Mazda MX-5, Miata for americans
Jan 18, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
I've driven my friend's Honda S-2000 a few times recently and I'd love to own a car like that, but I"m 6'2" and around 270 pounds so small cars are annoying. I felt like Tyrone getting out of the little british tin can-mobile in the movie Snatch. Wearing a leather jacket too that kind of sqeaked against the leather of the seats.

I know someone who is building a Miata with a S2000 motor.i don't think I will
race with my 5.0 convertable,maybe if I ram him first.................................

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
should I go for it or not....

Not if you're into long distance driving. Put a hundred miles on it, non-stop, get out and see how your back feels.

The seats of the Miatas are its weakest point. I tried last year's seats and the fabric felt very slippery.

I live in Pheonix. I'm the guy driving the Miata with the top down. Hey, if it's over 55 degrees Farenheit the top goes down. I turn the heater full blast and button up my jacket.

Check the lights up in the mountains. I have a 1990 MX5M1 and love my pop-ups. If the lights on mountain highways and roads are as good as the 2005 Mustang, go for it. But you may not want posi-traction, supposedly it kills "drifting."
If you have windy roads, you'll love it.

But I gotta warn you, once you drive a convertible it may be very hard to go back to a covered wagon.

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
Low 20's last time I checked. It could be better.

Turbo charged.

I get about 28 mpg average on my 1990 M1.

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #50 of 55
do they still offer the hard-top?

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
do they still offer the hard-top?

hardtops are still available

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Not if you're into long distance driving. Put a hundred miles on it, non-stop, get out and see how your back feels.

The seats of the Miatas are its weakest point. I tried last year's seats and the fabric felt very slippery.

Your mileage will vary. Check out Miata.net and there's always debate over which Miata has the most comfortable seats. I prefer the "surfboards" in my 2001 to the 1999-2000 version. Haven't spent enough time in the first gen to weight in on that.

From a pure seating standpoint, the Miata is the most comfortable car I've owned. My back feels worse getting out of the Protege after a long trip. My 1999 Integra had nice seats, but the Miata's fit me better.

I'm sure there are better seats out there. I just haven't owned them yet.

Quote:

But I gotta warn you, once you drive a convertible it may be very hard to go back to a covered wagon.

Agreed. I want to always have one in the family now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
huh?

Air brakes=pop-up headlights.
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear
You must have the Miata confused with the MR2 Spyder.

As I said earlier, my 2001 can be pretty practical. It holds a week's worth of groceries for 2 people in the trunk alone. I've fit a suitcase and a weekend bag in the trunk at the same time. It's certainly enough for one person. My wife and I have have found enough room for both of us.

The first gen Miatas had a spare tire that really encroached on trunk space. That's part of the reason I didn't get one. Plus I don't like air brakes.

During my time with the car I've also learned some things about security since it's a car you can theoretically steal with a pair of scissors. Mine has an immobilizer (not sure what year that became standard) which is supposed to work fairly well. I don't leave anything valuable in the passenger compartment, but I do leave the doors unlocked. I'd rather not have the top slashed. The trunk has a release handle inside, but you can defeat that by locking the trunk from outside, which is pretty neat.

I can fit my clubs in the trunk with two provisio's...My driver rides shotgun with me (it's too long), and I have to use my 'carry/ kickstand' bag as a regular bag is just too chunky.
Don't mide the air-brakes
tongue.gif
one way or t'other
You live and learn....I've had mine going on 3 years now and never knew about the release handle being able to be defeated from the outside...great tip...Ain't this site grand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back