maximum bass
Jun 10, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #32 of 62

Quote:
Moreso than the XB700? How's the XB700 with E5 bass boost?

The ES7's look cool but I'd much rather have circumaural headphones unless the ES7 has superior bass.

No way. The XB700s have bass of another level. They're the type of bass only the gods would appreciate, lol. Still, the ES7s have bass any basshead would approve of.

I agree about circumaurals, but figured I'd give the prettiest supra-aurals a try. They get uncomfortable quickly... no wonder I'd never buy them before/after these...

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #33 of 62
Best bass I've heard from a headphone is the pro750 and it's not even close.
If you want more quanity then just get the pro750 and tip up the bass via EQ - it manages to handle it very well as I just tried it with some twista and tech n9ne tracks.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #34 of 62
personally, I'm against using bass boost.

I feel as if it changes the characteristics of its sound signature and  makes the headphone some-what less unique. I strongly believe that some-what of the bass quality is lost as well. If you want a bassy headphone, find one that meets your criteria or return it if you're not satisfied, don't just start making random bass changes out of the clear blue sky[ thinking you're gonna get the most out of it].  

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #35 of 62
If you look at the FR of the XB 700 it is most likely what you want... and I happen to have a mint pair for sale... XD

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #36 of 62
I somewhat agree with you, but OP is asking for maximum bass. EQ-ing a bassy headphone won't totally change their signature. I agree that some headphones can sound like utter crap after some EQ-ing, but some get a massive boost to the low end, which is what some of us like.

I highly doubt someone going for maximum bass is going to be analyzing every little nuance in the sound.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #37 of 62

Quote:
Wish I was a basshead sometimes, then I wouldn't have to spend so much money on headphones. 

Still takes money to get good and low bass instead of just loud thuds. But The D2000 is pretty much almost there and thats in the same price range as the other mid-fi HD600, K701, DT880 etc

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #38 of 62

Quote:
Still takes money to get good and low bass instead of just loud thuds. But The D2000 is pretty much almost there and thats in the same price range as the other mid-fi HD600, K701, DT880 etc

you can actually get pretty decent bass out of an HD 600, but you need a top tier amp.

D2000 is a good choice for mid-fi, for cheap XB 700 is by far the bassiest of all the ones mentioned in this thread.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #39 of 62
Also a thing to note, the bass of the XB700 is clearly punchy, not muddy and uncontrolled compared to others in the price range. It's just VERY emphasized, and most people here like balanced, which is why the XB700s get overlooked.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #40 of 62

Quote:
Also a thing to note, the bass of the XB700 is clearly punchy, not muddy and uncontrolled compared to others in the price range. It's just VERY emphasized, and most people here like balanced, which is why the XB700s get overlooked.

Is that so? I have never tried them. But I think its up in display at best buy. Gotta go try them

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #41 of 62
Quote:
Graphicism, you had a mogami recabled HFI-780 right? Imo recabling to thicker cable enables a more full-bodied bass for ultrasones.

Yes I did however I bought them like that so I have no idea how they compare to stock, I'm not even sure I believe recabling does anything and if it does is so minute it's questionable.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #43 of 62

Quote:

yeah they do punch pretty hard and are not too muddy, but they are not nearly as tight as the denons so it is a bit of give and take. XB700 is what 90% of bassheads are looking for. If you have a good amp and want something more refined, then you go for denons.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:
Yes I did however I bought them like that so I have no idea how they compare to stock, I'm not even sure I believe recabling does anything and if it does is so minute it's questionable.

Imo what makes ultrasones sensitive to cables is that the stock cable is 10 ft (or 3 ft in ed8 and updated hfi-780), and imo the biggest difference is in the bass region. The funniest thing I read about the pro 900 was a head-fier describing his pro 900 as "intimate". No cotton modding but had the blue dragon cable which many people describe as intimate, but the funny part is he called his pro 900 intimate. I think the vast majority of people would call stock pro 900 the opposite of intimate.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #45 of 62

Quote:
Is that so? I have never tried them. But I think its up in display at best buy. Gotta go try them

I don't think you'll find them there. The only XB I have seen at BB (4 different locations) have been the XB500s. They definitely don't sound like the XB700. Walmarts have the XB300s on display...

Sokolov, I don't doubt that. I really wanted the D2000, but the fact that they leak made me go another way, which is how I ended up with the 770 pro 80s at that point as my basshead phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back