maximum bass
Jun 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 62
Jun 8, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #17 of 62
Some funny recomendations... I can't tell if people are being serious with all the beats/skullcandy recommendations but I'll tell you now they suck on bass, it's all mid humps and no sub woofs which I presume you're looking for.

For a good bass driven pair of headphones I'd first suggest the Pro-900 Ultrasone, second the hfi-780... both extremely copious amounts of bass and decent elsewhere in the spectrum. If however you're looking for more boom, think bass-boost I'd suggest the D2000... personally I liked this for D&B and hip hop, not so much with other electronica genres. Last but not least the $50 Sony XB500/700 has decent bass, it doesn't extend as low as the Ultrasones but it's certainly in your face, more so than the rest of the sound spectrum but then some people like that.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #19 of 62
I honestly don't think the 770 pro 80s can touch the XB700s in terms of pure, thunderous bass. The bass is not only thunderous, but sharp, and impactful. It doesn't sound boomy, like say the Koss UR40s which have strong, but muddy bass.

The XB700s respond quite well to the Fiio E5's bass boost, unlike the 770 pros, which just become a muddy mess all around.

I wouldn't get any other XB series except for the 700, if you want that intoxicating bass.

Bear in mind, that since the bass is so strong, you won't appreciate the details the XB700s can actually retrieve. The treble is very crisp.

I myself had a problem with the stitching irritating the side of my head after long sessions, so I returned them. They were without a doubt my absolute fave music headphone. The pads are sooooooo soft, like pillows. They just get hot and sticky, and the stitching rests right on your head. I have sensitive skin, so it hurt me like hell. Felt like sharp wires resting on my skin. If they were like the XB300 (which doesn't have exposed stitching), I would've never let them go.

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #20 of 62

I think you can see what type of bass I'm talking about it, lol.

It holds it's own on the other end of the spectrum too.

Not feeling that weird shape the 780 has.

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

I think you can see what type of bass I'm talking about it, lol.

It holds it's own on the other end of the spectrum too.

Not feeling that weird shape the 780 has.

The XB700 is bloated mid-bass, it isn't as deep, textured and impacting as the Ultrasone HFI-780. The problem with the XB range is that the bass is volumes louder than the rest of the spectrum, this works for some genres but most electronica bass-driven genres benefit from just as well with good mids where the XBs drop off.

I also wouldn't pay too much attention to the FR graphs, add the bass-light AKG K701 and see how that compared to the monstrous HFI-780.

The bottom line is the XB range are more toy-like, worth no more than there $50 price point. If you can afford a higher end Ultrasone you won't be disappointed.

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #23 of 62

Quote:
i currently own jvc marshmallows and ultrasone hfi-580's, both of which i love. however anyone that's used marshmallows knows how it's all bass, all the time. they're making my ultrasones sound anemic, and anyone who's used ultrasones knows there's plenty of bass. i need as much bass as a pair of headphones can possibly offer. what are the bassiest headphones you guys know of? i need at least marshmallow-level bass.

also i could probably benefit from an amp, but i played both of these through a millet hybrid and it didn't help the situation too much on either phone.

Auvio Retro Stereo Headphones

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #28 of 62
I also found the ES7 to have a LOOOOOOOOT of bass. I added the E5's bass boost, and it was DANGEROUS bass. Holy cow.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #29 of 62
Wish I was a basshead sometimes, then I wouldn't have to spend so much money on headphones. 

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #30 of 62

Quote:
I also found the ES7 to have a LOOOOOOOOT of bass. I added the E5's bass boost, and it was DANGEROUS bass. Holy cow.

Moreso than the XB700? How's the XB700 with E5 bass boost?

The ES7's look cool but I'd much rather have circumaural headphones unless the ES7 has superior bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back