Mazda MX-5, Miata for americans
Jan 17, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #31 of 55
I love my black on black '97.....The only downside is having to put it away for a few winter months every year as it sucks on snow. I live in the snow belt way up here, and it's just too scary to drive (RWD).Come April time though.....
biggrin.gif

And yes I fit the demographic to a T..Aging white male who used to own MG's back in the day...However this car beats them hands down for reliability. I just get it tuned up in the spring and its good to go.
Get one...

Jan 17, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #32 of 55
I'd like to have a Miata/MX-5, but the combination of two seats, no trunk, and lousy in snow means it'd have to be a second car. Which ain't gonna happen for me at this point.

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
I'd like to have a Miata/MX-5, but the combination of two seats, no trunk, and lousy in snow means it'd have to be a second car. Which ain't gonna happen for me at this point.

My wife has a Protege. I have the Miata. So we do have one practical car. If we had a kid, I'd probably have the Miata. If we had two kids, I'd likely be driving a WRX Wagon.

I made sure when I bought the Miata it would be practical enough for me. Two seats are fine.

The trunk is small, but it's easily big enough for a week's worth of groceries. We've also travelled for a week and packed everything in the Miata using the trunk and the bulkhead area behind the seats (with the top up).

It IS lousy in the snow, but you live in the D.C. burbs, as do I! It barely snows around here! Anyway, it's less about the drivetrain and more about the tires. A set of winter tires make the Miata an adequate snow car.

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #34 of 55
After a long thought, tossing and turning

I have decided to buy this beauty.

I`ll be soon a MX-5/Maita owner.

Yihaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear
My wife has a Protege. I have the Miata. So we do have one practical car. If we had a kid, I'd probably have the Miata. If we had two kids, I'd likely be driving a WRX Wagon.

I made sure when I bought the Miata it would be practical enough for me. Two seats are fine.

The trunk is small, but it's easily big enough for a week's worth of groceries. We've also travelled for a week and packed everything in the Miata using the trunk and the bulkhead area behind the seats (with the top up).

It IS lousy in the snow, but you live in the D.C. burbs, as do I! It barely snows around here! Anyway, it's less about the drivetrain and more about the tires. A set of winter tires make the Miata an adequate snow car.

Yeah, I've actually thought of that. This is my first winter here and I've already had a day off of work for an amount of snow nobody would have even noticed in Chicago, so I'm not entirely sure I need a good snow car and have been considering some more fun ones instead.

At the moment I'm liking the Subaru WRX and Legacy sedans - AWD, good power, and reasonably practical. Some of the RWD beasts around these days (350Z, Charger, GTO, etc.) actually cost more and aren't any faster, so I might have a hard time justifying one. RX-8 is nice too but I've seen some REALLY terrible mileage reports from owners.

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Because people usually think it's driven by secretaries who just want a cute looking car. Or homesexual men.

It's unfortunate but that's the general consensus, I've also seen sitcoms and films that played along to these generalizations. Only automotive enthusiasts will understand why men in the know drive Miatas. Also FWIW there were quite a few revisions to the latest model, including a nice bump in HP. I personally think the Miata/MX5 is a sweet car, I'm also really fond of the MR2 Spyder, S2000 and Pontiacs new convertible offering. I wouldn't mind owning any of them
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #37 of 55
One thing not mentioned is how incredibly stout the car is to modifications. The speed issue can be addressed if you are so inclined.

At least the 1.6/1.8 engines were detuned turbo derivatives. There were guys pushing over 300 rwhp with turbos on top of unopened engines. 3x the power with bolt-ons and no structural reinforcement. Someone was getting high 10s with RWHP in the 400s with just some headwork - the gearbox became the limitation at this point.

My old '97 went about 6 mos before an Autorotor blower was slapped on, then a year or so later had a FM II turbo and put down 245 rwhp (approx. 280 hp). Put coil-overs, 13 lb. 16" wheels, 4 pt. rollbar, various other small things and the thing was an incredibly nimble beast. I currently have a '95 Dinan M3 w/ vortech pushing about 8 pounds and that thing was at least as quick.

Point being, the Miata can be whatever you want it to be esp. if you're handy with hand tools. Light weight, perfect weight distribution, durable.

