Maxed WA6SE with Sophia, my impressions so far
Jul 31, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #46 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to spice up the topic.

Ew, silver
tongue.gif

Where'd you get that huge dampener for the Sophia?

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #47 of 80
Jul 31, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #48 of 80
I love these Woo threads...

I just ordered an Emmission Labs 5U4G-Mesh rectifier as an alternative flavor to the Sophia. It should be here sometime next week and I'm looking forward to hearing how it changes things.

Since the last time I chimed in on a Woo thread I got the AH-D7000 with the JMoney replacement earpads. For me, it is an AMAZING match with the WA6SE!!

Also, I'm running RCA 6EW7 output tubes. I have two sets of them "stock" and one "kuhl-tube" cryo-treated pair. I can't say I hear any difference between the two - lesson learned. I couldn't use the fat-bottle 6FW7 Sylvanias I got form Jack...too much gain! I could probably stand to get the DACT upgrade since I listen at such low volumes but the thought of packing everything up to send back to Jack sounds like a lot of trouble!

Here's a recent pic of the rig:

BasementAudiovdone022.jpg

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #49 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love these Woo threads...

I just ordered an Emmission Labs 5U4G-Mesh rectifier as an alternative flavor to the Sophia. It should be here sometime next week and I'm looking forward to hearing how it changes things.

I'd be interested to hear your comparison of the two, as well. The EML 5U4G was recommended to me by Jack as well when I asked about alternatives to the Sophia, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to drop $280 USD on a rectifier tube just yet.

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #51 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be interested to hear your comparison of the two, as well. The EML 5U4G was recommended to me by Jack as well when I asked about alternatives to the Sophia, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to drop $280 USD on a rectifier tube just yet.

Not that it's much better than $280, but I paid $235 shipped from the US distributor from EML listed on their website. I wanted a backup for the Sophia and the extra $50 to try something else seemed reasonable. I'll be sure to post back on my impressions once I've done some meaningful listening.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #53 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that it's much better than $280, but I paid $235 shipped from the US distributor from EML listed on their website. I wanted a backup for the Sophia and the extra $50 to try something else seemed reasonable. I'll be sure to post back on my impressions once I've done some meaningful listening.

Thanks indydieselnut, your feedback would be very useful to get an idea of how this tube differs from the 274B in the WA6.

Hope you like what you hear
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, if that is a pool table behind your amp, thats an awesome listening room
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #55 of 80
Question for you WA6SE owners out there. My Sophia Princess died when my amp was at around 270hrs burn-in, and I switched back to the stock rectifier. My amp's now at 380hrs burn in, and honestly I think its sounding better now than it was when it still had the Sophia.

As a matter of fact it sounds bloody fantastic.

Is that just a case of the further 110hrs burn in of the blackgates improving clarity, or was my defective Sophia perhaps just not sounding as good as she should have? Because right now, I'm wondering why I'm even bothering to invest in other tubes.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #56 of 80
As i can recall, this should be your 2nd Sophia running out of order with your 6SE, that's too bad for the QC of Sophia, sorry about that. For my diy modded 6SE, I've it now at about 500 hrs and about 300 hrs on my 2nd Sophia 274B (I've replaced one by Jack) and luckly no problem at all till now.

I agree with you that the 6SE sounds fantastic and especially with Sophia, I've swapped to all my stock rectifiers such as RCA, Sylvania, GE, Tung Sol............ 5U4G (ST), none of them could compare with Sophia in all aspects of SQ but some really close, that's my point of view only. So I'm wondering that should be the affect of the defective Sophia.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #57 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As i can recall, this should be your 2nd Sophia running out of order with your 6SE, that's too bad for the QC of Sophia, sorry about that.

No, I've only had one Sophia fail on me, but all I have for a backup rectifier is the stock tube, the Sophia's still on her way back to the manufacturer for a warranty replacement.

The point I was rather clumsily trying to make is that I dont miss the Sophia, in fact I think the Woo's sounding better than it ever did. And I'm wondering if that's due entirely to Blackgate burn in, or if my old Sophia was end-of-life/dead on its heels, and so was not performing as it should have near the end there.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #58 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I've only had one Sophia fail on me, but all I have for a backup rectifier is the stock tube, the Sophia's still on her way back to the manufacturer for a warranty replacement.

The point I was rather clumsily trying to make is that I dont miss the Sophia, in fact I think the Woo's sounding better than it ever did. And I'm wondering if that's due entirely to Blackgate burn in, or if my old Sophia was end-of-life/dead on its heels, and so was not performing as it should have near the end there.

Sorry, my mistake.

Sure the fully burn-in/ settled BGs are affecting the sound that performing better and better. takezo stated that wait unitl 700 hrs of burn in, the BGs should be settled at that count, see what will happen again.

For the Sophia, you're waiting for the replacement anyway, why not put it back to your 6SE and let it burn in again, judge after that with a fully settled BGs' 6SE for the differs.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #59 of 80
Hehe, I know that amp personally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to spice up the topic.

5210_1187191326362_1425674254_30512094_645728_n.jpg

5210_1187191566368_1425674254_30512096_7782386_n.jpg

5210_1187191686371_1425674254_30512097_7420429_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back