Mazda MX-5, Miata for americans
Jan 16, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #16 of 55
I've driven my friend's Honda S-2000 a few times recently and I'd love to own a car like that, but I"m 6'2" and around 270 pounds so small cars are annoying. I felt like Tyrone getting out of the little british tin can-mobile in the movie Snatch. Wearing a leather jacket too that kind of sqeaked against the leather of the seats.

Jan 16, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Because people usually think it's driven by secretaries who just want a cute looking car. Or homesexual men.

A stereotype created by the firebird & 5.0 crowd of the mid 80's. Since only super-masculine manly men could drive those "beasts", then the lil' miata must have been for women & sissies.

I'm serious, if you find some vintage car magazines the artwork, cartoons, & letters from readers will all reflect the mentality.

But the times change, now nobody with an insecure sexuality would be caught dead in anything that doesn't have 4 wheel drive and gets 11mpg. If you drive one of those 5.0's or firebirds your family tree is going to be questioned.

For the record, I drive a 10 year old Mrage. I'm just poor.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #19 of 55
screw what people think, like everyone has said, miata's are the very definition of cheap speed in auto-x's and tracks

although i am a bit partial to mr-2's having owned an NA 91, those are also a blast

Jan 16, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #20 of 55
I have an 01 5-speed and the thing is awesome.

-It's extremely well balanced.
-The steering feel is excellent.
-The gearbox is one of the best out there.
-It's light. This helps in nearly every performance metric.
-It's easy to drive.
-It's a blast with the top down.
-It feels faster than it is.
-It's so small and agile that you can drive it pretty much anywhere.
-You can park it anywhere.
-You can raise and lower the top with one hand and while seated.
-It's cheap to buy and own.
-It's a chick car in that women are the ones giving compliments.

Seriously, I love this car. It just feels... right. I test drove it on a whim and within 30 seconds it felt like the car was made for me.

I have several friends who are into performance cars. All of them have more expensive, more powerful cars. The ones who've driven my Miata quickly came to appreciate it and had a blast in the process.

Don't worry about the Miata making people perceive you as a wuss. If you're that worried about what people think of your car, then it's probably too late.

Jan 17, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #21 of 55
The miata is an amazing car, I love them. They'r super fun to drive, easy to tune, and affordable.... what's not to like? People who call the miata a chick car have never driven one.
icon10.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 55
It think it looks like a chick car myself, I mean, it's so darn small and rounded and sissy looking. But hey, if it drives well, who the heck cares about that kind of stuff? Go for it. I bet it gets goos mileage being as small as it is.

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
I bet it gets goos mileage being as small as it is.

Low 20's last time I checked. It could be better.

Jan 17, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
Mazda Miata was named #2 in The Greatest Sports Cars, a show in Discovery Channel. Porsche 911 got the first spot.

Yeah and one of the main knocks against it on the show was that all the critics and some former F1 driver said it was a chick car...

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
The Infiniti G35 is a real chick car:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56721

Kinda cute, but the reaction it has generated is pretty sad. Some people are flipping out. Haters are relishing that tough guys may have a "sanitary napkin" in their coupes.

I think it's a good idea. It handles a key feminine emergency and can also be used as a sterile bandage.

God forbid people make cars that cater to women too.

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
People are idiots. They used to call the V6 Camaro and Firebird secretary cars too.

I like the Mazdaspeed MX-5, myself, but definitely prefer the RX-7.

the rx7 is also a great car, especially the 3rd generation (FD3S) ones. unfortunately they don't feel as nimble as the miatas do but they make up for it in speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back