP85 and K340 and so far I like the soundstage on QP85 much much better. My K340 is not moded in anyway, and I wounder how much cotton thing changes the soundstage aspect of these headphones. In general K340 seems too dark and mellow sounding for my taste. QP85 sound very bright and somewhat clinical but is really does not bother me as much as slightly dark sound of K340. I know some of you had both, what is your take on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back