Mazda MX-5, Miata for americans
Jan 16, 2006 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

cylanes

100+ Head-Fier
I`m very tempted to buy one a 1999 model. After the test drive I had a big grin on my face.

should I go for it or not....

Jan 16, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 55
It's kind of a chick car in my opinion, but if you like it then go for it...btw, I'm assuming you're a guy...
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 55
YES!

I had one back in 1993-94. I wish I still had it. I can only imagine how much better they have gotten since then. The Miata ranks in the top 5 favorite cars I have ever owned.

Jan 16, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
It's kind of a chick car in my opinion, but if you like it then go for it...btw, I'm assuming you're a guy...
tongue.gif

your assumption is correct, plz explain why do you think of the MX-5 as a chick car?

Jan 16, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
your assumption is correct, plz explain who do you think of the MX-5 as a chick car?

Because people usually think it's driven by secretaries who just want a cute looking car. Or homesexual men.

Of course, the reality is that the MX-5 is one of the best affordable sports car on the planet. A true homage to the bare essentials of what makes a great driver's machine: low weight, precise controls, superbly balanced handling, and driver involvement. Any car enthusiast who really understands what makes a car great will understand that the MX-5 is a special car, and those that really have *driven* it well respect it.

The real demographics of the car tend to be straight white aging males who used to own British sports cars.
Go to Miataforum.com for the best place to discuss MX-5's. The people there are the most level headed group of car enthusiasts on any car forums I've seen.

The NB generation (99-2004) were great cars....utterly reliable, cheap to own and a blast to drive. The 99's and 00's were the lightest of that generation before they added extra weight in 2001

I think this blog says it best

http://www.nsxfiles.com/wurth_willow_july_02.htm

Scroll down to the picture of the white Miata

elsewhere in that page Quote:

You think Miatas are girly cars? I used to think like that. Until I heard that pole for Laguna Seca was a 1:48.xx! ****.....most people are happy if they can get their NSX or M3 or third gen RX-7 or Vette or Viper below 1:50 at Laguna Seca!! Lot of people are buying Miatas to race in this spec series, as the cost is cheap, parts are cheap, the race groups are huge, and you go fast enough to scare yourself! Kinda makes you go hummmmm......

The aftermarket for the Miata is big....LOTS of modding opportunties. Instead of modding cables for your cans, you'll be modding the car to listen to the sweet sounds of exhaust notes
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 55
Miatas are tons of fun to drive. They're a driver's car: lightweight, RWD, 50/50 weight distribution, good gearbox. It's not about power; it's about an entire package that just works really well. I've never driven another car that handles as well as my old 1990 Mariner Blue Miata did. If it puts a grin on your face and isn't too expensive, go for it.

They're generally very reliable too, and parts are readily available and cheap.

The downsides are noise, particularly with the soft top up, and the need for good tires if you're driving in wet weather. Miatas, even the NA, can handle snow, but only with snow tires.

BTW, don't let the "chick car" comments bother you. What would you rather have, a car that women like and ask for rides in, or a big beefy pickup truck that gets the guys excited? (Nothing wrong with getting the guys excited, if you swing that way, of course.)

Jan 16, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

tongue.gif

if you've done any track days and see how many miatas there are out there and how they can seriously kick your ass, you wouldn't call them a chick car. they might not have high horsepower but do really well at carrying speed and sticking through the corners.

Jan 16, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 55
I would love to get a miata if they weren't so damn small.. I'm 6'3'' and they feel like go-carts.

Jan 16, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

tongue.gif

In all actuality, it is a drivers car. pure and simple.

Jan 16, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 55
Based on looks alone is the reason I think it's a chick car...that's why I said it was only my opinion. I'm sure it drives just fine, but the vast majority of people I see in them are women, and when I see a man it one it looks odd to me.

Jan 16, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Based on looks alone is the reason I think it's a chick car...that's why I said it was only my opinion. I'm sure it drives just fine, but the vast majority of people I see in them are women, and when I see a man it one it looks odd to me.

just gotta swallow your pride, forget what everyone else things and go with your heart once in a while.

its a great car, **** what other people think. you'll love it and thats all that matters.

Jan 16, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 55
I like the looks, loves how it handles

I think I will......

Jan 16, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
just gotta swallow your pride, forget what everyone else things and go with your heart once in a while.

its a great car, **** what other people think. you'll love it and thats all that matters.

Exactly.... those who love serious driving will find a lot to love about the Miata. It's a serious driving machine for not so serious bucks. Sure there are some misinformed people that may dismiss the Miata as a "secretarial transport", based on looks, or paper benchracers who judge a car by horsepower, engine size or 0-60 numbers.

For the record, I remember reading that 60% of Miata drivers are male.

I think in the USA, the Miata/MX-5 is misunderstood more because most people in the country seem to want SUV's, and big engined sports cars to drive those long straight Interstate highways. The appeal of a ultra lightweight nimble sportscar is less appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back