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
if you've done any track days and see how many miatas there are out there and how they can seriously kick your ass, you wouldn't call them a chick car. they might not have high horsepower but do really well at carrying speed and sticking through the corners.

yeah, they do have an image problem. they appear to be chick cars, but really i see more men driving them than women out on the road. and like 1/4 of those miatas have roll bars installed.

serious cars with a lame image is how i would describe them. i have yet to see one on the track though when i go (been out about 4x so far). but i do know they have a whole spec race class for these cars, and like i said saw plenty on the road with roll bars.

definitely fun to drive and a good car. whether that's enough to overcome the gay look is up to you.

cylanes, you won't be disappointed. though i dunno what kinda girls that car will attract you... heh he.

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #40 of 55
I have owned two miatas, a first and second generation. I eventually had sell it to get a four seater to accomodate for the needs of a growing family. They are excellent driving cars, not fast in acceleration but very fast in the curves. Definitely one of the funnest cars I've ever driven. Glad to see you've decided to join the club.
icon10.gif

Don't know if it's been mentioned already, but check out http://www.miata.net and be sure to subscribe to the monthly magazine.

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #41 of 55
Let's get something straight - this car was designed as homage to the British roadsters of the 60s and 70s... it more or less is intended to be a modern version of the original Elan. Look at the resemblence.

kf00hv.jpg

In fact there was an Elan in the design studio at the time of the original clay mockup.

That somehow they've been branded a 'chick' car says much more about where our society has headed rather than the design of the car itself. And as noted their primary demographic are middle aged men who drove British roadsters in their youth... it's a nostalgia thing.

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #42 of 55
BBC's Top Gear tested the new one.
Hammond & Clarkson got out of their Veyron/M5/<insert exotica here> for long enough to drive it and declared it a "fantastic" car.
Wish I had one.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
Mazda Miata was named #2 in The Greatest Sports Cars, a show in Discovery Channel. Porsche 911 got the first spot.

I saw that documentary. There was also comments by a few of the more macho judges that the Miata is a "chic car."

That said. The only qualm I would have with the car is that you probably will have to buy a second car to go with it. From what I've read and seen, a fun drive is the only purpose of the miata. If you ever need to get groceries or pack a small luaggage for a business trip... you'll need a car with usable trunk space.

But it you only intend to drive it for fun... then I don't see why you shouldn't get a car you like. After all, it's your money.

For myself... I'm drooling for an M3.
icon10.gif
IMHO, if you get the four door version, the M3 is probably the best compromise between a fun driving sports car and a pragmatic compact.

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticky
If you ever need to get groceries or pack a small luaggage for a business trip... you'll need a car with usable trunk space.

For myself... I'm drooling for an M3. IMHO, if you get the four door version,

The trunk is five cubic feet. Not big but it's surprisingly useful still even if you need to get groceries or go on a weekend trip. Of course, if you are alone, the passenger seat is also usable as storage space.

Of course, the M3 is a nice ride, I'd like one too (even though there is no more 4 door version). But it's in a whole different price range than the MX-5 (as well as insurance, as well as crazy high upkeep costs). When you get into that price range, there's a whole lot of nice high powered cars to choose from.

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticky
That said. The only qualm I would have with the car is that you probably will have to buy a second car to go with it. From what I've read and seen, a fun drive is the only purpose of the miata. If you ever need to get groceries or pack a small luaggage for a business trip... you'll need a car with usable trunk space.

You must have the Miata confused with the MR2 Spyder.

As I said earlier, my 2001 can be pretty practical. It holds a week's worth of groceries for 2 people in the trunk alone. I've fit a suitcase and a weekend bag in the trunk at the same time. It's certainly enough for one person. My wife and I have have found enough room for both of us.

We reached capacity when my wife and I drove to New England for a week during Christmas. We had the trunk full with the weekend bag, suitcase, my briefcase, and a few gifts. The bulkhead had a few more gifts, her briefcase, and snacks. Cameras were stowed behind her seat. It was doable. It get ugly on the way back. We received some large gifts (example: PC case), and they wouldn't fit in the car with everything else. That stuff had to get shipped.

The first gen Miatas had a spare tire that really encroached on trunk space. That's part of the reason I didn't get one. Plus I don't like air brakes.

During my time with the car I've also learned some things about security since it's a car you can theoretically steal with a pair of scissors. Mine has an immobilizer (not sure what year that became standard) which is supposed to work fairly well. I don't leave anything valuable in the passenger compartment, but I do leave the doors unlocked. I'd rather not have the top slashed. The trunk has a release handle inside, but you can defeat that by locking the trunk from outside, which is pretty neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back