Maximo iM-590 microphonics issue - help!
Jul 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

used-2-rap-on-headphones

New Head-Fier
So as I write this I'm on hold with Monster hoping to get my failed turbines fixed on warranty, they keep playing a live 3 doors down song over and over again. I'm going to ask for some free **** because this is unbearable.

Anyway,

I picked up a pair of the iM-590's to tide me over until i get my Turbines fixed. I've been quite surprised with how they sound, especially for the price. I'd say they come very close to matching the turbine sound with more detailed but less visceral bass.

However, the right monitor has some horrible microphonics issue. Whenever any pressure is exerted I get a very loud 'staticky/squishy' noise. It happens when I put it in and even if I just barely touch the housing. I think it's an issue with the tip rubbing on the nozzle or the housing someplace. I've put many different types of tips on but it doesn't make a difference.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I would prefer not to send these back as I think they are quite nice and the fact that they weigh almost nothing makes them perfect for the gym. But this extra noise is a deal breaker as it completely drowns out the music on the right side when it happens.

Any suggestions or advice are much appreciated.

oh hey, Monster disconnected me. Great! Now I have to get back in the queue again....

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 6
If it is the sound of the diaphragm moving under the air pressure generated by inserting the IEM, then there is nothing you can do about it besides inserting it more gently. It is fairly common to find this issue on dynamic transducer based IEM. Microphonics refers to the noise generated / transmitted by the cable.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 6
It may be the diaphragm. Is the fact that it's only one of the monitors mean the right side is defective?

may bad on the nomenclature confusion. I'll step my game up
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Used-2, yes it is quite likely a driver issue, rather than microphonics from the cable.

Please submit an RMA form at maximoproducts.com/support, and we will quickly take care of it. In the form's comments, request to have a new unit issued before you send back the bad one so that you don't need to wait, earphone-less. You should have a replacement in a few days.

For the gym, are you connecting the shirt clip to the rubber slider, then clipping it to the top of your shirt? I'm hoping to get more user feedback from people using them in this way. Of course you probably need a set without the driver issue first!

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the response, Andrew! I'll submit the form today.

re the gym: I use a sansa clip, clipped to the waist band of my shorts, and then run the cable under my shirt, actually in between shirts as I wear a wife beater or undershirt and then another shirt on top of that. I use the slider to take some of the slack out around my neck but not the provided clip. I'm pretty tall so there isn't much slack left on the cable and the two shirts stop the cable from moving around. With other iem's, like the turbines, I would do the reverse mod and loop the wires over my ears, but that was because they weighed more and a lot of movement would cause them to shift easily. but the 590's are so light, and I get a good seal, that I can just wear them normally.

And again, I really like how these are sounding, even with minimal burn in. congrats on a nice product and thanks for keeping the price very reasonable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back