Maybe headphone collecting isn't so bad
Jul 11, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #31 of 86
I can think of 10,000 witty things to say.... every one would get me banned for life.

well just imagine the pillow talk: "Oh baby, you still have that new toy smell....."

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #32 of 86
Imagine the possibilities when robot tech has matured
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #33 of 86
Persocoms!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hideki Motosuwa
Persocoms. Beautiful, obedient... fully functional. They're perfection.

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #34 of 86
The US is supporting Japan in its quest to develop into an active great power, with all the trappings: offensive military, security council seat, and diplomatic leverage. Much of this in response to the rise of China. But honestly, I don't know whether to root for Japan anymore...I have Chinese friends and they have explained all the little things I didn't understand about that culture, but Japan.. i just don't get Japan....

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #35 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can think of 10,000 witty things to say....

instead of buying some rubbers for protection, he's buying rubber bodies....
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #36 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The interesting thing is that 40 years ago in Japan, he wouldn't have even been expected to love real women. You were expected to get married, and you got married because society expected you to, not necessarily because you had love for the person you married. That expectation is still true (in fact, him being unmarried is probably more socially unacceptable in Japan then owning the dolls), though social attitudes about love have and are changing. The closest parallel I can draw is with homosexuality in Japan; most homosexual Japanese of that man's age maintain heterosexual marriages due to social expectation.

For a related twist to this story that illustrates some of this, it's worth reading about Enjo Kosai:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enjo_k%C5%8Dsai
About 15% of Japanese high school girls participate in this, and most of their customers are married Japanese men. It's not considered as shocking as it would be in the west.

just because it's the norm there doesn't mean it isn't creepy. not so much the "expected to be married" thing, but the whoring out high school girls, and other weird **** like that.

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #37 of 86
Each to there own. This isn't hurting anybody. One should not judge the culture and mores of another society without understanding it.

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #38 of 86
Wow, it's almost like as if one had walked into a wax museum or make that silicone museum.
icon10.gif
Didn't know that there is an actual showroom for those dolls, I don't think the makers of Real Doll has a showroom for their dolls.

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #39 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Each to there own. This isn't hurting anybody. One should not judge the culture and mores of another society without understanding it.

X4

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #40 of 86
Quote:

Each to there own. This isn't hurting anybody.

agreed--expect he might be hurting himself emotionally.

Quote:

One should not judge the culture and mores of another society without understanding it.

like slavery, child prostitution, domestic violence, etc..

I don't need to fully understand everything about another culture to know that certain things are unacceptable and wrong.
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #42 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed--expect he might be hurting himself emotionally.

like slavery, child prostitution, domestic violence, etc..

I don't need to fully understand everything about another culture to know that certain things are unacceptable and wrong.
wink.gif

I must have missed something, I didn't see slavery, child prostitution or domestic violence mentioned in the thread.
wink.gif
Having an age of consent in Japan as low as 13 not something that I agree with. But I also cannot judge whether it is right or wrong for a culture I don't know a lot about. Just because what one perceives as right or wrong according to the standards we are bought up with, does not necessarily make one right.

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #43 of 86
Quote:

One should not judge the culture and mores of another society without understanding it.

mikuru.jpg

Yeah, I'm gonna get booted soon....
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #44 of 86
^Still laughing at that one!

I wonder how visits from the parents go. Or real girls for that matter. Culture or not, that many dolls is just creepy.

Man I wanna meet the girl that screwed him up!

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #45 of 86
Quote:

I must have missed something, I didn't see slavery, child prostitution or domestic violence mentioned in the thread.
wink.gif

You did? I was just making a vague point using some analogies.

Quote:

Having an age of consent in Japan as low as 13 not something that I agree with.

please be real--you can't judge whether it is right or wrong for 13 girl (what--a sixth grader) to have sex with an adult (18 or older)? I think most, if not all 13 year olds don't have the capacity to fully understand the ramifications of giving consent.

Slavery has always been wrong regardless of whether it at one time had been culturally acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back