Maybe headphone collecting isn't so bad
Jul 12, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #46 of 86
This is probably a Freudian field day. I'm glad I don't have to be this mans therepist.

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #47 of 86
This thread is funny. As far as I remembered crime rate in Japan is much lower than it is in US or any other developed country. Maybe US citizens better of being a pervert than a criminal or rapist
wink.gif

Btw, for those who like to bash other culture, you do know Dog is considered a delicacy in Asia
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #48 of 86
It seems everyone believes this only occurs in Japan. People own sex dolls in America, and sex dolls are manufactured and sold in America, as well as other countries. All of the 'difference in culture' arguments are invalid, really, because it happens here, as well. Sure, this guy may be a bit off, but he represents a small minority, also known as 'those that are a bit off', and should not be construed as representative of Japan or sex doll owners in general.

I'm sure there are hundreds of people that just shag the thing and throw it in the closet.
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #49 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, for those who like to bash other culture, you do know Dog is considered a delicacy in Asia
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nah, dog is more like a 'last resort' food in most countries. Ancient S. Americans were the only people who specifically bred dogs for food.

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #52 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You did? I was just making a vague point using some analogies.

please be real--you can't judge whether it is right or wrong for 13 girl (what--a sixth grader) to have sex with an adult (18 or older)? I think most, if not all 13 year olds don't have the capacity to fully understand the ramifications of giving consent.

Slavery has always been wrong regardless of whether it at one time had been culturally acceptable.

Right and wrong is not black and white, nor universal.

Right and wrong is dictated by what is acceptable in a given society or culture, in a given time period.

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #53 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is funny. As far as I remembered crime rate in Japan is much lower than it is in US or any other developed country. Maybe US citizens better of being a pervert than a criminal or rapist
wink.gif

I think the American mentality is very different. In the US we have a saying the squeaky wheel gets the oil and in Japan (I think) it's the tall flower gets cut. I am making an assumption, but the criminal justice system in Japan is probably much tougher than the US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right and wrong is not black and white, nor universal.

Right and wrong is dictated by what is acceptable in a given society or culture, in a given time period.

Like the Nazis
very_evil_smiley.gif

Acceptability, societal or cultural norms IMO aren't always an accurate gauge to right and wrong. Though, in general I am a grey type of person because black and white isn't usually always the case, but there are exceptions like the Holocaust. I think we can all (hopefully) argee killing innocence people is wrong.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #54 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like the Nazis
very_evil_smiley.gif

All hail the invocation of Godwin's Law!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #55 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All hail the invocation of Godwin's Law!
smily_headphones1.gif

what other example beside one that invokes "Godwin's Law" would you have used to make the same or similar point as I wanted to make?

offer something better, please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #56 of 86
Can we all agree that irrespective of cultural differences of the nations, this guy is likely an extreme, and that although the interview is of course edited, his quotes indicate his turn to silicone was not simply for sexual satisfaction? Real or imagined, he feels he can not love women, they may cheat on him and he would not own them 100%, the way he can with his toys. His quotes are far stranger than just the dolls. Put another way, some societies may accept or frown more on masturbation than others, but any turn exclusively to masturbation because the opposite sex was say filthy? Wouldn't that step be beyond simple cultural differences? There are groups like the Shakers disappearing because of non-procreation, but they don’t believe sexual desire is good, it should be nurtured, but it can’t be with other humans, so you can’t have sex. Separating love from sex (and of course history plays a part in mating examples here as mentioned by others earlier), it doesn’t sound like he thinks love is impossible. He just can’t love real women. So if he wants love and he wants sex, but he believes neither is possible for him with real humans. Can that be just a cultural difference?

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #57 of 86
This guy's fetish isn't about societal, culture or such differences or even right or wrong but about this guy's inability to score chicks and deal with human relations. I guess if he wants 100% submission without any risk then sex dolls are as close to perfect as he'll get. But he's missing out on so much. I think if he could score chicks, he wouldn't want or need to hump silicone.

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #58 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we all agree that irrespective of cultural differences of the nations, this guy is likely an extreme, and that although the interview is of course edited, his quotes indicate his turn to silicone was not simply for sexual satisfaction? Real or imagined, he feels he can not love women, they may cheat on him and he would not own them 100%, the way he can with his toys. His quotes are far stranger than just the dolls. Put another way, some societies may accept or frown more on masturbation than others, but any turn exclusively to masturbation because the opposite sex was say filthy? Wouldn't that step be beyond simple cultural differences? There are groups like the Shakers disappearing because of non-procreation, but they don’t believe sexual desire is good, it should be nurtured, but it can’t be with other humans, so you can’t have sex. Separating love from sex (and of course history plays a part in mating examples here as mentioned by others earlier), it doesn’t sound like he thinks love is impossible. He just can’t love real women. So if he wants love and he wants sex, but he believes neither is possible for him with real humans. Can that be just a cultural difference?

That is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chobits all over. And most disturbing was the last buncha dolls in that vid - look at the eyes. Not realistic eyes. ANIME eyes.
redface.gif

Oh and check this out-

http://anarchy.translocal.jp/non-japanese/popular.html

Interesting note about the Walkmans being an indication of Japan's technological advances resulting in societal isolation. But I think Head-fi's existence (and Meets) prove the latter part of this discussion, that technology has advanced to the point were all these isolated bits have the freedom to congregate if they choose, either anonymously (and therefore protecting their comfort away from society) or in meets (if they're feeling frisky).

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #59 of 86
Hey, don't be dissin' Chobits now. There's a difference between a monumentally advanced android that is capable of truly loving, and a bunch of creepy lifeless dolls.

(If you can't tell, I am a big Chobits fan. It is a beautiful and deeply moving story and doesn't deserve to be lumped into the same category as this.)

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #60 of 86
Well, as for me, as long as he doesn't do anything criminal, I don't care what he's collecting. What he's collecting is controversial but who are we to judge where it's possible for citizens to be a gun collector which will be controversial in other country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back