Maybe headphone collecting isn't so bad
Jul 12, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #61 of 86
If someone chooses to love and have sex with a bunch of guns, because he claims he can't love another person, I doubt he's going to be much accepted here or anywhere else.

And why is criminality the only judgment? That can be at least as arbitrary as general morality. Plus how do you review movies, books, who to date, where to shop, what headphones to use, etc?
wink.gif

Context is extremely important, and maybe in different ways that’s what everyone is trying to do, but again, does anyone doubt what he’s after ideally from what he’s saying? He’s looking for love, sex, companionship. He’s afraid of relationships with humans. Why shouldn’t that be discussed/questioned? Do you think that is strength? Sounds like a strong weakness to me. I seriously doubt most Japanese believe they are unable to have relationships with other humans. Certainly no one here called for him to be put in jail or even to stop what he's doing, etc. but that’s not the end all of discussion is it?

And this isn't similar to a discussion of individuals who choose to remain single or are gay, lesbian or bi-sexual or have a rare fetish. This is a man who believes he's unable to love another human, so he buys many plastic replicas of what he can't love.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #62 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a man who believes he's unable to love another human, so he buys many plastic replicas of what he can't love.

Someone should make a film...

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #64 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just glad they didn't mention some of the mods he's carried out on his faves.

'Tweaks', really...
wink.gif

Seriously, do you think he has different dolls for different, er, purposes? Stax for Classical, Grado, for rock...and et cetera? This is Sushi, she has a nice, firm, round bottom end. Sake here, on the other hand, has a more lush middle and a warmer presentation. Tubi, however, is just plain liquid...
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #65 of 86
novus123.jpg

"I'm buying this stuff for my girlfriend, ....... yeah, thats right, my girlfriend."

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #66 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right and wrong is not black and white, nor universal.

Right and wrong is dictated by what is acceptable in a given society or culture, in a given time period.

I concur. Only a sith lord believes in absolutes.

Damn, gotta stop making star wars references on the geek boards.

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #67 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'Tweaks', really...
wink.gif

Seriously, do you think he has different dolls for different, er, purposes? Stax for Classical, Grado, for rock...and et cetera? This is Sushi, she has a nice, firm, round bottom end. Sake here, on the other hand, has a more lush middle and a warmer presentation. Tubi, however, is just plain liquid...
wink.gif

Undoubtedly .....I would imagine that he demands a certain degree of 'customisation' from the manufacturer if he's spending that kind of dough. Seemingly his Darth-Geisha doll was deemed too disturbing to be filmed.

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #69 of 86
This is all very interesting. Years ago, I was in contact with some folks who had very "alternative" sexual interests. Some had loving, "normal" relationships in spite of their unusual tastes, others did not. Their sexual choices did not determine their ability to love. On the other hand, I've worked for eight years in a center that treats sexual addiction along with other addictions and compulsive disorders. The range is from the super freaky (how in the world did you come up with that) to ones we can all probably guess at and at least understand a little. A common denominator of those in treatment is the inability to form satisfying intimate relationships with a partner on an emotional level and sometimes on a physical level as well. I know handsome, successful, charming, educated men, who could seemingly have their pick of available women, but can only "show interest" with the internet, or strangers, or whatever. I don't know how many times I've heard nearly identical statements to the ones this guy made in that clip. I also know seemingly girl-next-door types, personal friends, who claim to prefer toys to bothering with relationships. They aren't addicts, and some are married. They just gave up for whatever reason. They also say things like, "Well, at least this ____ won't cheat on me." I don't get it, but I know too many women like this to think it's unusual.

It's all very sad, but fascinating when we look at what it says about us as a culture. This guy has dolls. Is it really odder than the woman with vibrator collection and a closed-door policy on men or the guy who can't perform with a woman but has a hard drive filled with downloads? Okay, maybe, but what's underneath it is remarkably similar and more common than I think many suspect.

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #70 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur. Only a sith lord believes in absolutes.

Damn, gotta stop making star wars references on the geek boards.

But wasnt it Yoda who said that "There is a do and do not. There is no try." ? Does that mean Yoda is a sith? Oh, btw, this is kinda irrelevent

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #71 of 86
I'm tired of all these relativist moral lectures...this is the internet. If we can't show our parochial judgments to all the world, then half the internet would be useless.

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #72 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All hail the invocation of Godwin's Law!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But wasnt it Yoda who said that "There is a do and do not. There is no try." ? Does that mean Yoda is a sith? Oh, btw, this is kinda irrelevent

There also a comes a point in a lengthy thread where the probability of the thread devolving into dorks arguing over the meaning of something a Star Wars puppet said will reach one.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think this is known as Jar Jar's Delusion.

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #73 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There also a comes a point in a lengthy thread where the probability of the thread devolving into dorks arguing over the meaning of something a Star Wars puppet said will reach one.
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #74 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to understand the cultural differences related to sexuality in Japan. In Japan, sex is viewed as a bodily need that just needs to be satisfied. Thus, it's basically acceptable for a man to have sex on the side rather than with his wife. When viewed in that light, this kind of love doll thing is not as socially unacceptable or as shocking as it would be in the west. All he's doing is satisfying his "base" sexual needs.

you've got that down to a science. i may just pass up my assessment of your culture...

anyway, this may be just the thing for the religious "Do It Yourself" crowd. and as Duggeh mentioned, it is cheaper to make one; or was that, do it yourself
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #75 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

That is Darth Dork to you, ok? And we are not arguing, just shouting in a professional manor, similar to that of millions of people yelling at this guy with hundreds of oversized barbies. See what barbies do to you? They lure you to the Dark Side of your mothers basement, where the darkness is disturbed only by the occassional flicker of the muzzle-flash of Ken's new toy. Then, after years of this plastic-induced paranoia your mother eventually stops throwing food down to you, and you are forced to crawl up the stairs to the fridge, where you see the artificial light of day, and realize that you in fact do not need human love; you conclude that all is as evil as your mother, and instead relish the thoughts of mind-controling matches of red rover with your silicone based army of humanoid figurines with large, painted anime eyes. Thats what Barbies do to you.

Post Scriptus : I was being slighty sarcastic, so please do not take my words seriously. I do not want to be the center of the next arguement about morals and such. Just remember, If you cannot understand someone, make fun of them until you too have to run away from your mother's basement.

Post Post Scriptus: The Post Sciptus was also, purely sarcasticalish, so basically, you just spent like 5 minutes reading utter nonsense, so shame on you
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back